RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport

Old 16th May 2017, 11:39   #46
me123
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endecotp View Post
No. There is never a case where English banknotes are not accepted in Scotland.
A few of the more fundamentalist nationalist individuals aside (I'm aware of one person), BoE notes are in circulation alongside the ones from the Scottish banks. Lothian Buses would have no issue taking a BoE fiver, plastic or otherwise (at the time, the paper notes were in circulation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Indeed, the Clydesdale Bank introduced them in 2015.
And NI beat us all back in 1999. (BBC news story)

Quote:
The Bank of England is releasing its first £5 polymer note, but the Northern Bank was the first in the UK to issue a polymer fiver back in October 1999.
Two million special edition notes were made to mark the millennium; they featured an illustration of the Space Shuttle on one side.

Last edited by me123; 16th May 2017 at 11:41.
me123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 16th May 2017, 15:20   #47
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123 View Post
A few of the more fundamentalist nationalist individuals aside (I'm aware of one person), BoE notes are in circulation alongside the ones from the Scottish banks.
Not only that, but if you withdraw cash from an English bank branch (in Scotland that's mainly HSBC) you will get Bank of England notes, because Scottish banks can only issue their own notes, not those of other banks, and so HSBC doesn't actually have any to issue. This can be useful for an English person going to Scotland!

As for the individual you mention, I'm quite happy that they will not get any of my money whether English or Scottish. As it happens I'm neutral on Scottish independence (my line generally is essentially that if a people want self determination it's their right to have it if they want, though I think the dissolution of the UK would be a shame but not my decision) but that's just being silly.
Old 16th May 2017, 22:34   #48
me123
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Not only that, but if you withdraw cash from an English bank branch (in Scotland that's mainly HSBC) you will get Bank of England notes, because Scottish banks can only issue their own notes, not those of other banks, and so HSBC doesn't actually have any to issue. This can be useful for an English person going to Scotland!

As for the individual you mention, I'm quite happy that they will not get any of my money whether English or Scottish. As it happens I'm neutral on Scottish independence (my line generally is essentially that if a people want self determination it's their right to have it if they want, though I think the dissolution of the UK would be a shame but not my decision) but that's just being silly.
He was an idiot - actually a customer where I used to work. He once referred to an English banknote as "foreign muck" - a thoroughly unpleasant individual. I was hopeful of the day when I'd have a Northern Irish fiver to give him in change. Sadly, never happened. (I suspect he'd have been OK with it actually...)

Most banks who don't issue notes presumably have agreements in place as to whose notes to issue - HSBC and Barclays are generally good for English notes. Santander tends to issue Clydesdale Bank for some reason, as do (I think) Nationwide. It's not worth the hassle as far as I'm concerned - I don't go out of my way to get English notes and I don't see why I should. I've never had a problem, and if I did I'd do exactly what you'd do and spend my money elsewhere, thank you very much.

Sorry, derailing the thread
me123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:51   #49
kylemore

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123 View Post
He was an idiot - actually a customer where I used to work. He once referred to an English banknote as "foreign muck" - a thoroughly unpleasant individual. I was hopeful of the day when I'd have a Northern Irish fiver to give him in change. Sadly, never happened. (I suspect he'd have been OK with it actually...)
Well I'm sure he can be matched idiot for idiot with the people "down south" who look at Scottish banknotes as if they were something they just scraped off their shoes!
kylemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 21:37   #50
Kite159
Established Member

BTW am I correct in thinking a Spirit of Scotland rover is now valid for use on the trams in the city zone?
Kite159 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 22:51   #51
AngusH

Website says yes:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/c...it-of-scotland
> Tram travel – with Edinburgh Trams

They also tweeted:

https://twitter.com/EdinburghTrams/s...783170/photo/1

It doesn't even appear to state that it's restricted to the city zone.
(?)
AngusH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 23:16   #52
Zoidberg
White Rock, BC, below
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite159 View Post
BTW am I correct in thinking a Spirit of Scotland rover is now valid for use on the trams in the city zone?
Well, the website says that it is. From

Quote:

What's included?

The cost of your Spirit of Scotland travel pass includes:

Tram travel – with Edinburgh Trams
Edit ... oops, snap AngusH. Your post was on the next page and I didn't see it.

Last edited by Zoidberg; 20th May 2017 at 23:24.
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 20:30   #53
Kite159
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
Website says yes:

> Tram travel – with Edinburgh Trams

They also tweeted:

https://twitter.com/EdinburghTrams/s...783170/photo/1

It doesn't even appear to state that it's restricted to the city zone.
(?)
Thanks, should save me £1.60 if tram 255 comes out to play tomorrow or Tuesday
Kite159 is online now   Reply With Quote