RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Railway History & Nostalgia

Old 19th May 2017, 03:12   #46
Flying Snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopstone View Post
It's a product I would aspire to but, priced appropriately, what would the market be?

Very wealthy enthusiasts with lots of time to recoup their investment.

Owners of very successful private companies, without a stock market listing hence limited corporate governance issues, who travel frequently on business but prefer the train to a Mercedes S-class and driver.

I think those potential markets would number a couple of hundred people nationally, at most, though there may be more solitary and rich rail enthusiasts than I estimate. Interesting topic.
Well if you were very wealthy then a non-UK home, preferably in a tax haven, and 12x monthly Britrail passes at c £10k (first class of course) would be an option.
Flying Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 19th May 2017, 10:33   #47
higthomas

One could of course make use of a very literal wording of the NRCOT and the ALR restrictions and combine it with a Zone 1-2 Travlecard valid from Finsbury Park to Kings cross. There you go, got yourself a virtually unlimited ticket.

Last edited by higthomas; 19th May 2017 at 10:35.
higthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 13:49   #48
EbbwJunction1

"The cost of this was £650 second class and £1,000 for first, which, using the Bank of England's inflation calculator would translate as £7,213.96 standard and £11,098.04 in first class today."

I'm wondering what would be the point of having a First Class ticket if you wanted to travel widely instead of just on a set route?

There are large areas (the Cardiff Valleys and Merseyrail spring to mind, but I guess that there are others) where there are no First Class services, so wouldn't you be paying for something that you couldn't have?
Old 19th May 2017, 17:28   #49
Polarbear
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbwJunction1 View Post
"The cost of this was £650 second class and £1,000 for first, which, using the Bank of England's inflation calculator would translate as £7,213.96 standard and £11,098.04 in first class today."

I'm wondering what would be the point of having a First Class ticket if you wanted to travel widely instead of just on a set route?

There are large areas (the Cardiff Valleys and Merseyrail spring to mind, but I guess that there are others) where there are no First Class services, so wouldn't you be paying for something that you couldn't have?
Just to add a little context, in the days when this ticket was available, (and at that price), provision of 1st class was considerably more generous than is the case today.
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 18:27   #50
Rover
Trainspotters Compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
Just to add a little context, in the days when this ticket was available, (and at that price), provision of 1st class was considerably more generous than is the case today.
And more comfier!
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 05:16   #51
the sniper
Established Member

This thread must have stirred some interest somewhere, as the Rail Deliver Group have recently put out a familiarisation retail brief about the existence of an 'All Line Rail Pass', valid for 12 months of unlimited travel. It's apparently only issued to 'clients of [RDG]'. There are currently only 45 issued. It's treated like a season ticket and needs to be accompanied by a standard photocard. If you go by the face of the ticket, iirc, it's priceless.

There's a page on Knowledgebase for it.
the sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 06:26   #52
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
Plus, if you're going long distances, you're probably going to end up doing a lot of IC travel. I'm pretty sure that a large proportion of 1st gen DMU's had 1st class accommodation.