RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers

Old 23rd April 2017, 11:06   #16
faley1992

That is the harsh reality I might have to face if I'm honest. But Im hoping the results I got in my hearing test at boots will be enough because I had 1 frequency at 35db, maybe the medical team will put that down to the damage on my ear drums, which was caused by the ear infection and tbh I was using cotton buds to clean them out during the ear infection.

Its been getting me down for the past week now and I just want answers from the medical team.
faley1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:39   #17
Llanigraham
An Ex - Bobby!!
Established Member

Sorry, but whatever result the hearing test at Boots has given, it will not be accepted by NR. They will only conduct the test themselves and will only go by that result.

And to the comment earlier about this being discrimination; rubbish. There is a proven safety case not to allow a person with a hearing impairment needing an artificial aid to undertake certain safety critical jobs that require a PTS Cert.
Llanigraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:36   #18
ExRes
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanigraham View Post
And to the comment earlier about this being discrimination; rubbish. There is a proven safety case not to allow a person with a hearing impairment needing an artificial aid to undertake certain safety critical jobs that require a PTS Cert.
I totally agree with your first comment, it's ridiculous to throw the 'discrimination' word around when the most important point is the safety of both the hearing impaired person and all those whose safety is dependent on that person

I'm not sure where I filed my old paperwork and whether it listed any 'cans' and 'cannots' in my safety case, as a driver though I was permitted to carry out all duties within the train and on and about the line including in yards, I did wonder whether a FOC would act in the same manner as a TOC when the amount of yard and infrastructure work was taken into account

One major point to consider in all this of course, is the fact that my safety case was all about me actually being employed when the hearing impairment came to light, I have major doubts as to whether a new entrant would have been given the same treatment as I was
ExRes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:59   #19
Llanigraham
An Ex - Bobby!!
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRes View Post
I totally agree with your first comment, it's ridiculous to throw the 'discrimination' word around when the most important point is the safety of both the hearing impaired person and all those whose safety is dependent on that person

I'm not sure where I filed my old paperwork and whether it listed any 'cans' and 'cannots' in my safety case, as a driver though I was permitted to carry out all duties within the train and on and about the line including in yards, I did wonder whether a FOC would act in the same manner as a TOC when the amount of yard and infrastructure work was taken into account

One major point to consider in all this of course, is the fact that my safety case was all about me actually being employed when the hearing impairment came to light, I have major doubts as to whether a new entrant would have been given the same treatment as I was
Exactly.
I continued my employment as a signaller after I was found to need a hearing aid, and my "Permit to Work" stated I had to wear my aid at all times. However when I looked at applying for the position of a Level Crossing Manager, it was pointed out that I could not get my PTS due to my aid, and therefore it was pointless applying.
Llanigraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 18:45   #20
faley1992

So today I visited my GP, which issued me with some proof of my ear infection pre-medical. I emailed this to my employer which sent it to the medical company. They have granted me a 6 month medical certificate, this will allow me to complete most of my apprenticeship, as well as plenty of time for my ears/eardrums to heal, which my GP has assured me that I should fly through the medical next time round. Unless I have some more bad luck with ear infections but... fingers crossed I will be ear infection free and have a long career on the railways.
faley1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 19:16   #21
ExRes
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faley1992 View Post
So today I visited my GP, which issued me with some proof of my ear infection pre-medical. I emailed this to my employer which sent it to the medical company. They have granted me a 6 month medical certificate, this will allow me to complete most of my apprenticeship, as well as plenty of time for my ears/eardrums to heal, which my GP has assured me that I should fly through the medical next time round. Unless I have some more bad luck with ear infections but... fingers crossed I will be ear infection free and have a long career on the railways.
Pleased for you, can I advise you to get on top of any problem as quickly as possible if it occurs again, I found that nobody else will do it if you don't, good luck with your career
ExRes is offline   Reply With Quote