RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Railway History & Nostalgia

Old 9th July 2017, 20:20   #31
R4_GRN
Romeo4

Going to motor show in Birmingham with two friends who were motor dealers, got entrance on traders day. Meeting at Kirkcaldy station for adjoining sleeper and opening bottles of wine for a pre sleep drink. All four bottles empty, train is stopped, where are we? Says someone we open curtains to see some football ground or was it rugby ground in outskirts of Edinburgh!

Great trip, breakfast at a cafe on leaving station forget where, superbe, great day visiting all the stands on trade day at motor show, not busy reps had time to speak to you, my friends owned Ferrari so even got onto their stand, invitation only, free hospitality from Ferrari is not to be refused.

One friend wanted pictures of new skoda which was being shown for first time, on leaving show friend took pictures of a car and female model played up to him and posed and pouted for him as you would pay a professional model a lot of money for. We get on train for return journey and friend states"I forget to take pictures of latest skoda" to which I had to say that the model he spent photographing was draped over the skoda, he had not noticed!
R4_GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th July 2017, 10:30   #32
Strat-tastic

Way back when we had regular church charter trains for days out. This time we went to Grange-Over-Sands.

The usual 47 into New Street, nothing too exciting there. Then they put on a roarer (an 82 I think) up to Carnforth. Lovely.

Next up... 40 133 I think. Anyway it was a 40! Being a young Brummie we didn't get to see many of them, never mind haulage; it was my first for haulage.

Same 40 and roarer back to Brum. Coming in there was a pair of 20s whistling away (20 044 & 070??).... No way, surely not. YES WAY!!!! All the way back to Northfield. A fantastic end to a great day out.

Oh and the ferry on Lake Windmere was nice too
Old 10th July 2017, 20:37   #33
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-tastic View Post
Way back when we had regular church charter trains for days out. This time we went to Grange-Over-Sands.

The usual 47 into New Street, nothing too exciting there. Then they put on a roarer (an 82 I think) up to Carnforth. Lovely.

Next up... 40 133 I think. Anyway it was a 40! Being a young Brummie we didn't get to see many of them, never mind haulage; it was my first for haulage.

Same 40 and roarer back to Brum. Coming in there was a pair of 20s whistling away (20 044 & 070??).... No way, surely not. YES WAY!!!! All the way back to Northfield. A fantastic end to a great day out.

That would certainly do me for a day out.
Cowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 23:22   #34
dubscottie

The many trips to Liverpool whenever my uncle fancied going to the football the next day. We were in Scotland!)

Had to decide on the Friday night before 10 and he got the train tickets for himself, my 2 cousins my brother and myself.

Good old family railcard! He paid full fare and we went for £1.

Back down to Inverkeithing to get the sleeper. Stayed on until Person (got out at Warrington once.. Never again.)

Slept in the waiting room till the first train to Liverpool and killed time until kick off.

Mad dash back to get the train home but I remember we missed one. Had to come home via Glasgow and got stranded in Edinburgh. BR sorted us with a taxi though.

Still have the tickets!
dubscottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 12:07   #35
Desiro360

I've got a few memories since my interest in railways began when I was a toddler. As there are a lot here are some memories of mine for you.

On one evening my Dad and I travelled from London Liverpool St to Ipswich via Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds. This was due to issues on the Great Eastern Main Line at the time. Highlight of that journey was travelling on one of Anglia Railways then new Class 170 units from Cambridge to Stowmarket due to engineering works between there and Ipswich. We got a rail replacement bus from Stowmarket to Ipswich on that evening.

During August 2008 my Dad and I travelled on the Eurostar for the first time to and from Paris. On the return journey from Paris Gare Du Nord to St Pancras I rememeber my Dad going to get me a drink from one of the buffet coaches. There was only a small cake left as everything else food and drink wise was sold out.

Another adventure during the same month was having an organized tour of London Euston Station with Virgin Trains. This had been arranged by Virgin after my Dad and I had wrote a letter to Sir Richard Branson. Highlight of this day was getting to explore a Pendolino including the cab.

