RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Old 17th February 2017, 19:27   #16
RJ
Rail Rep Bus Driver
Established Member

I've had multiple passes and season tickets valid at Denmark Hill. Not a single one of works the barriers at Denmark Hill as the powers that be have set all of them to error 57 "Ticket Not Valid at this location"

It's one of those mysterious, nonsensical things the railways do that make no sense. The station cannot cope with the explosion in passenger numbers both incoming and outgoing in the peaks - it's so bad that trains have to dwell longer to allow the bottlenecks on the narrow platforms and steps to clear so people can get off.

The railway's way of dealing with this is to set the 3 or so barriers at the only exit to reject valid tickets and smartcards which are unequivocally valid there. They also love changing platforms at a moment's notice - a long term problem that nothing effective has been done to resolve. This causes people to wait on the bridge and steps which further exacerbates the problem. I've even missed trains because of the notice of less than a minute combined with the crowding. You can't blame people for blocking the steps, though this isn't practical given well over 100 people can be waiting for each train.

It's baffling as to why those in charge of the station choose to set the barriers like that - and why the railways can't sort out something as basic as correct information on what platform the punters can take their train from.

Last edited by RJ; 17th February 2017 at 19:46.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 17th February 2017, 19:58   #17
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_900 View Post
!!! Now to convince the gate staff...
If exiting, I'd explain that I am entitled to exit the station and that I will be doing so, and if they claim the ticket was not valid I'd ask them what routes are valid. If necessary it could be dealt with by contacting the police if they falsely imprisoned you within the station.

However entering is tricky, but I'd ask for something in writing. If they refused, I'd make notes and ask them to provide a verbal statement to include in my complaint.

You have to be assertive with them. Never swear at them, no matter how provocative they are. But don't give in either.
Old 17th February 2017, 20:11   #18
RJ
Rail Rep Bus Driver
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
If exiting, I'd explain that I am entitled to exit the station and that I will be doing so, and if they claim the ticket was not valid I'd ask them what routes are valid. If necessary it could be dealt with by contacting the police if they falsely imprisoned you within the station.

However entering is tricky, but I'd ask for something in writing. If they refused, I'd make notes and ask them to provide a verbal statement to include in my complaint.

You have to be assertive with them. Never swear at them, no matter how provocative they are. But don't give in either.
I know the staff there and I'd seriously doubt any issues of this nature would crop up with them.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 20:23   #19
soil
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_900 View Post
!!! Now to convince the gate staff...
Bit tricky.

Redhill - Blackfriars is 20.99 miles

However Redhill - London Bridge is 20.58 miles

If you take the Denmark Hill - Blackfriars at 3.81 miles, that gives 16.77 based on a London Bridge closest London Terminal miles, add 3 miles, which gives 19.77 miles max

19.33 miles is:

Redhill - Norwood Junction
Norwood Junction - Tulse Hill
Tulse Hill - Peckham Rye
Peckham Rye - Blackfriars

19.88 miles is
Redhill - Streatham Common (one daily or via East Croydon)
Streatham Common - Peckham Rye
Peckham Rye - Blackfriars

NR says no for the Streatham route

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...a=East_Dulwich (check the 05:49 taking 1 hr 27)

presumably based on the closer London terminal.

Getting it to route via both Crystal Palace and East Dulwich is harder as you only get one via point.
soil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 22:05   #20
SA_900

Thanks RJ, Soil, Yorkie et al. Used it today with no problem (bar the usual error message). Was waved through after a only a brief explanation - don't think staff are able to read the smartcards. Hopefully she'll remember me next time.
SA_900 is offline   Reply With Quote