RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to buy your tickets through RailUK Booking engine

Old 5th August 2015, 18:55   #16
ooo

That is a good point about the various colours and visibility.

Would anyone know if it is possible to get Digital Boards as are used now in different colours?
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 5th August 2015, 19:24   #17
ag51ruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstarbox View Post
I remember seeing split-flap/Solari platform displays on Paddock Wood and Tonbridge stations in the 1990s, as seen in this picture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...k_-_215988.jpg

Is there a proper name for these and does anyone have any other photos of this type of display?
Quite a few of the SouthEastern ones were made by a different compant (Krone rather than Solari) - the stations out to Bromley South were Krone kit, as was Sevenoaks (I think) although they worked on the same principle. That picture looks like one of those, and the red panel almost certainly said 'Please listen for announcements' as most of them did at smaller stations at weekends. Of course, there were no announcements either

The best thing about them was the rather stern message 'Not this train' which could cover all sorts of possibilities!
ag51ruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 20:44   #18
oldsiggie

But SOLARI's were always clear and easy to read, in almost any light or angle, sometimes newer is not always better, but of course it is cheaper, and that is all they worry about
oldsiggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 20:51   #19
ooo

Could the SOLARIS show all calling points?
Old 5th August 2015, 20:54   #20
JoeGJ1984

I had the idea that there was one at Brighton being preserved - what's the latest on this?
JoeGJ1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 21:03   #21
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Indeed.The flap boards were far better than the electronic displays.
Old 5th August 2015, 21:09   #22
Established Member

They were still quite common in Luxembourg when I was travelling on CFL last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/max_ra...n/photostream/

In Germany they have died out somewhat in more recent years though.

Last edited by 317666; 5th August 2015 at 21:10.
317666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 22:16   #23
ag51ruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo View Post
Could the SOLARIS show all calling points?
Depended on the route and station - there were 1, 2 or 3 flap versions although the 2 flap were most common so not always space to include every station. At somewhere like London Bridge,:the top flap was usually the destination (sometimes with route); and the bottom flap the calling pattern - so from memory it might have read:

DARTFORD
via Bexleyheath

Not calling at St Johns

or

HASTINGS

Fast to Sevenoaks

Last edited by ag51ruk; 5th August 2015 at 22:18.
ag51ruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 22:24   #24
hassaanhc
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo View Post
That is a good point about the various colours and visibility.

Would anyone know if it is possible to get Digital Boards as are used now in different colours?
Much rather a full colour LED monitor, one of which has been installed at Twickenham, showing a list of departures and basic calling pattern. Having said that, the new boards SWT have installed at North Sheen are of excellent quality.
hassaanhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 22:24   #25
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Certainly at Ashford (Kent) they managed to show all the station's for the stoppers on all routes.

They even had peculiarities, such as the very rare train to Folkestone Harbour and the 'Maidstone East, Otford, Chiselhurst, London Bridge' which was really only of use when Sevenoaks tunnel was being worked on.
Old 6th August 2015, 02:10   #26
b0b
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstarbox View Post
I remember seeing split-flap/Solari platform displays on Paddock Wood and Tonbridge stations in the 1990s
So glad you brought this up, I remember those boards too ...... loved the sound they made - give me those and the NSE clock .... heaven!
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 18:06   #27
acg5324
Andy

I have a Solari panel in my garage. It came from Victoria and was recovered from the skip when the board was replaced. The motor was completely seized by the time I got it and the 20 years of dust, dirt and pigeon s**t hadn't done it any favours. I removed the motor cleaned it up and was able to turn the gears manually to rotate the flaps. I've just fitted a meccano gear and handle to make it much easier to rotate. I'll post photos if anyone is interested.
Old 6th August 2015, 18:10   #28
ooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg5324 View Post
I have a Solari panel in my garage. It came from Victoria and was recovered from the skip when the board was replaced. The motor was completely seized by the time I got it and the 20 years of dust, dirt and pigeon s**t hadn't done it any favours. I removed the motor cleaned it up and was able to turn the gears manually to rotate the flaps. I've just fitted a meccano gear and handle to make it much easier to rotate. I'll post photos if anyone is interested.
Please do
Old 6th August 2015, 18:12   #29
lewisf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGJ1984 View Post
I had the idea that there was one at Brighton being preserved - what's the latest on this?
It's gone. Was taken down last year. Been out of use for years though.
lewisf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 18:22   #30
Hadders
Established Member

I used to love the old Solari boards, the one at Waterloo being particularly impressive. Often the flaps would get stuck though displaying an erroneous calling pattern.

The original electronic (plasma screens iirc) were particularly difficult to read during daylight. I seem to remember Waterloo and Paddington were particularly bad and had to be replaced pretty quickly by the newer style LED displays which we have to this day which, to be honest, and pretty was to read even in bright light.

Did Euston ever have a Solari board? I can only ever remember a very primitive electronic display which looks as though it could have been in place since the 1960's rebuild. It was very difficult to read and was replaced by the current board in the early 2000's iirc.
Hadders is offline   Reply With Quote