RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to buy your tickets through RailUK Booking engine

Old 10th August 2015, 20:42   #61
MichaelAMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
I remember travvelling home from Waterloo many years ago and there was always the details for a train changing on the Solari there as it was peaktime. Would the Waterloo one have been the biggest anywhere in the UK?
There were three of them, in fact: in the middle, everything; one to the left, main lines; one to the right, Windsor lines.

The Solari at Paddington was interesting from the point of view of stations no longer served or even open. On a windy day the flaps would sometimes move to briefly reveal these, e.g Barnstaple, Bideford, Torrington, W Ruislip, Denham G Club, Falmouth, and obviously you could see them zip past as the board was changing. I don't recall seeing any names from the GW route to Birmingham and Merseyside. I also liked the use of the first line to display information, e.g. Inter City, Cornish Riviera, Golden Hind, Fully Reserved, Continued from previous column, Cancelled; and the bottom one for facilities, e.g. Restaurant Buffet to Newton Abbot, Sorry no refreshments today, in a rather more varied way than was generally the case elesewhere.
MichaelAMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th August 2015, 21:24   #62
rebmcr
...or is it?
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M28361M View Post
Here's a picture I found on Flickr of Moorfields circa 1981, on which you can just about make out the Solari board. https://flic.kr/p/btK4uL
That photographer is very impressive. Whatever film stock he used in the 1980s is on a par with modern digital reproduction, there's none of the graininess or colour grading that my brain has come to associate with the era!
rebmcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 06:35   #63
Mag_seven

There were several mini versions on the Glasgow Central and Queen St low level lines in the 1990's, such as this example at Glasgow Queen St low level:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenla...e.php?id=17789
Mag_seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 15:11   #64
DelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAMW View Post
On a windy day the flaps would sometimes move to briefly reveal these, e.g Barnstaple, Bideford, Torrington, W Ruislip, Denham G Club, Falmouth, and obviously you could see them zip past as the board was changing.
My inner pedant feels the need to point out that you can still leave Paddington on a direct train to West Ruislip, albeit only once a day.

I used it a couple of years ago and was the only passenger (although there had been three of us on the up working). Nearly on-topic, with some attention to camera settings I just about managed a readable photo of the Paddington platform destination indicator showing West Ruislip.
DelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 13:43   #65
telstarbox
Established Member

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead

On this photo of Hayes (Kent), there is a "next train" indicator which appears to be internally illuminated and says:
London Bridge, Waterloo,
Charing Cx .
Is the remaining unilluminated section on the second line to show "Cannon St" ?

Last edited by telstarbox; 12th January 2017 at 15:37.
telstarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 14:20   #66
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag51ruk View Post
I also found an interesting photo from Birmingham New Street of the display for a Harwich boat train in 1986 - not a selection of destinations you saw in the West Midlands everyday
Never seen those in context before - nor noticed the errors - without the umlaut it should be Koeln, and I think the O-with-a-line in Danish works the same.
Old 13th January 2017, 04:31   #67
ag51ruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstarbox View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead

On this photo of Hayes (Kent), there is a "next train" indicator which appears to be internally illuminated and says:
London Bridge, Waterloo,
Charing Cx .
Is the remaining unilluminated section on the second line to show "Cannon St" ?
The wonders of 70s technology! That is a fingerboard, I.e. a piece of wood with the names of the stations printed on and slotted into the 'Next Train' bit. To show a Cannon Street train, the platform staff would replace the whole board with a different one (likely to be propped up against the pillar below). No electricity required

A number of stations still have the metal slots, although long since disused - I mentioned seeing one on the up platform at Bexleyheath last year earlier in this thread. There is a picture of a more typical one on eBay here, note the metal bits round the edge of each end to help protect them.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Fing...-/131813959892

Last edited by ag51ruk; 13th January 2017 at 04:42.
ag51ruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 07:55   #68
telstarbox
Established Member

Ah that makes sense

I've also found someone has made a model board controlled by an Arduino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQcpUdeYbY
Old 13th January 2017, 09:16   #69
XCTurbostar
Telecoms Engineer

A lot of the infrastructure at Waterloo is actually still named Solari. An example of this is the platform Telephones on the platforms which do not connect to the signal box at Wimbledon but instead to the Solari Desk which is a station manager.

Thanks,
Ross
Old 13th January 2017, 10:17   #70
AndyW33

Quote:
I also found an interesting photo from Birmingham New Street of the display for a Harwich boat train in 1986 - not a selection of destinations you saw in the West Midlands everyday
Oh yes, that reminds me of the (live) station announcer at Manchester Victoria in the days of the North Country Continental, reading out the list of station stops across the East Midlands and East Anglia, then the ferry connection and the list of continental cities the ferry connected onto, ending with Moscow, and then the final flourish "The train at Platform 12 is for Moscow"
AndyW33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 13:52   #71
nlogax

Quote:
Euston did have one, although it was replaced with a prototype electronic display in the late 80s I think - like most London terminals it also had the single flap repeaters at the ticket barriers which just showed the time and destination. I've struggled to find any photos (film was expensive back then!) but have found one of part of the Euston board on Flickr from 1981

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4932723741
This one really surprises me - I wasn't aware BR used this sort of expensive station display technology back at the start of the 80s. The most similar display to this at the time was lurking behind Bob Monkhouse on Family Fortunes..
nlogax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 19:55   #72
urpert
uk.railway exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Terry View Post
For the whole of the Southern Region we would often change upwards of 250,000 flaps. That would be some letraset!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

At Gatwick? I cant remember but the old Solari boards had a maximum of 40 displays, one being blank. We had some newer boards ( not at Gatwick) that had 80 flap displays - Victoria was one - so you were limited by the number of displays rather than the number of stations.
The Eastern side of Victoria has never been the same since the Solari boards went. I love the noise they make.

Thanks for the reminiscence.
urpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32   #73
telstarbox
Established Member

On a trip to Berlin last week I was happy to see they still have some of this type of sign! The attached photo shows the sign on the S-Bahn platforms at Warschauer Straße.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170322_145320750_HDR.jpg (89.6 KB, 54 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:34   #74
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

DB were installing new ones well into the 2000s, though they now seem to be being replaced by an LCD type.
Old Yesterday, 09:00   #75
zuriblue

SBB still have quite a few of them knocking around (there's a set at Wettingen one stop towards Zürich from me) but most are LCD displays now. The big Solari board at Zürich HB was replaced last year with a multi screen LED setup.
zuriblue is offline   Reply With Quote