RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to buy your tickets through RailUK Booking engine

Old 6th August 2015, 18:36   #31
Tio Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg5324 View Post
I have a Solari panel in my garage. It came from Victoria and was recovered from the skip when the board was replaced. The motor was completely seized by the time I got it and the 20 years of dust, dirt and pigeon s**t hadn't done it any favours. I removed the motor cleaned it up and was able to turn the gears manually to rotate the flaps. I've just fitted a meccano gear and handle to make it much easier to rotate. I'll post photos if anyone is interested.
Is it a Solari - the original one with 40 flaps - or a Krone with 80 flaps? I have an original 40 flap Solari and a controller to operate it. It was originally installed in my office in Croydon in BR days, the flaps are printed with things like "Coffee", "Do Not Disturb" and the names of my staff at the time. I used it as a bit of fun when wanting to talk to my people and the like. I must get it out of the garage and make it work again, just for fun. Don't think the other half would respond kindly if I installed it above the study door and moved it to Coffee without speaking to her!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The majority of flap indicators were Solari, Krone started to be popular because they produced an 80 flap - instead of 40 flap - system but Solari then followed suit. There was a third supplier but I'm struggling to remember their name, it was something like Infoteck or Infotron, they supplied the Kings Cross, Hertford Loop Stations and Hounslow Loop Stations. Then there was Liverpool St which at one time had an Omega system before it was replaced by the sideways on system from Krone as part of the Broadgate redevelopment. Birmingham also had a Solari at one time, the only other one like it in the UK was at Glasgow Airport, and I had to go and buy it for BR after it had been replaced as spares, that was an interesting experience!

I could also bore you all with a story about why Liverpool St commuters ended up at the wrong stations because the Russians invaded Afghanistan because it affected the Omega system!

Last edited by Tio Terry; 6th August 2015 at 18:38. Reason: Double post prevention system
Tio Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 6th August 2015, 22:22   #32
ag51ruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadders View Post
I used to love the old Solari boards, the one at Waterloo being particularly impressive. Often the flaps would get stuck though displaying an erroneous calling pattern.

The original electronic (plasma screens iirc) were particularly difficult to read during daylight. I seem to remember Waterloo and Paddington were particularly bad and had to be replaced pretty quickly by the newer style LED displays which we have to this day which, to be honest, and pretty was to read even in bright light.

Did Euston ever have a Solari board? I can only ever remember a very primitive electronic display which looks as though it could have been in place since the 1960's rebuild. It was very difficult to read and was replaced by the current board in the early 2000's iirc.
Euston did have one, although it was replaced with a prototype electronic display in the late 80s I think - like most London terminals it also had the single flap repeaters at the ticket barriers which just showed the time and destination. I've struggled to find any photos (film was expensive back then!) but have found one of part of the Euston board on Flickr from 1981

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4932723741

I also found an interesting photo from Birmingham New Street of the display for a Harwich boat train in 1986 - not a selection of destinations you saw in the West Midlands everyday

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/upl...1341356729.jpg

Credit of course to the owners of those photographs
ag51ruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 22:51   #33
Andyh82

Did they ever have those old flappy board displays up north, such as in Leeds. I always associate them with London terminals.

I only recall the old dot matrix display at Leeds that used to be above the ticket barriers, looked like the screen from Les Dennis era Family Fortunes.
Andyh82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 22:54   #34
rebmcr
...or is it?
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag51ruk View Post
I also found an interesting photo from Birmingham New Street of the display for a Harwich boat train in 1986 - not a selection of destinations you saw in the West Midlands everyday.
Well that depends on how quickly you could peek at them flapping past!
rebmcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 22:54   #35
CallySleeper
gotta get back to Macon.
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyh82 View Post
I only recall the old dot matrix display at Leeds that used to be above the ticket barriers, looked like the screen from Les Dennis era Family Fortunes.
There was a big grey board at Nottingham (fifteen years ago now) which sounds something similar - which I'm eager to get a picture of if anyone has one. I'm interested to know also what was there before it.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:49   #36
Andyh82

This was the one at Leeds

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...8&DISPLAY=FULL

The green colour makes it look like they've taken it from Centre Court at Wimbledon from a similar era.

