RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > UK Railway Discussion

Old 20th March 2017, 21:52   #151
Busaholic
Established Member

Couldn't two or three of those Southern conductors get re-trained as lift operators?
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 20th March 2017, 22:19   #152
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Watching it now, and was quite interested by the security person checking a suspicious bag - first thing he did was open it, which would surely have set off a booby trapped device. Seemed odd.
Old 20th March 2017, 22:26   #153
GodAtum
Established Member

he aerial guys have a very cool job, what's their callsign?

Do the camera crew need training to film on the tracks?
GodAtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 22:28   #154
EM2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Watching it now, and was quite interested by the security person checking a suspicious bag - first thing he did was open it, which would surely have set off a booby trapped device. Seemed odd.
How else do you check it? Pick it up? What if it has a tilt switch?
Old 20th March 2017, 22:30   #155
Mag_seven
Established Member

Quote:
Obviously he did not regard the bag as "HOT".
Mag_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 23:02   #156
Chris M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
Do the camera crew need training to film on the tracks?
I believe that people who are not PTS trained are allowed to be on the tracks when accompanied by someone who is PTS-trained and whose sole responsibility is to ensure the safety of those they are accompanying.

Whether they are using this method or have put the crew through a PTS course I don't know. I'd be surprised though if there wasn't someone accompanying the camera operator at least though, as they will be concentrating (almost) entirely on the view through their camera and so have little to no peripheral vision.

Regardless though I'm sure they will have had at least instructions in the very basics.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:13   #157
Crossover
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455driver View Post
I am sure the lift installer would be really happy to have a barely trained non employee mucking about with their lifts, I am also sure it wouldnt have any effect on the warranty of the lifts.
I'm sure some lift equipment I have seen has instructions on how to lower it if it stops working (releasing the hydraulic pressure) - that said, it is in a room nearby, not in a pit under the platform
Old 20th March 2017, 23:24   #158
Mojo
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
I'm sure some lift equipment I have seen has instructions on how to lower it if it stops working (releasing the hydraulic pressure) - that said, it is in a room nearby, not in a pit under the platform
Indeed; depending on the type of lift it is pretty standard design to have staff be able to operate it in order to release trapped customers, this would include manual lowering in the case of a hydraulic or something like power winding or manual handwinding for other lift types.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:26   #159
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
How else do you check it? Pick it up? What if it has a tilt switch?
I'd always assumed that if it was a credible threat they would go straight for the Police and not touch it themselves.

He couldn't possibly have known if it was a credible threat or not from outside, and opening it could have been his last act.

Mind you, there was another case later on in the programme I also thought was a bit dodgy - the driver who was clearly paying more attention to being interviewed than to the line ahead. I did wonder if it was mocked up[1] with another loco on the front, but it didn't look like. Surely not within the rules?

And they don't know what an HST is

[1] The phone call to base by that bridge inspector definitely was. "Err, that bridge"? No way would that call actually take place like that, surely?

Last edited by Bletchleyite; 20th March 2017 at 23:34.
Bletchleyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 23:35   #160
Railsigns
It's a "DATUM PLATE" !
Established Member

Quote:
I'd always assumed that if it was a credible threat they would go straight for the Police and not touch it themselves.

He couldn't possibly have known if it was a credible threat or not from outside, and opening it could have been his last act.
Or a 'creditable threat', as the guy in the office described it.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:35   #161
Crossover
Established Member

Quote:
Mind you, there was another case later on in the programme I also thought was a bit dodgy - the driver who was clearly paying more attention to being interviewed than to the line ahead. I did wonder if it was mocked up with another loco on the front, but it didn't look like. Surely not within the rules?

Well, it was a 91/DVT she was driving, not the HST they were talking about. I would guess such an interview would only take place on clear signals at least and not round complex junctions and such as they've done such interviews on other programs
Old 20th March 2017, 23:36   #162
Mag_seven
Established Member

Quote:
Also during the track renewal section the statement was made that trains pass on the adjacent lines "at speeds of over 125mph" - oh dear oh dear
Mag_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 23:37   #163
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
Well, it was a 91/DVT she was driving, not the HST they were talking about. I would guess such an interview would only take place on clear signals at least and not round complex junctions and such as they've done such interviews on other programs
Yeah, I've seen it done before (the ones in cars are also very common, and I'm not sure if those are to be encouraged either) - but she seemed *very* distracted and not properly paying attention to the line, much more so than other times I've seen it. It was actually quite alarming to watch.

Yes, everything they referred to as HST was actually 91+Mk4.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:56   #164
RPM
Driver
Established Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen it done before (the ones in cars are also very common, and I'm not sure if those are to be encouraged either) - but she seemed *very* distracted and not properly paying attention to the line, much more so than other times I've seen it. It was actually quite alarming to watch.
As a driver, it certainly didn't strike me that she was distracted. It was no different from situations where a driver manager is present in the cab, having a chat.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 00:02   #165
JamesGar

Quote:

Yes, everything they referred to as HST was actually 91+Mk4.
There would most likely be a driver manager also in the cab, so an extra set of eyes watching the track ahead
JamesGar is offline   Reply With Quote