RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 15th February 2017, 00:15   #1
Tom C
Moans a lot

Default London to Ljubijana

Evening all

In November, I am looking at taking the train from London through to Ljubijana in Slovenia. Obviously, I know the timetable is subject to change over the months but it seems as if the route suggested by Seat 61 and bahn.de is to go via Munich and take the sleeper which arrives at a rather unpleasant time of the morning or stay in Munich overnight for a Eurocity train the next day.

I have noticed a MV415 train which runs from Zurich to Belgrade which goes through Ljubijana and not only arrives at a much more agreeable 08:11 but leaves Zurich at a reasonable 20:40.

Couple of questions a) does this run all year, b) does it have the usual sleeper facilities and c) are there any FIP restrictions to be aware of.

Cheers

TC
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 15th February 2017, 00:52   #2
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Evening all

In November, I am looking at taking the train from London through to Ljubijana in Slovenia. Obviously, I know the timetable is subject to change over the months

I have noticed a MV415 train which runs from Zurich to Belgrade

Couple of questions a) does this run all year, b) does it have the usual sleeper facilities

TC
Firstly, the timetable is not officially 'subject to change' as the European timetable now runs from December to December so if a train is in the timetables for this year it will run in November unless it is a summer dated train. Even if not published the timetable planners will have agreed the dates and schedules of cross-border trains)

So:
Yes the train from Zurich runs daily all year. It runs to Zagreb, not Belgrade.

It is now one of the new Austrian-operated 'Nightjet' services but also goes under the older designation 'EN' (Euronight)

The train is EN465 according to the Swiss paper timetable (but German railways Bahn.de timetable planner site calls it EN40465).

Should be a comfortable service with modern stock. Has sleepers, couchettes, bar buffet coach and 2nd class seats

The only problem is that it traverses some famous Austrian transalpine railway routes and you will miss all the spectacular engineering and Austrian Alps scenery...

Old 15th February 2017, 01:08   #3
Tom C
Moans a lot

Cheers Gordon

No idea where I got Belgrade from (shame it doesn't go through mind), must have been looking at an old schedule.

Those train numbers you quoted does show a consist on Wagonweb which shows the coaches from Zurich to Zagreb as Croatian sleepers which from experience are comfortable enough.

Cheers for the help!
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 07:27   #4
Groningen
Established Member

At Schwarzach-St.Veit there are wagons added that travel to Beograd.
Groningen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 21:37   #5
Established Member

If using a sleeper, I would opt for the Köln-München NJ (possibly going through to Wörgl for extra sleep and scenery, though it's a bit of a risky connection). It's a shame to miss the Tauern in daylight...
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 21:47   #6
kdoganorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30907 View Post
If using a sleeper, I would opt for the Köln-München NJ (possibly going through to Wörgl for extra sleep and scenery, though it's a bit of a risky connection). It's a shame to miss the Tauern in daylight...
Agreed. I did Salzburg to Ljubljana a few years back. Views were amazing.
kdoganorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 22:04   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoganorak View Post
Agreed. I did Salzburg to Ljubljana a few years back. Views were amazing.
Come to think of it, EC163 from Zurich at 0840 would be another option (I'm booked Feldkirch-Graz...) but it means 2 whole days travelling.
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 00:59   #8
Gordon

Worth remembering that the OP stated this would be in November, so lots of planning in order to accomodate a daylight journey in specific scenic zones might be scuppered anyway if the weather is poor (eg fog). Even the morning EC departure from Frankfurt/Stuttgart gets to the Tauern quite late in the afternoon not that long before sunset (sunset half 4 ish in November)
Old 16th February 2017, 14:14   #9
Groningen
Established Member

In November daylight in Austria is somewhere between 7.30 and 17.00 hours.
Old 16th February 2017, 16:26   #10
70014IronDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groningen View Post
In November daylight in Austria is somewhere between 7.30 and 17.00 hours.
And even that, depending on conditions, is pushing it. If an overcast day (you get a lot of them then) and towards the end of the month, I'd say you can say gute nacht to daylight by 16.00. I certainly remember photographing (or trying to) in late September and it was too dark even at that time of year by around 17.00. (This was in the days of 'proper' photography, with 125 asa Ilford FP4.) It was also smack on the then Czechoslovak border, right in the east.
70014IronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 20:38   #11
philjo
Established Member

When I went to Slovenia a couple of years ago I went Paris-Basel then spent a couple of days in Switzerland (in Lucerne) on the way out and also stayed 1 nightt at Innsbruck (Ibis entrance is in the station concourse).
I got a train about 08:30 ish next morning and changed at Schwarzach-St.Veit.
I was only going as far as Jessenice. Schwarzach-St.Veit to Villach is a very scenic section of line.
on the return journey I spent 2 nights in Saltzberg then return via Colgone & Brussels.

Last edited by philjo; 16th February 2017 at 20:39.
philjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 12:41   #12
Searle
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Cheers Gordon

No idea where I got Belgrade from (shame it doesn't go through mind), must have been looking at an old schedule.

Those train numbers you quoted does show a consist on Wagonweb which shows the coaches from Zurich to Zagreb as Croatian sleepers which from experience are comfortable enough.

Cheers for the help!
Fairly sure it travelled to Belgrade at least a couple of years ago, as I travelled on it from Zagreb - Belgrade. It loses all the sleeper cars at Zagreb and then carries on to Belgrade as a day train (with only 3 rammed coaches), so you're not a million miles out on your first assumption.
Old 17th February 2017, 18:38   #13
Groningen
Established Member

Currently the Wien - Budapest - Beograd and v.v. train (day and night) has 4 wagons.