Amazing that's all we had up to 15 years ago, just the next 12 trains, final destination only.
Andyh82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:11   #37
telstarbox
Established Member

I think there's another example at Sevenoaks in this photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...nHeq1u-9SonBZ/

Last edited by telstarbox; 7th August 2015 at 11:15.
telstarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:02   #38
physics34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag51ruk View Post
Euston did have one, although it was replaced with a prototype electronic display in the late 80s I think - like most London terminals it also had the single flap repeaters at the ticket barriers which just showed the time and destination. I've struggled to find any photos (film was expensive back then!) but have found one of part of the Euston board on Flickr from 1981

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4932723741

I also found an interesting photo from Birmingham New Street of the display for a Harwich boat train in 1986 - not a selection of destinations you saw in the West Midlands everyday

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/upl...1341356729.jpg

Credit of course to the owners of those photographs
Remember Kings Cross's one was on speed. It went like the clappers lterally and when the 1st train departed it did an impressive showing when all the departures moved along one.
physics34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 14:07   #39
PFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyh82 View Post
Did they ever have those old flappy board displays up north, such as in Leeds. I always associate them with London terminals.
This technology did indeed extend further north than London. This is the one formerly in Edinburgh Waverley which I stood watching often enough awaiting a platform number.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenla...e.php?id=17662
PFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 09:35   #40
acg5324
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Terry View Post
Is it a Solari - the original one with 40 flaps - or a Krone with 80 flaps? I have an original 40 flap Solari and a controller to operate it. It was originally installed in my office in Croydon in BR days, the flaps are printed with things like "Coffee", "Do Not Disturb" and the names of my staff at the time. I used it as a bit of fun when wanting to talk to my people and the like. I must get it out of the garage and make it work again, just for fun. Don't think the other half would respond kindly if I installed it above the study door and moved it to Coffee without speaking to her!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The majority of flap indicators were Solari, Krone started to be popular because they produced an 80 flap - instead of 40 flap - system but Solari then followed suit. There was a third supplier but I'm struggling to remember their name, it was something like Infoteck or Infotron, they supplied the Kings Cross, Hertford Loop Stations and Hounslow Loop Stations. Then there was Liverpool St which at one time had an Omega system before it was replaced by the sideways on system from Krone as part of the Broadgate redevelopment. Birmingham also had a Solari at one time, the only other one like it in the UK was at Glasgow Airport, and I had to go and buy it for BR after it had been replaced as spares, that was an interesting experience!

I could also bore you all with a story about why Liverpool St commuters ended up at the wrong stations because the Russians invaded Afghanistan because it affected the Omega system!
Its a Solari, it has some rather odd pairings of flaps such as change at Shoreham by Sea for Balcombe! The flaps either side pair up correctly so its not as if a wrong one has been inserted. It also has red coloured flaps for Buffet service and Apologies for. All the stations are Central Division apart from one flap which has Bellingham and Catford on it.

I like the idea of 'Coffee' and 'do not disturb'.
Old 8th August 2015, 09:46   #41
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Its a Solari, it has some rather odd pairings of flaps such as change at Shoreham by Sea for Balcombe! The flaps either side pair up correctly so its not as if a wrong one has been inserted. It also has red coloured flaps for Buffet service and Apologies for. All the stations are Central Division apart from one flap which has Bellingham and Catford on it.

I'm intrigued as to why a solari indicator for Croydon would have the Catford loop on it
Old 8th August 2015, 11:13   #42
Tio Terry

Quote:

I mentioned in a previous post that I had to buy the remnants of the Glasgow Airport system to keep the Birmingham system going.
On one occasion we had an Engineers Inspection train which was leaving from Platform 1 so I got my guys to equip on display with some of the flaps from the Glasgow system so that it read something like:-

Special Service
Invited guests only
Calling at
Heathrow
Bermuda
Paris
Frankfurt

Not sure it was that order but something like it.

Our Engineer laughed but my immediate boss didn't see the funny side of it, got a right rollicking!
Tio Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 15:33   #43
jamesst

I'm pretty sure Merseyrail had the platform solari boards on the underground in the early years of the Liverpool loop, maybe someone here has a picture of them?
jamesst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 22:26   #44
edwin_m
Established Member

I had a visit to the Solari control room at Waterloo as a graduate trainee in 1988. It was all controlled by punched cards and due to the maximum number of flaps each one could have, not all the displays had the same set of stations on them. If you put a card in the slot for a display it didn't apply it you ended up with some very ridiculous calling patterns!
Old 9th August 2015, 07:04   #45
GatwickDepress
Missing the plastic pigs
Established Member

Were there any intermediate technology between finger boards and their replacement by mini-Solari boards?