RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Trip Planning & Reports

Old 10th January 2017, 21:34   #751
Peter Mugridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43074 View Post
Looks lovely but sadly well out of my price range!
Thought it might be, but yes it is very good.

I had a thought - a few pages ago, I think on this thread, someone pointed out that one side of one of the budget hotels ( Jury's Inn??? ) near Glasgow Central overlooks the platforms.
Peter Mugridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th January 2017, 22:07   #752
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

It is the juries!

Iv always fancied the Central hotel, again not really in my budget but in terms of a treat its always appealed!
Blindtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 10:12   #753
Kite159
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mugridge View Post
Thought it might be, but yes it is very good.

I had a thought - a few pages ago, I think on this thread, someone pointed out that one side of one of the budget hotels ( Jury's Inn??? ) near Glasgow Central overlooks the platforms.
Although unless it has thick windows, I would imagine if you get a room that side of the Jury's Inn it could be quite noisy with the various door buzzers coming up from the station (similar to the Travelodge at Rugby).

I always put Jury's Inn as one of those mid-market places, not as basic as Holiday Inn/Travelodge.
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:49   #754
Kite159
Established Member

Silly question, but is it just me who has the minimum room cost of the Easy Hotel in Croydon seemed to have increased to £30 (plus the fee).

Seems to be around the same price as several Travelodges within the zones, Borehamwood for example picking a random day in the future is £29 for the room (which will be better quality than the bare basic Easyhotel room)
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:24   #755
Butts
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite159 View Post
Silly question, but is it just me who has the minimum room cost of the Easy Hotel in Croydon seemed to have increased to £30 (plus the fee).

Seems to be around the same price as several Travelodges within the zones, Borehamwood for example picking a random day in the future is £29 for the room (which will be better quality than the bare basic Easyhotel room)
I think they they missed an S out of Easyhotel.....Easyhostel more like
Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:01   #756
dave87016

Edinburgh Haymarket Travelodge is very good, I was in room 2 ( ground floor) it was massive - same with the bathroom , the lady at reception was brilliant , polite and very helpful. I had a unlimited Breakfast at 7am and it was lovely, nice, tasty and hot.
dave87016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:02   #757
Iskra

...and the competition:

Premier Inn, Edinburgh Central, Lauriston Place.

A great premier inn. It's very modern and clean inside. It's in a perfect location right in the heart of Edinburgh, yet despite this I had a great nights sleep and it wasn't noisy at all. Finally, the staff on the front desk were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.
Iskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 20:05   #758
richw
Established Member

I have this week stayed two nights in premier inn Derby East. Standard premier inn, nice bed clean etc, it was adjacent to the busy dual carriageway with my window overlooking the road yet never heard any traffic. My window had a minimum of quadruple glazing.
As far as premier inns go it was a good one.
Old 16th February 2017, 20:34   #759
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite159 View Post

I hadnt checked lately but for me the Easyhotel stilll wins over TL on location, clenlyness and bed quality.
Blindtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:34   #760
EbbwJunction1

I stayed in the EasyHotel in Old Street, City of London a couple of years ago, and it was quite good.

It was very basic, and not having a window (which I knew about beforehand!) was a bit disconcerting, but I was only there for one night, so it wasn't a problem. One thing which it had, but which I haven't seen in many other hotel rooms of any size, was a wet room or walk in shower - I was surprised that it had one, as it seemed to be more than a basic thing to provide.

The location is quite good too, just up the road from the Old Street Rail and Underground Stations. Mind you, the prices seem to have gone up a bit since then, though - but I suppose that it's all about getting a deal at the right time. One thing to note is that there are a few extra charges - for example arriving early and leaving your case before checking in costs more.
Old 17th February 2017, 15:51   #761
richw
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbwJunction1 View Post

One thing which it had, but which I haven't seen in many other hotel rooms of any size, was a wet room or walk in shower - I was surprised that it had one, as it seemed to be more than a basic thing to provide. .
They are cheaper to install and lower maintenance than a shower tray or bath to install. Means less work on installation to just fit a drain and appropriate flooring. Also no sealant to worry about going mouldy etc.
Old 20th February 2017, 19:53   #762
Kite159
Established Member

Barkston Rooms (Londonears Hostel)
Earls Court, London

Location is less than 5 minute walk from Earl's Court station (Earl's Court Road exit), with plenty of options for food [KFC, McDs, Burger King, a pub, M&S local, Co-Op etc].

At first glance it appears to be several houses knocked together, where shared rooms are available I paid for a single room which was on the top floor, window was a roof-light with a well fitted blind, plus size is that there wasn't much road noise. Some building work was being carried out (in terms of materials)

Downsides is that the shared bathroom was a bit on the small size, and it appeared you had to pay for towels, the stairs were quite steep. On the flip side the bed was quite comfy and the room lacked a TV, free wifi is provided which is handy to quickly check things.

I wouldn't have any issues if it came up again for £26 at shortish notice, considering that you are on the edge of zone 1 so early morning required moves to the main terminals are easy enough without much in the way of planning.
Old 20th February 2017, 19:55   #763
robbeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
I have this week stayed two nights in premier inn Derby East. Standard premier inn, nice bed clean etc, it was adjacent to the busy dual carriageway with my window overlooking the road yet never heard any traffic. My window had a minimum of quadruple glazing.
As far as premier inns go it was a good one.
If you book a little in advance the riverlights ones is quite nice, easy access to the city centre and a 10 minute walk with a nice view to the station.
robbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 20:06   #764
robbeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbwJunction1 View Post
I stayed in the EasyHotel in Old Street, City of London a couple of years ago, and it was quite good.
I stayed in there for 4 nights one week in....November, or December, i can't remember. The room was very very warm the first night but i asked if it could be cooler in the morning and it was fine for the rest of the stay. Some of the Easy Hotels have temperature controls in the rooms, this one appears not to.
It ticked all the boxes, a few minutes walk from either Old Street or a few extra minutes to Barbican.

I'm staying in the Earls Court one from Tomorrow until Saturday (except Thursday night when i'm in Norwich). My other half has stayed in that one and Paddington and says they are all very similar.
robbeech is offline   Reply With Quote