RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Old 20th March 2017, 09:59   #1
trainophile
Established Member

Default Advance ticket, choice of connection at Glasgow Central?

I'm on my way to Ayr today via Glasgow Central, where I arrive at 1315. The journey planner put me on the 1334, but I see there is a 1330 to Ayr that is a bit quicker. It also says on RTT "service does not have a guard".

Would I be okay to get that one? The only reservation on my through ticket is Wigan to Glasgow.

Last edited by trainophile; 20th March 2017 at 10:00.
trainophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 20th March 2017, 10:04   #2
crehld
Senior Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainophile View Post
I'm on my way to Ayr today via Glasgow Central, where I arrive at 1315. The journey planner put me on the 1334, but I see there is a 1330 to Ayr that is a bit quicker. It also says on RTT "service does not have a guard".

Would I be okay to get that one?
Do you have an actual reservation for the 1334 service to Ayr? Or has the journey planner just suggested that service to you as a connecting service? If the latter, I see no problem getting the earlier service.

While many Scotrail services in the Strathcylde regions don't have a guard, they will almost certainly have a ticket inspector on board.
crehld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:06   #3
JakeF
Established Member

That would be fine, yes. Your ticket is valid on appropriate connecting trains, and the 1330 from GLC is clearly appropriate.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:18   #4
trainophile
Established Member

Thanks both. Nope, no timed train specified on ticket, just on journey planner. Presumably it will work the barrier on a different platform!
Old 20th March 2017, 10:45   #5
Mag_seven

Quote:
Do you have an actual reservation for the 1334 service to Ayr?
I don't believe you can reserve seats on Glasgow to Ayr services so OP should be OK.
Mag_seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 13:50   #6
trainophile
Established Member

All okay, and yes there is a ticket inspector. Barely glanced at mine. I have an honest face!
Old 20th March 2017, 22:25   #7
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks both. Nope, no timed train specified on ticket, just on journey planner. Presumably it will work the barrier on a different platform!
It's an appropriate connection, so it's valid.

The magnetic stripe encoding is very basic and the system is not capable of cross-referencing appropriate or booked services with platform allocations (nor would it be in any way desirable for it to be).
Quote:
All okay, and yes there is a ticket inspector. Barely glanced at mine. I have an honest face!
They are very friendly in my experience and their priority is to sell tickets to people needing them (a lot of the stations on those lines are unstaffed, rather like the Northern and ATW networks); they certainly aren't going to be fussing over whether you are on the right connecting service or not.