RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Old 16th August 2017, 18:02   #166
Flying Phil

As an aside I am not just taking photographs at the GCR - I also usually have a train ride and buy a Great Central Breakfast. I am also doing some cosmetic preservation on the Windcutter "B" rake. these are presently in Quorn station yard when I got to Quorn yesterday I found that three wagons have been split from the rake.

So I set to with my trusty tin of BR grey and 4" paint brush!

Flying Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 16th August 2017, 18:20   #167
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Good work Phil. Now you need to go at them with a scraper and a pot of rust creator...
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 21:07   #168
tjlrailblue

yup... they need weathering...
tjlrailblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 07:21   #169
pmh_74

Phil, drop me a PM if you fancy correcting the running numbers while you're at it (two of those are wrong, can't read the third on your photo). Good work by the way.
pmh_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 09:25   #170
Flying Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlrailblue View Post
yup... they need weathering...
Thanks Cowley and tj!
In fact we did discuss weathering the Windcutters way back when we first started restoring them (Also putting a false high floor and "Filling" with coal!) but decided that there was enough to do just to keep them running - and time would do the weathering!
pmh - PM sent.

Anyway - Re the bridge, I will be away at the beginning of September, so it would be great if other viewers could post up progress pics again.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:16   #171
mushroomchow

I'd be keen to help out on restoring the Windcutters, Flying Phil. Never done any restoration of rolling stock but keen to learn, even if it's just being let loose with a tin of paint like yourself yesterday. Drop me a PM when you get a chance.

I may take a trip down to Loughborough to take some pics of my own in your absence, though time is a valuable commodity these days for me so I can make no guarantees! I don't profess to know a thing about the engineering side of it either, so my commentary will be more along the lines of "look, the abutment is higher than in Phil's last picture!" than anything more technical

Last edited by mushroomchow; 17th August 2017 at 11:20.
mushroomchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:31   #172
XDM
On Moderation

Flying Phil- thanks for your excellent work on several topics! But no need to rust those windcutters, they look great as they are. They are railway treasure.
XDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 17:00   #173
Mogulb

GCR website update recently. The south abutment final lift is being concreted today and the northern one tomorrow. A lot to do before the bridge can go in but a great milestone.
Mogulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 22:42   #174
Flying Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulb View Post
GCR website update recently. The south abutment final lift is being concreted today and the northern one tomorrow. A lot to do before the bridge can go in but a great milestone.
Thanks Mogulb - also in the GCR video clip is a view of a part of the actual bridge deck under construction in Peterborough!
Old 19th August 2017, 09:22   #175
fflint

Hi Phil, Is there a bridge in place to take the railway over the canal I've seen on the google map. If there is, is the bridge Ok or will it have to be replaced?
Thanks again for your reports.
fflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 11:12   #176
Mogulb

The canal bridge is still in situ, but does need a bit of work.
Mogulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 15:04   #177
Flying Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Hi Phil, Is there a bridge in place to take the railway over the canal I've seen on the google map. If there is, is the bridge Ok or will it have to be replaced?
Thanks again for your reports.
Hi fflint, as mogulb has said the canal bridge is still in situ and is shown on page 1 post #9. It is two, single track, parallel spans. It has a fair bit of rust but relatively (!) easily lifted and repaired.
Old 19th August 2017, 15:27   #178
L+Y

Thanks again for all you do to keep us updated, Phil- this thread is fast becoming every bit as invaluable as the unofficial Bluebell extension blog was a few years ago.
L+Y is online now   Reply With Quote