RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Traction & Rolling Stock

Old 23rd May 2017, 19:55   #226
trash80

NRM could do with one in the main hall, it is the biggest gap in the selection they have there
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:09   #227
aylesbury
On Moderation

Don't bother with a stuffed and mounted 121; come to Chinnor and have a ride on our unit all the way into Risboro'.

We do a wildlife trip in ours as well. Maybe the Chiltern units will end up a line that wants to run shopper specials, as well as regular enthusiast trips, could be in Yorkshire maybe?

Last edited by yorkie; 23rd May 2017 at 22:52. Reason: legibility
aylesbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 20:28   #228
HainultLoop

I wonder whether it would be a possibility to keep them in mainline condition perhaps for a heritage line operating over NR tracks?
HainultLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:53   #229
KingDaveRa

Well, for what it's worth I was just down at the Morrisons next to Aylesbury depot where the two bubble cars are now sitting in the sidings. As I walked past I noticed the engine running on 121020, the doors open, and a couple of chaps in hi-vis sitting onboard in the passenger seats. When I walked past again after leaving the shop, they were taking photos of the inside of 121034.

I guess there must be some sort of interest in them.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:56   #230
HLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaveRa View Post
Well, for what it's worth I was just down at the Morrisons next to Aylesbury depot where the two bubble cars are now sitting in the sidings. As I walked past I noticed the engine running on 121020, the doors open, and a couple of chaps in hi-vis sitting onboard in the passenger seats. When I walked past again after leaving the shop, they were taking photos of the inside of 121034.

I guess there must be some sort of interest in them.
Even with one of them having transmission issues they are maintained to mainline standards and will probably be in much better condition than bubble cars on preserved lines.

I imagine there is a lot of interest in both units.
HLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:55   #231
Class 33
Established Member

I should have kept an eye on this topic!! I had for several years been planning on one day doing a trip to enjoy a return trip from Princes Risborough-Aylesbury on a Class 121 Bubble Car. Bit of a trek to get to from Bristol though for those two specific evening services. But it would have been worth it, about an 18 minute journey in each direction on one of those! As otherwise in recent years, the only time I've been on a Class 121 Bubble Car is just a couple of VERY short return journeys from Cardiff Queen Street-Cardiff Bay. Journey times of only about 90 seconds in each direction! No sooner had you sat down, and it's then time to get off! So a return journey from Princes Risbrough-Aylesbury would have been so much better. Was planning on FINALLY doing that trip next week. Anyway, I had a look at this thread a few weeks ago, and was absolutely gutted to find that their last ever days of services were on the 19th May!!! Too late for me now!

Oh well, not much I can do about it now! I'll just have to buy the new Chiltern Bubble Cars Driver's Eye View & documentary from Video. Which looks pretty good.

Any chance there will be a proper Bubble Car Farewell Tour?! Probably not I expect!

Last edited by Class 33; 2nd July 2017 at 22:56.
Class 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:06   #232
swt_passenger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class 33 View Post
I should have kept an eye on this topic!
[...]
Any chance there will be a proper Bubble Car Farewell Tour?! Probably not I expect!
It happened in April, it was covered in this thread at the time...

Last edited by swt_passenger; 2nd July 2017 at 23:08.
swt_passenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:49   #233
KingDaveRa

I've noticed both units have been moved to the end of the siding. The shunter Lesley is now at the opposite end of the siding - considering how often Lesley moves, that's quite something in itself!
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote