RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Rail Photography > Photography Sites, Blogs & Videos > Photography Advice & Discussion

Old 21st April 2017, 12:50   #31
GB
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaB View Post
It's a lens in the same class with a similar sized sensor.
The HS50 EXR has a listed sensor size of 1/2" (6.4 x 4.8 mm). No where near the size of full frame (36 mm × 24 mm).
Old 21st April 2017, 15:29   #32
ash39

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert7111a View Post
The Canon 5D series would be well beyond the OP's budget unless he can source a second-hand bargain and know the shutter count from say, a MkII (for example) - the last thing he needs is to buy a second-hand one and having to replace a worn, well-used shutter at great expense.

Camera phones are ok if you don't need all the usual gubbins for creativity, although with my HTC, I can set shutter speed and aperture independently - but remember, camara phones have digital zooms (not optical) which will degrade picture quality. Remember too that camera phones have tiny sensors from which you can only get half-decent pictures in good light.
I wasn't saying the OP should go out and buy a 5d, just making the point that you can have a DSLR and just save it 'for best' if you don't want to lug it around all the time.

I don't know what the compact camera market is like now but with the gap between camera phones and bridge/DSLR being much smaller than it used to be, is there much of a market for them?
ash39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 18:04   #33
Kendalian

I use a Nikon D3200 and Nikon Coolpix S9900.

The 3200 is 24MP and does give me sharper pics, especially for 100mph+ shots!

The S9900 is very handy for video clips out of the train window! Tend to get a lot more reflections with the 3200. S9900 is of course much more portable, fits in my coat pocket...Also it uses the same charger as my S7 phone, which is handy on trips.

Overall, yes the 3200 takes better pics, but the S9900 is very practical...(and was about £130 cheaper)..close call.
Kendalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 18:46   #34
najaB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The HS50 EXR has a listed sensor size of 1/2" (6.4 x 4.8 mm). No where near the size of full frame (36 mm × 24 mm).
Sorry, it's not the HS50 EXR I was thinking of. I was pretty sure that Fujifim made a APS-H bridge camera (I remember thinking about buying one a year or so ago) but I can't find it now. It was something with a 2 in the name (ESR2?)
Old 21st April 2017, 20:14   #35
GB
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaB View Post
Sorry, it's not the HS50 EXR I was thinking of. I was pretty sure that Fujifim made a APS-H bridge camera (I remember thinking about buying one a year or so ago) but I can't find it now. It was something with a 2 in the name (ESR2?)
There's an xe2s but not sure if that's it.
Old 21st April 2017, 21:48   #36
robert7111a
GTR user
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
There's an xe2s but not sure if that's it.
It is a mirrorless camera (not a bridge camera) with an APS-C sensor. But perhaps najaB wasn't thinking of this one?
robert7111a is offline   Reply With Quote