RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 22:41   #511
southern442
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth950 View Post
I guess it could happen, in theory. Theresa May isn't immune to losing her seat just because she's PM. If the Lib Dems could overturn a big majority in Richmond they can do it again. (I'm being extremely optimistic here, but I seriously will not get through the next 6 weeks without hope and optimism!)
If I ever do become a senior politician then I would definitely be willing to talk to other party leaders to do something like this. Perhaps not the best move strategically but the publicity and scandal would be too good to miss
southern442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old Yesterday, 22:48   #512
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123 View Post

They're all very clustered these Bank Holidays, as you have noted. We'll have St Patrick's and St David's Days in March, Easter in the middle/somewhere around here, and St George's Day in April (on which note, Happy St George's Day England). That's five in the space of two months. Would it not make much more sense to try and spread them out over the course of the year?

It's an ill thought-out idea, capitalising on nationalist sentiment at the expense of common sense. I'm not sure we necessarily need more bank holidays - personally I find them an annoyance anyway because my in-hours workload ends up clustered in four days rather than five (and the restricted out-of-hours workload . But does he really expect Scotland to celebrate St George's Day, or for that matter England to celebrate St Andrew's Day? Would be more sensible to make each national day a holiday in its own country, and then come up with some other meaningful holidays. Why not copy India and have a National Science Day, for example?
Being English and having St George's Day (today, April 23rd) as my birthday you might expect me to approve of this, but, as you say, it's an ill thought-out proposal which would cluster even more Bank Holidays into the Spring quarter. This year we'd have had Bank Holidays on three successive weekends, which is nonsense. Personally, I'd be happy if the 23rd April could always coincide with Easter, just like it did in the year 2000 and a couple of other times in my lifetime, but wars have been fought on lesser things.
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19   #513
me123
Established Member

It has just occurred to me just how many holidays we'd have if St George's Day was a holiday this year. Last week was Easter, presumably today would be St George's Day (observed), and next Monday would be the May Day holiday. We'd have four four-day weeks in a row. Whilst there may be benefit from a rest day every now and then, surely the economy would suffer from having so many in such a short space of time?

Would it be possible for Easter to fall near St George's Day, and if so would we then have a five-day weekend? In 2038, Easter falls on the 25th of April, so St George's Day is on Good Friday. Ultimately, after the Easter weekend, we'd then presumably have St George's Day (observed) on the next Tuesday.
me123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46   #514
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern442 View Post
Another thing. This is just a hypothetical situation, but what might happen if the Lib Dems field a candidate in Maidenhead, and all the other parties back that candidate? Since they voted to remain, is there any sort of chance that , in this extremely unlikely scenario, they could kick the PM out of her own constituency?
If that happened the Conservatives would have to pick a new leader and if the Conservatives also got a majority, the new leader would be PM.
Old Today, 06:54   #515
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaholic View Post
Being English and having St George's Day (today, April 23rd) as my birthday you might expect me to approve of this, but, as you say, it's an ill thought-out proposal which would cluster even more Bank Holidays into the Spring quarter. This year we'd have had Bank Holidays on three successive weekends, which is nonsense. Personally, I'd be happy if the 23rd April could always coincide with Easter, just like it did in the year 2000 and a couple of other times in my lifetime, but wars have been fought on lesser things.
Unless the Pope decides to fix the day for Easter that won't happen. While the Anglican date for Easter could be changed I imagine they'll want to keep the same date as other western Christian churches.
Old Today, 07:16   #516
najaB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Unless the Pope decides to fix the day for Easter that won't happen. While the Anglican date for Easter could be changed I imagine they'll want to keep the same date as other western Christian churches.
That said, there is some merit in the idea of a fixed Spring Holiday that is not connected to the religious holiday of Easter (or Chocolate Bunny Day which is what it is to most people).