RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 4th February 2017, 06:44   #136
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

The X95 has taken a huge knock with borders rail but I think First are maybe looking at the bigger picture here. The service does well through midlothian but after a certain point I can only assume its running empty as foalk for Stow and Gala will now use the train not the bus? What we need is a cut off point from where the route is no longer comercially viable and then if First dont want it another opperater should take it over.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 5th February 2017, 21:38   #137
overthewater
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtraveler View Post
The X95 has taken a huge knock with borders rail but I think First are maybe looking at the bigger picture here. The service does well through midlothian but after a certain point I can only assume its running empty as foalk for Stow and Gala will now use the train not the bus? What we need is a cut off point from where the route is no longer comercially viable and then if First dont want it another opperater should take it over.
I dont think it even does will in Midlothian. It by-passes Gorebridge by going down A7, I've never seen anyone use the bus stop at the top of the road. Mind you its the only bus that goes down Newbattle road, again thats seen better days.

Strange thing is the bus used to be able to do Gala - Edinburgh in around 1 hours just shy of what the train now takes. Its a joke how bad the traffic has got in Edinburgh that its added up to 20mins to the running time...

You have to wonder how much of a hit Lothian has taken, if you live in Newtongrange or Gorebridge, you could be saving 40mins off peak..

Last edited by overthewater; 5th February 2017 at 21:43.
overthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 20:44   #138
overthewater
Established Member

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-buses-ftd.pdf

Some interesting points from the CMA: [] means date cut to the public

Quote:
As such, FirstGroup conducted a detailed review of how it could improve its operations if the Undertakings were lifted. This review showed that cutting loss-making routes, closing loss-making depots and restructuring the fares would allow the FSEL business to grow again. In that context, the East Coast Bus Business was the worst performing part of the FSEL business in that [] per cent of the losses at FSEL were attributable to the bus routes operating from the East Coast Bus Business, but the business itself only accounted for only 8 per cent of its bus fleet. The Depots and associated operations were therefore identified as needing to close.
Quote:
In early 2015, prior to FirstGroup’s formal request for the Undertakings to be reviewed, FirstGroup conducted a review of FSEL to decide what to do with the business if the mileage floor and price cap were removed. A FirstGroup internal document setting out the analysis of this review from May 2015, concluded that any unprofitable route would be stopped and, on that basis, Musselburgh and North Berwick should be closed.16

Quote:
A FirstGroup board document from May 2015 confirmed the internal analysis referred to at (a) above and noted that ‘FSEL has been a prolonged poor financial performer despite repeated attempts to resolve’ and that Therefore it was indented for the Musselburgh and North Berwick Depots to close if FirstGroup is released from the Undertakings

Quote:
Ahead of the public announcement indicating that the East Coast Bus Business would close and the routes it operated would cease, FirstGroup was progressing plans for the Depots associated with the East Coast Bus Business to be sold to a property developer. Specifically; (i) FirstGroup contacted [] (a [] which had shown an interest in purchasing the Depts in the past) to inform them that it was considering selling the Depots in the event that it was released from the Undertakings in late February 2016. The Seller submitted that it
Quote:
The evidence above clearly shows that, as part of its restructuring plans, FirstGroup had planned to close its East Coast Bus Business for some time preceding consideration of a sale of it to the Acquirer. Even before it had been
released from the Undertakings, FirstGroup had taken steps to effect the exit of the East Coast Bus Business through the sale of the Depots to a property developer. It is clear that these steps were decisive and had been taken independently of any consideration to sell to the Acquirer. The CMA is therefore confident, based on all the above mentioned factors, that there is
compelling evidence that the first limb of the exiting firm test is met
Old 13th February 2017, 20:51   #139
Volvodart

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthewater View Post
https://assets.publishing.service.go...-buses-ftd.pdf

Some interesting points from the CMA: [] means date cut to the public
It means commercially sensitive information omitted.
Volvodart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 02:45   #140
Strathclyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteway215 View Post
Lots of Tridents reported withdrawn by FSE/Midland Bluebird. Do we know if they have gone or will be scrap? Or will they be cascaded to other First companies?
I'm aware that I'm replying to a post from September 2016, but former Scotland East/Midland Bluebird Tridents 33093 (LN51 NRJ) & 33138 (LT02 ZFK) have both been transferred to First Glasgow, the former having gone into service at Blantyre, the latter still being prepped for service at Caledonia.
Old 18th February 2017, 21:34   #141
Whiteway215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strathclyder View Post
I'm aware that I'm replying to a post from September 2016, but former Scotland East/Midland Bluebird Tridents 33093 (LN51 NRJ) & 33138 (LT02 ZFK) have both been transferred to First Glasgow, the former having gone into service at Blantyre, the latter still being prepped for service at Caledonia.
Many thanks for that.
Whiteway215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 22:58   #142
Strathclyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteway215 View Post
Many thanks for that.
No problem. Shall keep my ear to the ground for any more FSE/FMB -> FiG transfers.

