RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30th November 2016, 01:03   #1
wiltshirebloke
Member
 
Join Date: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Default Wiltshire Bus Services

Thought that I would create a separate thread for general services within Wiltshire, I guess that 2017 will see a raft of changes with the council subsidy reduction coming up ....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thamesdown Transport has announced a number of changes to town services across Swindon to take effect from 8th January 2017.

Amongst the changes, passengers will see Services 1/1A and 16 combined to provide a service to the Great Western Hospital every ten minutes. Running as Service 1/1A the service will take an amended route and new timetable from Fleming Way to the hospital.

North Swindon residents will also see their buses change, with Service 12 extended with a new route to serve Blunsdon and Highworth. Passengers in Haydon End who previously used the Service 12 will be able to use an amended Service 15/15A.

Buses on Service 17 will also be increased to provide a service every 7/8 minutes from Penhill to Park North and vice versa. Swindon’s new housing developments of Badbury Park and Ridgeway Farm will also benefit from the 12 and 19/19A respectively being rerouted to serve these homes.

The changes taking place in January affect the majority of our services across Swindon so we would urge passengers to check the new timetables when they are available to see if their service times or numbers are changing.

Last edited by wiltshirebloke; 30th November 2016 at 01:03. Reason: Double post prevention system
wiltshirebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 30th November 2016, 01:07   #2
matt_splat
Member
 
Join Date: 19 May 2012
Posts: 722
Default

will be very interested to see what happens with the 94 in trowbridge with libra pulling off the route it will certainly be interesting who picks the route up
matt_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 10:10   #3
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member
 
TheGrandWazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)
Posts: 7,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_splat View Post
will be very interested to see what happens with the 94 in trowbridge with libra pulling off the route it will certainly be interesting who picks the route up
Is it Libra pulling off the route or a reduction in the tender spec meaning it is being retendered?

I'm sure the usual candidates (Faresaver, Libra, Frome Minibuses) will be the favourites
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 13:31   #4
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: 6 Jan 2015
Location: yate
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo View Post
Is it Libra pulling off the route or a reduction in the tender spec meaning it is being retendered?

I'm sure the usual candidates (Faresaver, Libra, Frome Minibuses) will be the favourites
libra quit the contract. im told that wilts havea tender out at the moment. one of ct coaches drivers told me they were going for it but thats probably just gossip.

-swindon-
stagecoach recently canceled some or all of their sunday dutys on thamesdown routes. i dont know swindon well enoguh to know if it was all of them but probably part of this changes.

Last edited by Marc; 30th November 2016 at 13:33. Reason: added a bit
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 13:33   #5
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member
 
TheGrandWazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)
Posts: 7,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
libra quit the contract. im told that wilts havea tender out at the moment. one of ct coaches drivers told me they were going for it but thats probably just gossip.
It may be gossip but CT Coaches are one of the others that you'd expect might be in for it.
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:29   #6
matt_splat
Member
 
Join Date: 19 May 2012
Posts: 722
Default

I have been told that ct have not gone for the 94 but who knows it's a Wiltshire tender not sure if they are on the Wiltshire list
matt_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 21:18   #7
NorthernSpirit
Member
 
NorthernSpirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 879
Default

What's happening with Sunday duty on the 265, are the four journeys to Warminster being kept or have their been cut?

As for the 94 in Trow its likley that Faresaver may end up with it as they took on the Town Service.
NorthernSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 11:55   #8
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: 6 Jan 2015
Location: yate
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSpirit View Post
What's happening with Sunday duty on the 265, are the four journeys to Warminster being kept or have their been cut?

As for the 94 in Trow its likley that Faresaver may end up with it as they took on the Town Service.
trow town 60 / 260 carrys huge numbers. even on wiltshires crappy concession scheme it is worth doing it like faresaver do with a bus that also has peak time work.

94 is a different propesition - very long day - in baths awful traffic - and no possibility of the bus earning anything else.

i think wilts are retendering 265 and the other sunday services next year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 12:28   #9
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member
 
TheGrandWazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)
Posts: 7,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
trow town 60 / 260 carrys huge numbers. even on wiltshires crappy concession scheme it is worth doing it like faresaver do with a bus that also has peak time work.

94 is a different propesition - very long day - in baths awful traffic - and no possibility of the bus earning anything else.

i think wilts are retendering 265 and the other sunday services next year.
Wilts renumeration is still better than Dorset or Somerset

The 265 is largely commercial. I'm probably wrong but it's the evening journeys plus Sunday service between Trowbridge and Warminster? That'll rule out Faresaver!!

