RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables

Old 25th June 2017, 16:15   #1
PHILIPE
Established Member

Default GWR Shortage of Traincrew Weekends

There are mass cancellations over the GWR Network today due to a shortage of traincrew. Significant routes badly affected are Portsmouth Harbour, Severn Beach and others round Bristol and Gloucester area later in the day. Services in the Exeter area are affected with cancellations on Exmouth and Barnstaple routes. One route which has suffered very badly is between Bristol TM and Cardiff especially in view of great numbers attempting to travel to Cardiff for T20 Cricket between England and South Africa. Late Engineering Work due to a track defect at Patchway has resulted in an hourly service between the two locations and, due to running over one reversible line in both directions, the Portsmouth Harbour service is scheduled to run independently from Bristol TM. This arrangement is due to additional time built in for the SLW. Many passengers turned up at Bristol TM for the cricket and there was a frantic search to try and resource Coaches and taxies but coaches are in place to cover the cancellations to enable people to return following the end of the match. Of the trains that did run there were just 2 carriage formations which were insufficient and approx 50 passengers left behind at Filton Abbeywood.
The regular Sunday cancellations on the Paddington to Cheltenham route were, of course, taking place but there was a little relief today due to some of the South Wales to Paddington services (diverted via Gloucester due to track defect at Patchway) making special stops at Golden Valley stations.

Last edited by PHILIPE; 9th July 2017 at 20:37.
PHILIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 25th June 2017, 16:21   #2
MidnightFlyer
Veteran Member

I was at Bristol Temple Meads this morning. The 1103 to Cardiff Central was formed of a single 150, with it wedged solid and punters waiting on the platform from around 1050: when it did leave, approximately 40 or more were left behind. The 1303 was 2 x 153, which looked to be F&S but not to the extent the 1103 was about 10 minutes before departure. The 1203 was shown as cancelled shortly after the 1103 departed.
MidnightFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 17:56   #3
davetheguard

I was at Exeter Central this morning catching a Paignton train that luckily WAS running. In the other direction -to Exmouth- the 09.44, 10.17, & 11.22 were all cancelled, leaving a single train at 10.48 running.

No reason was announced, but reading between the lines it sounded like a traincrew shortage; but looking at realtime trains this afternoon it says "planning error"

Whatever the reason, needless to say, a lot of people inconvenienced.
davetheguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 18:59   #4
Mag_seven
Established Member

And what will get done about it - no doubt nothing as usual!
Mag_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 19:10   #5
SpacePhoenix
Established Member

Are TOCs relying on train crew working OT or rest days more than they used to?
SpacePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 19:29   #6
PHILIPE
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheguard View Post
I was at Exeter Central this morning catching a Paignton train that luckily WAS running. In the other direction -to Exmouth- the 09.44, 10.17, & 11.22 were all cancelled, leaving a single train at 10.48 running.

No reason was announced, but reading between the lines it sounded like a traincrew shortage; but looking at realtime trains this afternoon it says "planning error"

Whatever the reason, needless to say, a lot of people inconvenienced.
The GWR Journey Check and NRE says shortage of train crew, but, could be have been a shortage created by a Plannong error.
Old 25th June 2017, 19:29   #7
father_jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFlyer View Post
I was at Bristol Temple Meads this morning. The 1103 to Cardiff Central was formed of a single 150, with it wedged solid and punters waiting on the platform from around 1050: when it did leave, approximately 40 or more were left behind. The 1303 was 2 x 153, which looked to be F&S but not to the extent the 1103 was about 10 minutes before departure. The 1203 was shown as cancelled shortly after the 1103 departed.
A 150 was added to the 1303, 1323 to SVB was due to be caped so no point in having a unit sitting idle
father_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 19:36   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILIPE View Post
The GWR Journey Check and NRE says shortage of train crew, but, could be have been a shortage created by a Plannong error.
No, whoever did the translations at RTT has put the rostering/uncovered one to planning for some reason. They seem to have a few others that dig at planning...
87015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 20:21   #9
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheguard View Post
Realtimetrains isn't an official/accredited site, so I wouldn't consider it to be authoritative and in the event of a different source giving different information, I'd trust the other source. It's told me I've arrived in Platform 2 at Edinburgh Waverley when we actually went through 2 and crossed into 20, if I recall correctly.
Old 25th June 2017, 20:23   #10
PeterY

Is it my imagination but is it now becoming a bit of a lottery traveling by train at the weekends? Last weekend, it was Greater Anglia turn, shortage of train crew.
PeterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 20:39   #11
NX

There is a ballot whether to accept a pay offer at the moment, so maybe BBQ day to make feelings known ?
NX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 20:52   #12
headshot119
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Realtimetrains isn't an official/accredited site, so I wouldn't consider it to be authoritative and in the event of a different source giving different information, I'd trust the other source. It's told me I've arrived in Platform 2 at Edinburgh Waverley when we actually went through 2 and crossed into 20, if I recall correctly.
It uses the same open data provided by network rail as everyone else does, data which is pulled from official sources. Your dislike of the owner doesn't change that.
Old 25th June 2017, 21:30   #13
PHILIPE
Established Member

GWR still providing 2 Car trains to convey cricket passengers back from Cardiff to Bristol TM this evening and passengers earlier left behind at Newport. Aggravated by cancellations. GWR twitter say all units in service but when trains between Bristol and Taunton and Severn Beach route cancelled, this is difficult to believe.
Old 25th June 2017, 21:35   #14
455driver
On Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Pee View Post
There is a ballot whether to accept a pay offer at the moment, so maybe BBQ day to make feelings known ?
Can you provide anything to back up that assumption?

Oh and the payrise has been rejected by ASLEF, the drivers didnt get a chance to vote on it, because of they had I think it would have been accepted!

Nice try at the anti staff sentiment though.

Signed A GWR Driver!
455driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 21:37   #15
455driver
On Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILIPE View Post
GWR still providing 2 Car trains to convey cricket passengers back from Cardiff to Bristol TM this evening and passengers earlier left behind at Newport. Aggravated by cancellations. GWR twitter say all units in service but when trains between Bristol and Taunton and Severn Beach route cancelled, this is difficult to believe.
Those trains will pick up their booked workings later in the day, if they send them to Cardiff what will work the (now uncovered) trips?
455driver is offline   Reply With Quote