Last edited by Strathclyder; 20th February 2017 at 23:00.
Strathclyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 23:05   #143
overthewater
Established Member

There is update fleet list on this page: http://scotbus.com/scotbus/fleetlist...an%2017%20PDF/
Old 25th February 2017, 00:16   #144
overthewater
Established Member

Big talk of the week has been the fact 3? Volvo B7RLE have been give Royal route branding for the no38. Alot of talk has been suggesting said buses are going back on to the 38. What a lot of people seem to have failed to notice is the 38 has always had those Volvo B7RLE. I dare say First are just making everything have the same branding.

It should also be noted, Streetlites have extremely high fuel savings even with the problems.
Old 6th March 2017, 15:53   #145
overthewater
Established Member

Further changes are planned for May, some cuts some improvements: It seems the inform is from Falkirk Council.

Service Route Proposed Changes
2, 2A, 2B Falkirk – Bonnybridge – Denny - Dunipace
• Service 2A to be extended from Dunipace to Stirling Bus Station and Stirling University (Monday to Saturday).
• Revised timetable.
• 2A/2B frequency unchanged but times altered to provide more even service between Denny and Stirling. Sunday service reduced from every 20 mins to every 30 mins.

3, 4, 4A, 4B Grangemouth –Falkirk –Tamfourhill / Camelon - Banknock - Croy
• Revised timetable. Monday to Saturday
• Service reduced from every 15 mins to every 20 mins (Service 4B to Croy unchanged at every 60 mins)

29, 29A, 29C, F29 Falkirk – Shieldhill - California – Avonbridge - Bathgate
• Most journeys extended from Bathgate to serve Broxburn.
• Service withdrawn from residential streets in western Shieldhill.
• Will now operate via Glen Brae in Shieldhill and will not serve Greenmount Drive, Greencraig Avenue, Parkend Crescent and Paterson Drive (this change is due to narrow roads/tight corners and parked cars)

38, 38A, X38, X9 Stirling - Edinburgh
• Additional peak hour departures (including new Service X9) between Falkirk and Edinburgh.
• Minor timetable revisions to accommodate above.

X39 Stirling – Denny – Glasgow
• Some journeys extended from Stirling Bus Station to Stirling University/Wallace Monument.
• Minor timetable revisions to accommodate above
• Journeys from Glasgow to run 5 minutes later between Whins of Milton and Stirling.

For a starter for ten: what old bus route does these changes bring back?
Old 6th March 2017, 16:39   #146
robertclark125
Established Member

Overthewater, you've got me there. I'll have a total stab in the dark, at the X19 that Midland Bluebird used to run from Alloa - Falkirk - Edinburgh.
robertclark125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 17:28   #147
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

I would say at a guess the X9 will go Falkirk Grangemouth Bo'ness M9 Ratho A8 City Centre. If they use coaches it will likely flop unless they targat it a commuters.

They may also start a price war with citylinks 909, unless that gets cut totally?
Old 6th March 2017, 20:38   #148
overthewater
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclark125 View Post
Overthewater, you've got me there. I'll have a total stab in the dark, at the X19 that Midland Bluebird used to run from Alloa - Falkirk - Edinburgh.
Close about the old X19, but the answer was old No81 going the same as the 2A now, including Stirling uni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtraveler View Post
I would say at a guess the X9 will go Falkirk Grangemouth Bo'ness M9 Ratho A8 City Centre. If they use coaches it will likely flop unless they targat it a commuters.

They may also start a price war with citylinks 909, unless that gets cut totally?
I would be very surprised if it operated via Bo'ness and Granagemouth, since X19 still runs at peak times.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:13   #149
smtglasgow
Glasgow, London & WCML

Interesting changes from First. Some cuts, but also some rare enhancements. Is it just possible that First East Scotland has turned a corner and is beginning to trade better? The network has been severely pruned over the last few years (have a look at the maps that they added to the website late last year to see just how thin things have got compared to say a decade ago), but presumably what’s left is showing some promise. Still think they need to work on some of their fares – the Stirling area day/weekly tickets are still sky high (£23 for a week in Stirling; £30 for Stirling – Alloa)
smtglasgow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 12:33   #150
overthewater
Established Member

If your traveling between Stirling and Alloa all week your cheaper buying the 60/62/63 day tickets.