RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 24th September 2010, 09:13   #16
shinkansen1966
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR247 View Post
Because they all want the passengers, some will have cheaper prices. Like some bus companies can put the prices up, and people will still use them, but when competition comes along with a fare that is 60p cheaper, more people will use them. Thus saving pax money.
Or we could do what happens here in London. Take whole sodding lot out of private hands and run by the council. One operator, susbidised fares, universal tickets and smart cards.

Councils spend enough has it is on the running bus services that the private sector choose not to. Don't see why the private sector should be allowed cherry pick profitable routes. Bus services are a public service requiring standards and planning.

If the private sector was so good at running bus services, they would have halted the decline in bus use. Instead, over the last 25 years, passenger numbers have decline. In some cases by two-thirds (in the instance of South Yorkshire). Rural services have been abandoned and councils have had to dig deep to protect routes which would have been axed. Look through your local timetable and see who many services are 'supported by x council'. Sunday and evening services would be non-existant without council support.

Public transport is not some supermarket style commodity. Even in capitalist US, most town and cities have municpal bus services provide their council. Not the calamitous arrangments here.

London is one of the few cities which has actually bucked the decline in bus use. Why? A standard universal service with easy to understand flat bus fares. One organisation arranging service, city wide smartcard, GPS on every bus telling you which stop is next. It's an easy to use, high quality public service. Not like the colourful dross you get in some UK towns with elderly buses in cheerful liveries with strange fares, random timetables and names like "Glen's Travel offering you upto 10 min service to Bigstown Shopping Centre".
shinkansen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 24th September 2010, 09:38   #17
Greenback

An excellent post! Great that you;ve pointed out the US way - I have travelled in Seattle, San Francisco, Vegas, Chicago and Alberquerque and found the public transportation (buses, trams) provided by the local council to be comprehensive, reasonably priced and clean. They were also well used, and not only by the poorer sections of society. And all this in the land of the automobile!

In contrast, in the UK, we seem to have abandoned the idea of public transport for all, and seem to see buses and trains as inferior to the car. In reality, we nedd comprehensive and affordable public transport as well as cars, so that people have a genuine choice. Too often, outside of London at least, people feel they have to get a car because of the price or availability of the lcoal buses and trains. Helped, of course, by the relocation of many shops and offices to out of town retial parks often poorly served by bus.
Greenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 20:21   #18
Furfaggotry! :3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkansen1966 View Post
Or we could do what happens here in London. Take whole sodding lot out of private hands and run by the council. One operator, susbidised fares, universal tickets and smart cards.
I prefer the system in Edinburgh, with the main operator being council owned, but with private companies operating as well.

Lothian provide the main service in the city, First provide extra services, a mix of competing and slightly different routes, there are also smaller companies like Nordi and E&M Horsburgh providing services on a few other routes, though they're not that frequent.
Old 25th September 2010, 15:46   #19
MCR247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90019 View Post
I prefer the system in Edinburgh, with the main operator being council owned, but with private companies operating as well.

Lothian provide the main service in the city, First provide extra services, a mix of competing and slightly different routes, there are also smaller companies like Nordi and E&M Horsburgh providing services on a few other routes, though they're not that frequent.
Thats what it is like in Nottingham with the council owning 83% of NCT, and Trandsev owning 17%. Trent Barton and NCT get on well these days, with Trent Barton providing more longer distance bus routes, and NCT doing more shorter ones with exceptions obviously
MCR247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 12:59   #20
Heinz57

The new route won't last long against the indego. Every 6 mins on a modern bus with leather seats vs every 30 mins on what will probably be a bog standard bus.

Plus on top of that, TB have competative fares, frio, zig zag, mango and about a million other special tickets.

Many small indapendant companies have gone up against Trent Barton. Most of them have failed. It's only realy Felix that hasn't. Simply because there route (The Black Cat, formaly the 12) operated between Ilkeston and Derby long before trent moved in on that route. And now they work together along there - Accepting each others return tickets and frios and so on.
Old 26th September 2010, 13:57   #21
starrymarkb
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChathillMan View Post
Whenever I have been to Derby/Nottingham i have been impressed with Trent Barton, Premier won't last long.

If they want to really compete with them why don't they Launch a non stop service from Nottingham to Derby without the other city center stops in Nottingham, they would then have a USP
Trent Already do so, Red Arrow every 10 mins. Stops only at the QMC (and then only really to keep it legally as a bus service rather then coach)
starrymarkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 14:08   #22
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

Further to the above, it now appears that the Red4 may actually follow the Rainbow 4 route to Stapleford, and then divert via Briar Gate, to Long Eaton. Even so, TrentBarton are still providing a Nottingham-Stapleford service every 10 minutes, combined with the less frequent 15/21 services, there is still an equally frequent service through Stapleford and Sandiacre.
trentside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 11:44   #23
WillPS
Established Member

Bring back Nottingham Omnibus!
WillPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 11:46   #24
gordonthemoron
Established Member

the trouble with having all these extra buses into Nottingham is that Parliament Street is already chocca with buses and this is making things worse
gordonthemoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 17:31   #25
MCR247
Established Member

I don't think the Red4 will use parliament street but I do agree with what you are saying
MCR247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 18:04   #26
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR247 View Post
I don't think the Red4 will use parliament street but I do agree with what you are saying
It depends whether they decide to route the Red4 via the 'City Loop' or not! I know the Red1 and Red2 both run around Colin Street, Fletchergate, then onto Victoria Centre and Parliament Street. Their argument for this is providing passengers with more convenience, and also to stop their routes looking like carbon copies of other operators. In reality, the time it takes to go around the Loop, you may as well get the Trent bus to Friar Lane and walk it!
Old 15th December 2010, 21:59   #27
starrymarkb
Established Member

That lasted a long time - Red 4 is withdrawn this month, Barginbus (Wellglade) raise prices in response!
Old 15th December 2010, 23:13   #28
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

While the Red4 may be gone, there is also now competition between Nottingham and Loughborough as Kinchbus has started running hourly on the route, competing with Premiere's half hourly X9 service. Fares on the Kinchbus route are 1 single and 2 return.

Premiere recently stated on their Facebook page that further expansion plans were on hold because of the current "situation".
Old 15th December 2010, 23:25   #29
Jordeh

Not sure what to make of this to be honest, I live in Sandiacre on the route of all the buses so I thought it was great. 6 Trent Barton buses per hour, 3 Bargain buses per hour and 3 Red Fours per hour. So 2x more service and 4x cheaper faires is surely a good thing but the Wellglade Group/Trent Barton just appear to have stopped all competition in it's tracks and then raised prices. I don't like to see business practises like that.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Jordeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 01:16   #30
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai. View Post
The good news is though, if there is a bus war there may soon be a price war.. Cheaper tickets for many!
Are you sure? What happened in places like Darlington?
yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote