RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion

Old 10th May 2017, 17:22   #6631
burneside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardh View Post
If we (either an individual or the public at large) feel we are being hard done by the government that sits, are we not democratically empowered to challenge the government....which is exactly what Brexit wants (democracy, bringing control etc etc) or is it only democratic if Brexit likes it?

Now an individual won't have Brussels to appeal to, what exactly do we do? Sit down and hope our issues go away? That's the laughable thing about Brexit, they want democracy but to get it, they have removed, er, democracy.
Individuals potentially have the right to appeal all the way to the UK Supreme Court, I don't see any reason, or need, for Brussels to get involved at all. Perhaps that's why some people voted for Brexit, to get control of our laws back.
burneside is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th May 2017, 18:13   #6632
Howardh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burneside View Post
Individuals potentially have the right to appeal all the way to the UK Supreme Court, I don't see any reason, or need, for Brussels to get involved at all. Perhaps that's why some people voted for Brexit, to get control of our laws back.
It IS reassuring that it's there that Ms Miller won her case against the UK Government, but it also means it's the new end of the line when before there were stops beyond. Can't see how anyone can applaud that...as from now our government are free to scrap the Supreme Court if they wish. They probably won't, but I wouldn't trust them not to. After all, they "have control" whatever that means.
Howardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:27   #6633
Barn
Established Member

Out of interest, what right do you think you had before to "appeal to Brussels"?
Old 11th May 2017, 11:55   #6634
Howardh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn View Post
Out of interest, what right do you think you had before to "appeal to Brussels"?
Before we became members of the EEC, none (that I know of). We gained, now we lose what we gained and we're back to square one.

Of course the European Courts didn't always come down on the side of the public but here are 12 examples http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/bre...shaped-uk-law/ )link to EU referendum: 12 European cases that have shaped UK employment law)

I wonder how may disability/sexual discrimination laws, workers rights legistaltion etc. wouldn't have come in had we not been in the EU. Of course we'll never know, and I doubt the UK government will now throw any away. But if future legislation is made in the EU, will the UK follow suit? Of course that's now not a given.

Last edited by Howardh; 11th May 2017 at 11:57.
Howardh is offline   Reply With Quote