RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to visit us on Facebook

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 5th October 2008, 21:17   #1
spoony
Member
 
spoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Light metro
Posts: 479
Default The Leamside line

Currently mothballed and running between Pelaw and south Durham. Does anyone think there may be any merits to re opening it? Cant admit to knowing much about it myself but would like to think it could be put to some use. Seems a shame as I travel past it most days and its all overgrown
spoony is offline  
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 5th October 2008, 21:22   #2
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
Currently mothballed and running between Pelaw and south Durham. Does anyone think there may be any merits to re opening it? Cant admit to knowing much about it myself but would like to think it could be put to some use. Seems a shame as I travel past it most days and its all overgrown
There is plenty of talk about it, it's even mentioned in the latest Network Rail report that it could be used for freight and passenger diversions. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it will be reopened.

To tell you the truth, around 3 weeks ago, Network Rail were working on the signalling near Tursdale, maybe looking into the current state.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 21:24   #3
spoony
Member
 
spoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Light metro
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
There is plenty of talk about it, it's even mentioned in the latest Network Rail report that it could be used for freight and passenger diversions. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it will be reopened.

To tell you the truth, around 3 weeks ago, Network Rail were working on the signalling near Tursdale, maybe looking into the current state.
Really thats good news Although they will need to replace the track that was stolen a few years back
spoony is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 21:28   #4
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
Really thats good news Although they will need to replace the track that was stolen a few years back
Well yeah, but that is something that has been done many times. The report is quite good, I originally saw it linked from here but I then got it from the Network Rail website.

If you are interested in the ECML in general and the surrounding branches then there is loads of interesting info.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:03   #5
spoony
Member
 
spoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Light metro
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
Well yeah, but that is something that has been done many times. The report is quite good, I originally saw it linked from here but I then got it from the Network Rail website.

If you are interested in the ECML in general and the surrounding branches then there is loads of interesting info.
I shall have a look thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
I shall have a look thanks
I got a bit excited reading that report. I read about the "new" Sunderland-Darlington proposal (A service I would use regularly) but realised it was only a proposal and was never going to happen

Last edited by spoony; 5th October 2008 at 22:03. Reason: Double post prevention system
spoony is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:09   #6
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
I shall have a look thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I got a bit excited reading that report. I read about the "new" Sunderland-Darlington proposal (A service I would use regularly) but realised it was only a proposal and was never going to happen
At least you found the bloody thing! Post the link or send me a PM, I cannot find what I was looking at anywhere.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:34   #7
djw1981
Established Member
 
djw1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,644
Default

Diverting some of the York-Newcastle services that way (especially non stop ones0 would allow more stopping (local) services to use the existing ECML - a 4tph Durham-Newcastle train may help relieve some of the road pressure on A690/A1. This coudl include the current NXEC / XC services as part of that pattern, since to remove the stop would be to do what EMT have done to Bedford, and would mean passengers had to change at Newcastle.

The problem is that to do that Leamside would need to be 125mph and electrified (unless only HST's / Voyagers) were sent that way.
__________________
http://dr-dyb.blogspot.com
djw1981 is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:38   #8
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1981 View Post
Diverting some of the York-Newcastle services that way (especially non stop ones0 would allow more stopping (local) services to use the existing ECML - a 4tph Durham-Newcastle train may help relieve some of the road pressure on A690/A1. This coudl include the current NXEC / XC services as part of that pattern, since to remove the stop would be to do what EMT have done to Bedford, and would mean passengers had to change at Newcastle.

The problem is that to do that Leamside would need to be 125mph and electrified (unless only HST's / Voyagers) were sent that way.
So that leaves a good argument for freight then, I see many freights put in the loop north of Durham for a while but then they sometimes seem to be let out a bit early, in front of FTPE services for example. Diverting them via the leamside would sort that out.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:39   #9
spoony
Member
 
spoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Light metro
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
At least you found the bloody thing! Post the link or send me a PM, I cannot find what I was looking at anywhere.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...n%20Strategies

Not an easy thing to find (assuming that its the correct one)
spoony is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:45   #10
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...n%20Strategies

Not an easy thing to find (assuming that its the correct one)
Thats the one mate, cheers.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 22:53   #11
william
Established Member
 
william's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jul 2007
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,212
Default re

Quote:
To tell you the truth, around 3 weeks ago, Network Rail were working on the signalling near Tursdale, maybe looking into the current state.
__________________
There is a proposal to create a large freight terminal at Tursdale, with rail access and hence the need for the new A1 (M) A181/A19 link road (soon to be opened).
There was talk a year or so ago of network rail ripping up the entire leamside route, much to the opposition of local residents/transport groups, although in defence, Network Rail said that this would not affect plans to reopen the line and the entire track would need to be replaced anyway (the locals weren't convinced!).

As for a case for reopening....I believe yes, a strong one. With the ECML approaching capacity, the leamside line would undoubtedly provide a strategically important relief line (for freight at least), as well as scope for decreasing journey times between Tyneside and Teesside, via leamside and the Stillington route, at the same time providing much needed, improved access to the North Easts two major conurbations from towns/ villages along the route.

Unfortunately our local authorities seem to favour the road.

Last edited by william; 5th October 2008 at 23:04.
william is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 23:01   #12
djw1981
Established Member
 
djw1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,644
Default

Is there much freight on ECML, or does a lot (during the day) go round the coast? In which case, diverting the freight will free more paths for GC and Northern around the coast without the need for re-signalling. I know the coast is closed at noight so freight is obviously down ECML then.
__________________
http://dr-dyb.blogspot.com
djw1981 is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 23:05   #13
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1981 View Post
Is there much freight on ECML, or does a lot (during the day) go round the coast? In which case, diverting the freight will free more paths for GC and Northern around the coast without the need for re-signalling. I know the coast is closed at noight so freight is obviously down ECML then.
AFAIK most freight still goes via the ECML due to the Tyne Yard. Otherwise it would have to go north for a while and clog up the King Edward approach to Newcastle, it's bad enough at 30mph. Then there s the Metro which shares its lines from Pelaw to Sunderland.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 23:10   #14
william
Established Member
 
william's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jul 2007
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,212
Default

no mostly ECML i believe. The durham coast line will suffer from capacity problems at a guess from sharing access with metro services ..
the ecml is very busy with freight. i think most teesside bound freight travels via ecml and the stillington line. theres very little on the durham coast now since the pits closed, and im not even sure the hartlepool-sellafield nuclear train runs anymore? this used to travel at night.
william is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 23:13   #15
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
no mostly ECML i believe. The durham coast line will suffer from capacity problems at a guess from sharing access with metro services ..
the ecml is very busy with freight. i think most teesside bound freight travels via ecml and the stillington line. theres very little on the durham coast now since the pits closed, and im not even sure the hartlepool-sellafield nuclear train runs anymore? this used to travel at night.
Yeah, pretty sure that now goes by road in an unmarked container for anonymity although it's not that anonymous because people know about it!
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2014 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:02.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright © 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2014