RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 19th May 2017, 14:24   #76
Polarbear

Does anyone happen to know whether the Cevernol (Clermont Ferrand - Nimes), will have a loco-hauled diagram this year?

I'd guess this will be the last year (if that hasn't already happened) for loco & stock on that route, given the increasing pace of running down such services in France generally.

Any information most appreciated.
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 19th May 2017, 23:44   #77
AlexNL

The Cévenol is being transferred to the Occitanie region, new rolling stock (Coradia) will be introduced in september 2018.

Last edited by AlexNL; 19th May 2017 at 23:48.
AlexNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 07:35   #78
Polarbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The Cévenol is being transferred to the Occitanie region, new rolling stock (Coradia) will be introduced in september 2018.
Thanks. On that basis, I'd assume that the current set up should stay in place until the new trains turn up.
Old 20th May 2017, 15:12   #79
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

I believe the current set up is units. It was when I was there in November. Plenty of other BB67400 et RRR out of Clermont on local stuff though.
Old 20th May 2017, 22:06   #80
Polarbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Explain View Post
I believe the current set up is units. It was when I was there in November. Plenty of other BB67400 et RRR out of Clermont on local stuff though.
It is units for the most part. I understand that last summer, one return diagram was operated with a loco & stock during the school holidays & was wondering if anyone had any idea whether a repeat was on the cards for this year?

Also, SNCF also operate a steam hauled service on the mid section of the line during certain Wednesdays during July & August.
Old 21st May 2017, 00:08   #81
MarcVD

Was it really SNCF ? Their only remaining steam loco has been unavailable for years now...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 02:03   #82
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
Also, SNCF also operate a steam hauled service on the mid section of the line during certain Wednesdays during July & August.
I think the Wednesdays service is the Train Touristique des Gorges de l'Allier. It was originally a purely SNCF promotion, but it now seems to be run by the 141R420 group, with cooperation from SNCF but the trains (at least for 2017) are diesel not steam hauled.

In the early days the service was X2800 railcar (in the latter days of their use on SNCF) and /or 66400 or 67400 + RRR .

Old 21st May 2017, 09:42   #83
Polarbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I think the Wednesdays service is the Train Touristique des Gorges de l'Allier. It was originally a purely SNCF promotion, but it now seems to be run by the 141R420 group, with cooperation from SNCF but the trains (at least for 2017) are diesel not steam hauled.

In the early days the service was X2800 railcar (in the latter days of their use on SNCF) and /or 66400 or 67400 + RRR .

Thanks for the information. I did stumble across a website (largely in French) about the service referred to above-I'll post a link when I'm back at my computer.

Link duly posted;

https://www.ligne-des-cevennes.com/t...s-de-l-allier/

Last edited by Polarbear; 21st May 2017 at 17:00.
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:38   #84
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
Thanks for the information. I did stumble across a website (largely in French) about the service referred to above-I'll post a link when I'm back at my computer.

Link duly posted;

https://www.ligne-des-cevennes.com/t...s-de-l-allier/
This is not to be confused with the Train a Vapeur des Cevennes which is a preserved railway in the UK sense and runs on different line in the Cevennes mountains.

Old 26th May 2017, 15:30   #85
duesselmartin

Anything loco hauled still at Metz or Thionville?
duesselmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:19   #86
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesselmartin View Post
Anything loco hauled still at Metz or Thionville?
I don't think so

Old Yesterday, 08:02   #87
MarcVD

I think there are a few TER 200 moves extended to the north of Strasbourg. That would be corail+sybic.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:27   #88
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

Sadly not now since last summer with the deletion of the Intercités de Nuit to/from Nice: ICN 4751/4882 and ICN 4251/4351 to/from Cerbère/Portbou. However, according to rail.cc the Train de Nuit from Paris is being reinstated to run weekends only to/from Cerbère only from June 09 due to local protests, better than nothing though I suppose..
See: https://rail.cc/fr/night-train-paris...re-returns/n25

And of course the other locomotive hauled trains in area were le EC Iris et Vauban as well as a daily out and back Bâle - Luxembourg TER200 which was a partial replacement for the EC 296 "Jean Monnet" that also used to run: Brussel-Luxembourg-Metz-Strasbourg-Bâle until 2011 I believe.
All other TER200's that ran north of Strasbourg were also cut back at the same time last April, AFAIK a few also extended to Metz/Nancy. Why both these and the through Bâle-Luxembourg train were cut back to terminate at Strasbourg, I have no idea??
I think this, along with the deletion of the two aforementioned EuroCity connections has been an extremely shortsighted decision by the SNCF as it has resulted in there now being only one direct connection (a réservation obligatoire TGV) in each direction per day between Strasbourg and Luxembourg and none at all anymore from Bâle. I know that the out and back TGV to/from Brussel via the LGV and Roissy Aeroport is the direct replacement for the EC's for through Brussel-Bâle pax with just one change to a TER200 at Strasbourg now, but what about Luxembourg? Why did the Bâle-Luxembourg TER200 also have to be cut back to Strasbourg? I know people in Luxembourg who used this and the two EC's through to Bâle regularly have not taken kindly to these changes.
However, I believe one daily out and back TER200 diagram from Bâle-Nancy has now recently been reinstated.

From what I heard last year, the SNCB/NMBS and CFL were willing to keep the two EuroCity connections going but it was SNCF and SBB-CFF-FFS that had lost all interest as they seen these trains as an inconvenience, so pulled the plug as soon as the new LGV was operational and the last trains ran on Saturday, April 02 last year...

Sybic 166 making some noise, complete with flares, SNCB resto and SBB panoramic wagens with the last EC 91 Vauban (07h33 Brussel Zuid-Bâle SNCF) @ Gare de Mulhouse Ville:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnpwjp1Y0Y

The last shunt and preping for the return last EC 96 Iris @ Bâle (SNCF), a nice touch with the head message on the Sybic too. (complete with the SBB koupler's talking Baseldytsch! ):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftn8KB8omwE

And finally a fitting send off with a hat off from le Chef de Service, the Sybic blasting it's horn while the church bells ring out as BB26166 heads back north to Luxembourg @ Mulhouse Ville with the last ever EC 96 Iris (16h21 Bâle SNCF-Brussel Zuid) :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9L9_RYkQY

All credits to Monsieur Henry Daniel!
Old Today, 10:21   #89
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Explain View Post
From what I heard last year, the SNCB/NMBS and CFL were willing to keep the two EuroCity connections going but it was SNCF and SBB-CFF-FFS that had lost all interest as they seen these trains as an inconvenience, so pulled the plug as soon as the new LGV was operational and the last trains ran on Saturday, April 02 last year...
I suspect SBB's issue was with the number of times the trains were late into Basel from France. They used to fit into the IR regular interval service through to Zürich, so every time they were late SBB had to kick out an "ersatzzug" to maintain the timetable.
43096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:32   #90
urpert
uk.railway exile

Very enjoyable clips, thanks for linking to those!
urpert is offline   Reply With Quote