RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Trip Planning & Reports

Old 11th January 2017, 19:22   #166
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
Nail on the head Mr 9.
I'd love to seen your face when that 56 came into view with a rake of coaches behind it
Ah mate, could see the train on the other side of the Mersey, as it came off the bridge I could tell something wasn't quite right, or rather was massively right. Ha ha. Had the front window to myself and I apologise but I had my head out of the window all the way to Crewe. Seems the gen had got around by Crewe but it got taken off there, can't remember what got put on the front. It was a real highlight of my bashing days, got some other good stuff but it was mostly off gen from mates, a pair of 20's from Huyton to Lime Street for example. It was a tight one making that after school from West Allerton.
Old 12th January 2017, 13:46   #167
AJM580

Quote:
Nail on the head Mr 9.
I'd love to seen your face when that 56 came into view with a rake of coaches behind it
It was probably the same as the spotter I saw at Telford when I arrived off the Cambrian Coast Express, Must have been the pair of Choppers on the front
AJM580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 16:06   #168
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM580 View Post
It was probably the same as the spotter I saw at Telford when I arrived off the Cambrian Coast Express, Must have been the pair of Choppers on the front
Wow. Did they work the whole diesel section?
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 16:22   #169
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Ha ha, you are probably right.
Old 12th January 2017, 17:05   #170
AJM580

Quote:
Wow. Did they work the whole diesel section?
It was 37429 from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury, where a 47 usually went forward to Wolverhampton, There must have been nothing else available as the 20s were taken from Coton Hill Yard to work forward from Shrewsbury. I would have gone all the way to Wolverhampton but I wanted to do the 37 again. The bail at Telford worked out as I landed on 47298 back.
AJM580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 19:45   #171
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
It was 37429 from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury, where a 47 usually went forward to Wolverhampton, There must have been nothing else available as the 20s were taken from Coton Hill Yard to work forward from Shrewsbury. I would have gone all the way to Wolverhampton but I wanted to do the 37 again. The bail at Telford worked out as I landed on 47298 back.
Brilliant. What a day. It was great not knowing what was going to turn up on a summer Saturday. A few of us went down to Paignton one day the in about 1987 for a ride on the steam railway and when we got back to Paignton we found 45107 sitting on the front of our train (they were banned west of Bristol by then), we had no idea that it would be there though which was all part of the fun of it back then.
Old 12th January 2017, 20:34   #172
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Brilliant. What a day. It was great not knowing what was going to turn up on a summer Saturday. A few of us went down to Paignton one day the in about 1987 for a ride on the steam railway and when we got back to Paignton we found 45107 sitting on the front of our train (they were banned west of Bristol by then), we had no idea that it would be there though which was all part of the fun of it back then.
I've heard that mentioned before, any idea why the ban was imposed?
Ash Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 22:21   #173
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Bridge View Post
I'm not sure and someone will probably know but I think it may have been to do with the problem of one breaking down far from their maintenance base where no parts would have been available, at Laira for instance.
Near the end they were very rare visitors but at least three made it down in 1988 their last year. I was on the last one along the sea wall which was 45113 on a rake of intercity liveried mk3s. I even got a droplight, although I only had a view of the cliffs
If it was an out and back trip to Paignton they'd occasionally send a Peak if they were short of locos but they wouldn't turn right and head up Dainton towards Plymouth as that was obviously a step too far!
Old 12th January 2017, 22:25   #174
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Those 1CoCo1's weighed twice as much as my house is my guess why they were banned.
Old 12th January 2017, 22:45   #175
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
I'm not sure and someone will probably know but I think it may have been to do with the problem of one breaking down far from their maintenance base where no parts would have been available, at Laira for instance.
Near the end they were very rare visitors but at least three made it down in 1988 their last year. I was on the last one along the sea wall which was 45113 on a rake of intercity liveried mk3s. I even got a droplight, although I only had a view of the cliffs
If it was an out and back trip to Paignton they'd occasionally send a Peak if they were short of locos but they wouldn't turn right and head up Dainton towards Plymouth as that was obviously a step too far!
Ah I see, so it was just something that was imposed towards the end of their careers as reliability dropped away? I have fond memories of having 146 from Birmingham New Street to Torquay and back on a Seaview Special back in 1972, cost just £2.00 from Manchester & Stockport, still got the ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
Those 1CoCo1's weighed twice as much as my house is my guess why they were banned.
Only twice as much? Blimey your house must be huge mate!
Old 12th January 2017, 23:55   #176
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Laira had an allocation of 46s up to the early 80s, I remember seeing them at Redruth when we lived down in Cornwall for a bit in about 1978/79.
Anyway chaps this'll make you chuckle too.

Photo one - A class 45 number daubed on the wall next to Kennaway tunnel (the one nearest Dawlish station), there's a class 46 one just out of shot too, they were painted by Peak bashers so I believe many years ago and have been there for as long as I remember.and that's quite a long time now.

Photo two - Me having my nappy changed on Dawlish station in 1973 while my Dad waits for the optimum moment to press the shutter (the Peak's certainly putting the power down and definitely isn't stopping at Dawlish today!). I can imagine him looking as innocent as possible as the train appeared out of the tunnel behind my mother...
I said my first ever word on Dawlish station apparently, unfortunately for my Mum the word was "train".
And that you see is why I have a bit of an affinity with Dawlish station. I mean what chance did I have really?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.JPG (207.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1199.jpg (107.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 13th January 2017, 00:09   #177
Ash Bridge
Established Member

I just love that second shot, and it looks like the Peak is also mildly amused! Btw, who does the honours these days, Mrs Cowley?
Old 13th January 2017, 00:23   #178
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
I just love that second shot, and it looks like the Peak is also mildly amused! Btw, who does the honours these days, Mrs Cowley?
Haha. Our kids nappy days are very much over but being a childminder she still gets to do the odd one at Dawlish.
Old 13th January 2017, 20:57   #179
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Ah I see, so it was just something that was imposed towards the end of their careers as reliability dropped away? I have fond memories of having 146 from Birmingham New Street to Torquay and back on a Seaview Special back in 1972, cost just £2.00 from Manchester & Stockport, still got the ticket!

Only twice as much? Blimey your house must be huge mate!
The staff at the fowler9 Mansion get given a map.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Laira had an allocation of 46s up to the early 80s, I remember seeing them at Redruth when we lived down in Cornwall for a bit in about 1978/79.
Anyway chaps this'll make you chuckle too.

Photo one - A class 45 number daubed on the wall next to Kennaway tunnel (the one nearest Dawlish station), there's a class 46 one just out of shot too, they were painted by Peak bashers so I believe many years ago and have been there for as long as I remember.and that's quite a long time now.

Photo two - Me having my nappy changed on Dawlish station in 1973 while my Dad waits for the optimum moment to press the shutter (the Peak's certainly putting the power down and definitely isn't stopping at Dawlish today!). I can imagine him looking as innocent as possible as the train appeared out of the tunnel behind my mother...
I said my first ever word on Dawlish station apparently, unfortunately for my Mum the word was "train".
And that you see is why I have a bit of an affinity with Dawlish station. I mean what chance did I have really?
Ha ha, brilliant mate.

Last edited by fowler9; 13th January 2017 at 20:57. Reason: Double post prevention system
fowler9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 21:08   #180
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
The staff at the fowler9 Mansion get given a map.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---.
If that's the case then if think we should start to address you as M'lord from now on then