RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Traction & Rolling Stock

Old 19th April 2017, 21:16   #31
Dhassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb21 View Post
It was nice for them to wait for the late running 68 too for anyone needing the connection.
Aye, I think they would do that anyway mind, As the next one would had been the 18:45.
Dhassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 19th April 2017, 21:27   #32
168lover

Quote:
It was nice for them to wait for the late running 68 too for anyone needing the connection.
They normally do with sometimes even sending the 68 wrong road into P2 to connect to the bubble.
Old 20th April 2017, 18:29   #33
ChilternTurbo

Quote:
Indeed and something I've appreciated on a regular basis as the 17:21 invariably picks up delays given the lengthy dwell times caused by that rake of Mk3 slam door stock...
ChilternTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:38   #34
OneTrackMind

Official confirmation...

https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/n...nt-bubble-cars

Quote:
The affectionately named ‘Bubble Cars’, that run on the Chiltern Railways line between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, are due to make their last journey on the Chiltern Railways route on Friday 19 May.

First brought into service in Britain in 1960, the two heritage class 121 trains were purchased by Chiltern Railways in 2003 and have serviced the 18-minute journey from Princes Risborough to Monks Risborough, Little Kimble and Aylesbury ever since. As single carriage trains, they are recognisable for their small size and open environment allowing customers to see ahead through the front windows of the train.

Famed for being the last remaining trains in service that use vacuum brakes, the time has come where the ongoing maintenance of these classic trains is increasing and the decision has been to take them out of service. Both trains will be on sale following their retirement and the number of services running daily across the route will remain unchanged.

Matthew Prosser, Engineering Director at Chiltern Railways says:
“We will be sad to see these trains go has they are a part of railway history and some customers even make special journeys to travel on them. However, the changes are necessary due to the age of the vehicles and we will ultimately be providing a more comfortable service for our customers.”

A small farewell will be held on the last day of the service for the Bubble Cars. Details will be announced in due course.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:46   #35
JoeGJ1984

I don't know why they can't do a 'farewell' on the following Saturday, 20th May. I know the bubble cars need a guard who otherwise wouldn't be needed, but for a one-off they could arrange it - perhaps hae the bubble car run all day (as the current peak hours only operation makes it difficult to get cheap tickets to get to the area for anyone further afield). I think they did such a thing in 2010 for their 50th anniversary or something?
JoeGJ1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 13:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGJ1984 View Post
I don't know why they can't do a 'farewell' on the following Saturday, 20th May. I know the bubble cars need a guard who otherwise wouldn't be needed, but for a one-off they could arrange it - perhaps hae the bubble car run all day (as the current peak hours only operation makes it difficult to get cheap tickets to get to the area for anyone further afield). I think they did such a thing in 2010 for their 50th anniversary or something?
The farewell tour was on Sunday 9th April. As we run into the forthcoming month, Wembley Stadium has special events almost every weekend.
150219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:56   #37
AnthonyRail

Must get up there for a trip
AnthonyRail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:58   #38
MatthewRead

Wish they would have a proper sendoff on the 20th May.
MatthewRead is offline   Reply With Quote