RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 6th February 2017, 17:57   #16
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member

Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthewater View Post
Moving south into former First areas, where First has pulled out.

I'm surprised the none of the English council have joined together to create single company to deal with many of the back office functions to help stream line the operations or buy buses in bulk etc.
Rosso haven't appreciably expanded South; they've been Bury and Rochdale for many years.
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 7th February 2017, 20:38   #17
F262YTJ

Blackpool Transport seems to have turned a corner with the massive investment in 30 E400s this year plus the orders over the last 2 years.

I'd say Halton and Warrington are 2 to watch at present.
F262YTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 20:55   #18
TAS

I also wonder about the long-term future of Ipswich Buses. The long-standing Managing Director retired in May after 25 years in the role, only for his replacement to resign in December.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of serious underlying problems, but superficially it doesn't look good.

TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 21:18   #19
overthewater
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F262YTJ View Post
Blackpool Transport seems to have turned a corner with the massive investment in 30 E400s this year plus the orders over the last 2 years.

I'd say Halton and Warrington are 2 to watch at present.
Who would want want either one of them? Arriva would not be allowed either. Again would a merger but off the cards just to help reduced back office functions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post
I also wonder about the long-term future of Ipswich Buses. The long-standing Managing Director retired in May after 25 years in the role, only for his replacement to resign in December.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of serious underlying problems, but superficially it doesn't look good.
I doubt there is any underlying problems, maybe he didn't like it or he had different view from the council.
overthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 21:47   #20
Robertj21a
Established Member

As far as I can see, most of the 10 remaining 'municipals' look rather vulnerable . Probably only Lothian, Nottingham and Reading appear fairly 'safe' for the longer term. I'd put Warrington, Rosso and Ipswich fairly high up the list.
Robertj21a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 22:14   #21
winston270twm

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthewater View Post
Who would want want either one of them? Arriva would not be allowed either. Again would a merger but off the cards just to help reduced back office functions?
I'd have thought that Warrington especially may interest Rotala if it came on the market, i.e to bolster their NW presence south of Manchester & potentially even Halton.

Another option for Halton may be D&G which could tkae them further north.
winston270twm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:17   #22
AaronR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post

No it doesnt and they have not advertised for a replacement yet apparently. The last MD done untold damage apparently, especially to staff morale, drivers have left to go to First in Ipswich, that would have never happened in the past! He scrapped things like the Xmas shopping excursions, the Real Ale tours for Suffolk Camra, made a lot of unpopular changed to the routes and schedules and was a contributing factor in why IB have lost the Park and Ride contract apparently. The fleet is looking much more down at heel recently as well, no further repaints etc
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 18:24   #23
SCH117X

Transdev have a large stake in Nottingham which, unless they sold that stake, means (off topic) Transdev would be an unlikely buyer of Trent Barton should the latter come up for sale.
SCH117X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 20:40   #24
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertj21a View Post
As far as I can see, most of the 10 remaining 'municipals' look rather vulnerable . Probably only Lothian, Nottingham and Reading appear fairly 'safe' for the longer term. I'd put Warrington, Rosso and Ipswich fairly high up the list.
I concur with that. Cardiff might also be included for political/devolution reasons. rather than pure bus reasons, should such exist.
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 21:29   #25
Mutant Lemming
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaholic View Post
I concur with that. Cardiff might also be included for political/devolution reasons. rather than pure bus reasons, should such exist.
Political reasons helped save Ipswich and Rossendale in the past as the issue of keeping their buses 'local' was an issue in local council elections in both Rossendale and Ipswich.
Mutant Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 23:29   #26
Ginga

I did say to Jon Collins (Nottingham City Council leader) sell off Nct. As it would raise around 34m, at a time when council budgets are being cut. He said no as it would lead to higher fares and Network cuts. Going back a few years ,Nct had a large Pension hole that need plugging. The Enviro 200's are/were (not sure if they are payed off yet) rentals from a Spanish bank. They are also moving onto a "budget" brand tyre . Alex Hornby and David (whats his name) the commerical Manager at Nct. Signed away the Bsog payments in Nottingham ,in exchange for 4m and "goverment better bus funding" that they said would lead to a 5% increase in Passengers.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 19:05   #27
DaveHarries
Established Member

Stagecoach Swindon have decided to start a new Service 3 between Abbey Meads and Great Western Hospital which, it seems, will incorporate elements of Thamesdown's services 1, 1A, 13, 14 & 17 among others. At the same time the Sunday journeys run by Stagecoach on routes, 13, 14 & 17 are being dropped.
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servic...7-11:40:05:800

Dave
Old 17th February 2017, 19:30   #28
Hophead

Thamesdown exact fare policy dropped from 26th March (Swindon Advertiser)
Hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 00:02   #29
overthewater
Established Member

You have to wonder if some of the changes are just to keep the CMM happy. oh look a big player has come to town let shake it up...
overthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 20:04   #30
Baxenden Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
I did say to Jon Collins (Nottingham City Council leader) sell off Nct. As it would raise around 34m, at a time when council budgets are being cut. He said no as it would lead to higher fares and Network cuts. Going back a few years ,Nct had a large Pension hole that need plugging. The Enviro 200's are/were (not sure if they are payed off yet) rentals from a Spanish bank. They are also moving onto a "budget" brand tyre . Alex Hornby and David (whats his name) the commerical Manager at Nct. Signed away the Bsog payments in Nottingham ,in exchange for 4m and "goverment better bus funding" that they said would lead to a 5% increase in Passengers.
David Astill - formerly of First in the Potteries.

and mentioned on the same forum thread as Jeremy Cooper - also formerly of First in the Potteries (or perhaps PMT Ltd) - recently departed Ipswich.

It's a small world.
Baxenden Bank is offline   Reply With Quote