RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Rail Photography > Photography Sites, Blogs & Videos

Old 20th March 2017, 12:16   #1
RSC Friends
RSC Friends

Default double-headed over South Devon Banks

Hi,
I am writing new interpretation for Newton Abbot Museum's GWR Room.
I have been leaning heavily on the goodwill of Forum members - and now want more.
Does anyone have a good shot of a double-headed working - patently in Newton Abbot Station - or distinctively on the South Devon Banks, I can use, please, to show the visitors what I mean by "double-headed over South Devon Banks".
Thanks
RSC Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 20th March 2017, 15:43   #2
Ash Bridge
Established Member

This is perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but I do have a slide taken at Newton Abbot Station during September 1991 depicting a charter train double headed by a pair of Class 37 locomotive. (37671 & 37673) The only problem with this is that the train has just arrived from the Paignton direction so unfortunately is pointing towards Exeter, the annoying thing is that at the other end of the train are a pair of Class 56 locomotives ready to then take it forward over the Devon banks which I sadly never managed a shot of a Newton Abbot. If this is of any use just inform me and I could get it scanned and forward it to you.
Ash Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 16:49   #3
RSC Friends
RSC Friends

That's a kind offer, Ash Bridge thanks, but I was hoping for an older picture showing double-headed steam traction - the point I am trying to make to our museum visitors is about the reason for the importance of NA as the stabling point for the banking engines.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:13   #4
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSC Friends View Post
That's a kind offer, Ash Bridge thanks, but I was hoping for an older picture showing double-headed steam traction - the point I am trying to make to our museum visitors is about the reason for the importance of NA as the stabling point for the banking engines.
Ah that's not a problem, I can appreciate your aim there, sadly BR Western Region steam traction had long vanished before my holiday memories in the far southwest commenced, hopefully someone will come along to oblige.
Ash Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 20:30   #5
edwin_m
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSC Friends View Post
I think they're generally referred to as pilot engines if attached at the front for double heading. To me banking means having a second locomotive pushing the rear of the train. The term "assisting" would cover both.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:22   #6
John Webb

Try the Geograph website, in particular: http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=70344125 where there are examples of both double-heading and banking available.

There are other sources of railway photos - see the classified adverts in The Railway Magazine, for example.

Last edited by John Webb; 20th March 2017 at 23:24.
John Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 00:04   #7
RSC Friends
RSC Friends

Thanks for the direction on the correct terminology edwin_m, and for the link to the geograph site, John Webb.