I also remember the Class 86 loco's and Mk2 coaches that used to operate on the Great Eastern Main Line between Norwich and London.
Desiro360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 12:38   #36
adamskiodp

Getting into a warm Class 115 DMU Aylesbury - Marylebone and enjoying the 'bounce' of the seats, sticking my head out of the window and feeling the wind on my face. Also the smell and sound of a 1st generation DMU engine. I did this quite regularly from the age of 11, crossing London and onwards to Blackheath, unaccompanied. However, I would not allow my own children, now of similar age to do this journey alone
adamskiodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 13:54   #37
frodshamfella

Taking the train (emu slam door) from Bexleyheath to Dartford as a lad, when I was only allowed to travel by bus !
frodshamfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 01:52   #38
Harbornite
On Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-tastic View Post

What service was this? There weren't many local hauled stopping services on the line from Birmingham to Gloucester but I have seen pics of one that called at Longbridge in the early 1980s that was being hauled by a class 50.
Harbornite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 13:40   #39
brstd4260

Default Railway Walk

1965, watching the loco's on shed at Worcester from the famous "Railway Walk" vantage point, seeing, if I remember rightly Halls, GWR Panniers, the odd Black 5, at least one Jinty 0-6-0 and even a couple of BR Standards. Happy days!
brstd4260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 14:13   #40
Crewe Exile

Many a decent memory, one that stands out were 2 weeks in August 1989 when the Crewe - Derby route went over to class 20s - sprinter shortage (which saw many a decent haulage on the Crewe - Derby route). These 2 weeks were something else though. Numerous different pairs performed, from 0615 to 2300 hrs you could experience class 20 haulage - nowadays faced with a unit shortage I imagine they'd just turn the route over to coaches and cancel the train service.
Crewe Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 08:11   #41
70014IronDuke
Established Member

I could probably quote thousands, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I think the big difference between the railways of 1960, when I first got hooked, and 2010 is the loss of humanity brought on by technical change. On the steam railway (and even well into the 70s), the railway was peopled with, er, people with whom you could interract. Footplate crew, porters, signalmen, ticket collectors, even shed foremen. And it was often these incidents that stick in the memory.

Just one example: one day, probably 1965, I was on Basingstoke station and a West Country came in with a stopping train heading west. It was one of the early ones - not sure, it might have been 34010 Sidmouth. Anyway, I thought I'd seen it, but looking it up as the train was right away, I saw it was a cop, and immediately jumped in the air, kicking my legs together. This was just as the loco was passing me, and the driver laughed and shouted: do that again!
So I did - and I have this abiding image of the driver laughing some more as he chugged off into the misty morning towards Salisbury or Bournemouth.

Whether it stayed in his mind, of course I have no idea. And a trivial incident, for sure, but one little human interraction which would be impossible to replicate on the modern railway, methinks.
70014IronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 10:18   #42
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70014IronDuke View Post
I could probably quote thousands, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I think the big difference between the railways of 1960, when I first got hooked, and 2010 is the loss of humanity brought on by technical change. On the steam railway (and even well into the 70s), the railway was peopled with, er, people with whom you could interract. Footplate crew, porters, signalmen, ticket collectors, even shed foremen. And it was often these incidents that stick in the memory.

Just one example: one day, probably 1965, I was on Basingstoke station and a West Country came in with a stopping train heading west. It was one of the early ones - not sure, it might have been 34010 Sidmouth. Anyway, I thought I'd seen it, but looking it up as the train was right away, I saw it was a cop, and immediately jumped in the air, kicking my legs together. This was just as the loco was passing me, and the driver laughed and shouted: do that again!
So I did - and I have this abiding image of the driver laughing some more as he chugged off into the misty morning towards Salisbury or Bournemouth.

Whether it stayed in his mind, of course I have no idea. And a trivial incident, for sure, but one little human interraction which would be impossible to replicate on the modern railway, methinks.
Fantastic. I'd like to think that you still do that now when surprised by something?
Cowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 11:01   #43
70014IronDuke
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
Fantastic. I'd like to think that you still do that now when surprised by something?
he he he - I'd like to think so too.
In practice I'd probably fall in a heap and break some bone in the process
70014IronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 15:37   #44
Strat-tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbornite View Post
What service was this? There weren't many local hauled stopping services on the line from Birmingham to Gloucester but I have seen pics of one that called at Longbridge in the early 1980s that was being hauled by a class 50.
It was a private charter Northfield to Grange-over-Sands and back.
Old 17th July 2017, 17:46   #45
TT-ONR-NRN
V controversial 14 yr old

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarloRich View Post
As a very young child standing up in my bed, holding on to the windowsill peering out of the window at trains on the main line near our house in Durham. I was tiny and all the trains were massive blue beasts. I think they were all Deltics but they cant have been

A second one was my first train trip I can remember. I was with my dad ( and i must have been quite small) and we were going from Durham to York to see a relative. I remember this MASSIVE blue machine coming towards us (it was a deltic) making an incredible noise and then travelling really fast for what seemed like ages.

My dad died in January so it makes me both happy and sad to think about it.
I'm very sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.