Given the challenges on funding, if they do have to trim Sunday services, the Warminster extension might be vulnerable given the parallel rail service
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 22:31   #10
TheWalrus
Last Journey: EXD-SWI
Established Member
 
TheWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 6 Oct 2008
Location: Swindon
Posts: 1,272
Default

Only the Stagecoach 11A and 19 on Sundays are being withdrawn, no plans to change 13/14 and 17 that I'm aware of.
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 01:31   #11
DaveHarries
Established Member
 
DaveHarries's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshirebloke View Post
Thought that I would create a separate thread for general services within Wiltshire, I guess that 2017 will see a raft of changes with the council subsidy reduction coming up ....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thamesdown Transport has announced a number of changes to town services across Swindon to take effect from 8th January 2017.

[.....]

North Swindon residents will also see their buses change, with Service 12 extended with a new route to serve Blunsdon and Highworth. Passengers in Haydon End who previously used the Service 12 will be able to use an amended Service 15/15A.
I have often wondered why nothing has been done ages ago to provide Broad Blunsdon with a decent service. The current timetable for Broad Blunsdon (as Google Earth calls it) only has 5 journeys each way for the village (1 on the 24A, 4 on the 24) which, to my way of thinking, hardly seems adequate and I would have thought that the frequency to BB should be at least hourly so I am glad to see something being done here.

As a side thought, following the loss of the 64 (Carterton - Swindon), anyone know if Stagecoach (or any other operator for that matter) has given thought to a service between Lechlade and Swindon? Either an extension of the 77 (although this, I note, now runs Highworth to Cirencester instead of Lechlade to Cirencester as of the last timetable revision of 20-Nov-2016 so there is at least the opportunity to change buses between the 7 and 77) with extra journeys Lechlade to Swindon. Or, dare I suggest it, revision to Service 7 to run one per hour from Highworth to Lechlade?

Dave
__________________
Current Avatar: BN8 and BN9, Banbury North, 23-Jul-2016.
Current Signalbox Photo Collection: 136 boxes, 2214 photos / videos.

Last edited by DaveHarries; 2nd December 2016 at 01:34.
DaveHarries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 21:51   #12
lightning76
22-gong tycoon
Member
 
Join Date: 27 Aug 2009
Location: Swindon
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHarries View Post
I have often wondered why nothing has been done ages ago to provide Broad Blunsdon with a decent service. The current timetable for Broad Blunsdon (as Google Earth calls it) only has 5 journeys each way for the village (1 on the 24A, 4 on the 24) which, to my way of thinking, hardly seems adequate and I would have thought that the frequency to BB should be at least hourly so I am glad to see something being done here.

As a side thought, following the loss of the 64 (Carterton - Swindon), anyone know if Stagecoach (or any other operator for that matter) has given thought to a service between Lechlade and Swindon? Either an extension of the 77 (although this, I note, now runs Highworth to Cirencester instead of Lechlade to Cirencester as of the last timetable revision of 20-Nov-2016 so there is at least the opportunity to change buses between the 7 and 77) with extra journeys Lechlade to Swindon. Or, dare I suggest it, revision to Service 7 to run one per hour from Highworth to Lechlade?

Dave
Blunsdon had a half-hourly service by the 12 until TT's last major changes. Obviously the natives failed to support it sufficiently.

I am surprised that no operator has stepped in to provide a replacement, or partial replacement, for the 64; it always seemed well-loaded when I saw it running. I should have thought a one-bus operation should pay its way. Extending the 7 is a non-starter though - that route is hellish enough to operate reliably as it is and certainly doesn't need complicating!
lightning76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:08   #13
TheWalrus
Last Journey: EXD-SWI
Established Member
 
TheWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 6 Oct 2008
Location: Swindon
Posts: 1,272
Default

Extending the 7 wouldn't work and probably wouldn't be worth it.

If it was worth running the 64 Pulhams would have continued running it on a commercial basis.

At least now lechlade has more than 2 connections per day to Swindon and through ticketing is bow available.
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 19:27   #14
DaveHarries
Established Member
 
DaveHarries's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning76 View Post
Blunsdon had a half-hourly service by the 12 until TT's last major changes. Obviously the natives failed to support it sufficiently.
There is Blunsdon, aka. Blunsdon St. Andrew (hence references to "St. Andrew's Ridge" on buses: the Wallis Drive stop is the current terminus AFAIK) and there is Broad Blunsdon which is the other side of the A419.

It is the latter I am referring to: the road to Highworth is the B4019 which runs along the bottom of what is referred to as Broad Blunsdon. I guess the extension will go through the village rather than straight down the B4019. I attach a screenshot from Google Earth. The blue stop markers in Broad Blunsdon indicate where the 24/24A currently serves: the 12 will replace those routes.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broadblunsdon.jpg (194.6 KB, 13 views)
__________________
Current Avatar: BN8 and BN9, Banbury North, 23-Jul-2016.
Current Signalbox Photo Collection: 136 boxes, 2214 photos / videos.
DaveHarries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 12:56   #15
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member
 
TheGrandWazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)
Posts: 7,413
Default

Two new e400MMC seen on M42 on delivery to GSC. Liveried up for X3 Cathedral to Coast
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
faresaver, thamesdown, wiltshire

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:28.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017