RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 24th May 2016, 17:21   #16
Zoidberg
White Rock, BC, below
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Does North Berwick actually *need* a bus when it has a train?
Does London need any buses when it has trains?
Old 24th May 2016, 17:37   #17
embers25
Established Member

Quote:
Does North Berwick actually *need* a bus when it has a train?
Does Milton Keynes need buses as it too has trains??? Seriously?????
embers25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 17:51   #18
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Does London need any buses when it has trains?
Quote:
Originally Posted by embers25 View Post
Does Milton Keynes need buses as it too has trains??? Seriously?????
Erm, both of those are large places with significant internal travel demand. North Berwick is a very small town.

I certainly don't see any great need to provide bus services that only directly compete with rail services. Though Port Seton, Aberlady, Gullane and Dirleton might need something.

Last edited by Neil Williams; 24th May 2016 at 17:52.
Neil Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 17:52   #19
Zoidberg
White Rock, BC, below
Established Member

Quote:
Erm, both of those are large places with significant internal travel demand. North Berwick is a small town.

I certainly don't see any great need to provide bus services that only directly compete with rail services. Though Aberlady, Gullane and Dirleton might need something.
You show little understanding of North Berwick and its environs.
Old 24th May 2016, 17:53   #20
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
You show little understanding of North Berwick and its environs.
What does the Edinburgh-North Berwick bus service do that the train doesn't other than serve those few places?
Old 24th May 2016, 17:56   #21
THarris123
Established Member

Quote:
What does the Edinburgh-North Berwick bus service do that the train doesn't other than serve those few places?
See now I always thought that was the point of a bus service - it joins up small villages and places where the train doesn't serve with larger towns and cities.

Its not a very good argument really you have there.
THarris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 18:07   #22
DunsBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
There is some network overlap to Haddington which might be 'rationalised'. Currently 5 an hour to town (not so long ago 2) + 1 to Musselburgh. So there might be some losers, as when Midlothian closed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

They run the offpeak and weekend 18 for the city council from Musselburgh.
First's contract for the 18 is up in July, at the end of the five-year period. It's returning to Lothian after then.
DunsBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 18:20   #23
THarris123
Established Member

Just looking at the fleetlist for Musselburgh and there doesn't seem to be too much cr*p there. Newest stuff is 57 plate and there is 1 Y reg decker, as well as a few 51/02 reg deckers. Doesn't look too bad compared to some First depots. I expect most of the vehicles will go to Larbert?
THarris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 19:36   #24
overthewater
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THarris123 View Post
Just looking at the fleetlist for Musselburgh and there doesn't seem to be too much cr*p there. Newest stuff is 57 plate and there is 1 Y reg decker, as well as a few 51/02 reg deckers. Doesn't look too bad compared to some First depots. I expect most of the vehicles will go to Larbert?
There had just been sent to Muss over the past 12 months, it will depend on the school contracts won or lost if the fleet moves to the central belt.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
#####

https://www.facebook.com/iaingrayeas...36869103044864

Iain Gray the MSP has made a response. Very fair comments and it seems he blaming First group nationally.

Last edited by overthewater; 24th May 2016 at 19:36. Reason: Double post prevention system
overthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 20:38   #25
robertclark125
Established Member

I can tell you that last year, a friend of mine, who is, like me, a volunteer with the Lothian Bus Consortium, at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, said, once they had enough drivers, the firm he drives for, Lothian Buses, were going to aim for North Berwick. So I imagine Lothian will now make that move. And a depot in North Berwick is an option, just buy the existing one from First.

Someone mentioned on here about Northampton, I'll repeat these views I said before. If you look at the areas of First that have struggled in recent years, been sold, or closed, in the main, the areas affected have been ex GRT bits. Northampton was ex GRT. Parts of eastern counties have struggled, ex GRT. Now we see total exit from East Lothian. Ex GRT. The borders has been decimated. Ex GRT.

I accept other bits that weren't ex GRT have struggled. But, when you look at what happened, the damage was done by the GRT influence.
robertclark125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 21:57   #26
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclark125 View Post
I can tell you that last year, a friend of mine, who is, like me, a volunteer with the Lothian Bus Consortium, at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, said, once they had enough drivers, the firm he drives for, Lothian Buses, were going to aim for North Berwick. So I imagine Lothian will now make that move. And a depot in North Berwick is an option, just buy the existing one from First.

Someone mentioned on here about Northampton, I'll repeat these views I said before. If you look at the areas of First that have struggled in recent years, been sold, or closed, in the main, the areas affected have been ex GRT bits. Northampton was ex GRT. Parts of eastern counties have struggled, ex GRT. Now we see total exit from East Lothian. Ex GRT. The borders has been decimated. Ex GRT.

I accept other bits that weren't ex GRT have struggled. But, when you look at what happened, the damage was done by the GRT influence.
Don't recollect North Devon ever being influenced by GRT though. There, as in Northampton, once Stagecoach come in to compete, as opposed to agreeing a carve-up viz Manchester, it doesn't seem to take too long for First to capitulate.
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 22:13   #27
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclark125 View Post
The borders has been decimated. Ex GRT.
I don't think you can blame GRT for the reopening of the railway which has inevitably hit the x95. Several of the other proposed cuts are subsidised services (not sure about the Hawick locals) and the Borders is not unique in losing local bus services.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 02:57   #28
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

Due to limmitations on the ECML the 1tph to North Berwick needs bus to augment it as well as serve smaller places. I doubt stagecoach will be interested due to both Lothian and Perryman not to mention plenty people around to take up any tendered work.

The borders is sad, but not unpredicted I fear
Blindtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 07:51   #29
robertclark125
Established Member

I'm not blaming GRT for the reopening of the railway. What I am blaming GRT for, mainly after it "took over" Badgerline, is how it took its eye off the ball in the borders, and tried to compete with Lothian buses, but did so by cutting services in the Borders. Sure, some of those depots were small, Hawick had 14 vehicles, Kelso 12. But they were serving communities, and provided a decent service.

Last year, when I was in Hawick and Kelso one day, I saw a couple of First vehicles in service. The external appearance left a lot to be desired. What happens to the rest of the services in the Borders, we can only wonder.
robertclark125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:26   #30
d1672

Really? You not seen the NEW Falkirk ticket?

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-eas...e/save-falkirk[/QUOTE]

Hi,

The Falkirk Zonal ticket included Alloa, however First no longer operate routes from Falkirk to Alloa, therefore by default, when they remove Kincardine and Alloa from the zone you are left with just the Falkirk ticket, therefore not really a new zone.

Thomas