RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Old 11th March 2017, 10:19   #2911
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Paxton View Post
I found some £7 seat sale tickets on 4 May from Warrington to Edinburgh.

Not surprised that VTWC+connections Advances are excluded, given that the other TOC(s) will want to be paid. I imagine they don't feature in other VTWC sales either.
I searched dates in August (towards the end of when the promotion is valid) and found plenty of Manchester to London £10 Advances but no Advance fares for Warrington to Edinburgh.

I thought Virgin usually add on a pound or two for a VTWC+Connections Advance over the cost of buying the ticket without the connection. With the sale prices it'll be cheaper to buy a separate ticket for the connection.
Old 11th March 2017, 23:14   #2912
Silver Cobra

Quote:
Not surprised that VTWC+connections Advances are excluded, given that the other TOC(s) will want to be paid. I imagine they don't feature in other VTWC sales either.
Yeah, +Connections advances don't seem to feature in VTWC sales, but they do in some VTEC ones. The last VTEC 50% off sale allowed VTEC+Connections advances to be purchased at the discounted prices (I purchased Arlesey to Newcastle 1st class advances for March 23rd at £29 each way, for example). Hopefully this could change for VTWC in the future, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Silver Cobra; 11th March 2017 at 23:20.
Silver Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 00:44   #2913
Butts
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cobra View Post
Yeah, +Connections advances don't seem to feature in VTWC sales, but they do in some VTEC ones. The last VTEC 50% off sale allowed VTEC+Connections advances to be purchased at the discounted prices (I purchased Arlesey to Newcastle 1st class advances for March 23rd at £29 each way, for example). Hopefully this could change for VTWC in the future, but I doubt it.
Indeed, I have had plenty of Falkirk to various North of England destinations which are VTEC + Connections in the sales.
Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:09   #2914
Joe Paxton

I thought I'd seen this offer flagged up in this thread already, but having just had a quick glance back through the recent pages I can't find it so perhaps it hasn't been mentioned.

It's the South West Trains "Winter Promotion":
Quote:
Travel between Saturday 14 January and Sunday 9 April 2017 and explore with South West Trains. Just £14 for adults and for £3 kids, with an advanced Off-Peak single ticket.

So whatever you’re planning to do in 2017, explore over 200 destinations on our network. All you have to do is book your ticket online by midnight the day before you travel!
... £14 Off-Peak single tickets if booked online by midnight the day before. It comes to an end on Sunday 9 April, having been running since Saturday 14 January.

Worth noting the £14 price is for a single ticket, which is the same as their last promotion, but the promos which ran before that were for return journeys (at a cost of circa £15). I wonder if this increase might partly be a response to reported overcrowding during previous offer periods? Though perhaps just as likely an effort to extract more cash as the current franchise draws to a close. Given the upgrade works :
Quote:
This summer, between 5 and 28 August inclusive, fewer South West Trains services will run while work starts to extend platforms at London Waterloo. This will allow longer trains with more seats and more space for passengers.
  • The majority of stations will have fewer train services
  • Services and stations will be busier than usual, especially in the morning and evening peaks on weekdays
  • Some journeys are likely to take longer
  • There will be queuing systems outside some stations
  • A small number of stations will be closed
...happening at Waterloo this August, I highly doubt SWT will run an offer over the summer.

One thing that is frustrating is that these £14 promo fares only show up on some booking sites (e.g. SWTs obviously, EMT, VTWC, ATW, Northern, Scotrail, Grand Central, XC, Chiltern, GWR) but not on others (e.g. Greater Anglia, VTEC, TPX, c2c, Hull Trains, raileasy, trainsplit, the Govia sites - GTR, Southeastern and London Midland). I don't really get why they all can't/don't offer said tickets? It's not like SWT is restricting sales of these promo fares to its own site.

Last edited by yorkie; 23rd March 2017 at 07:48. Reason: added quote
Joe Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:20   #2915
Kite159
Established Member

Quote:
I thought I'd seen this offer flagged up in this thread already, but having just had a quick glance back through the recent pages I can't find it so perhaps it hasn't been mentioned.

It's the South West Trains "Winter Promotion" - £14 Off-Peak single tickets if booked online by midnight the day before. It comes to an end on Sunday 9 April, having been running since Saturday 14 January.

Worth noting the £14 price is for a single ticket, which is the same as their last promotion, but the promos which ran before that were for return journeys (at a cost of circa £15). I wonder if this increase might partly be a response to reported overcrowding during previous offer periods? Though perhaps just as likely an effort to extract more cash as the current franchise draws to a close. Given the upgrade works happening at Waterloo this August, I highly doubt SWT will run an offer over the summer.

One thing that is frustrating is that these £14 promo fares only show up on some booking sites (e.g. SWTs obviously, EMT, VTWC, ATW, Northern, Scotrail, Grand Central, XC, Chiltern, GWR) but not on others (e.g. Greater Anglia, VTEC, TPX, c2c, Hull Trains, raileasy, trainsplit, the Govia sites - GTR, Southeastern and London Midland). I don't really get why they all can't/don't offer said tickets? It's not like SWT is restricting sales of these promo fares to its own site.
Beware the £14 single tickets are a lot more restricted in terms of travel time into/out of London during the week [compared to the old £15* return deals]

(*I know it changed in price from £14 to £20 depending which promo it was on)
Old 21st March 2017, 11:47   #2916
Joe Paxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite159 View Post
Beware the £14 single tickets are a lot more restricted in terms of travel time into/out of London during the week [compared to the old £15* return deals]

(*I know it changed in price from £14 to £20 depending which promo it was on)
I was about to to say 'no more restricted than Super Off-Peak tickets' but then I had a look at a Southampton to London day trip - the last early evening departure ex-Waterloo is the 1605, same as the Super Off-Peak Return, but the first post-rush hour permitted train is then the 2005 (compared to the 1905 for the SOPR). So these promo tickets have their own bespoke restrictions (as revealed by BRfares).
Joe Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote