RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to visit us on Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2008, 21:17   #1
spoony

Location: Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Light metro
Default The Leamside line

Currently mothballed and running between Pelaw and south Durham. Does anyone think there may be any merits to re opening it? Cant admit to knowing much about it myself but would like to think it could be put to some use. Seems a shame as I travel past it most days and its all overgrown
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 5th October 2008, 21:22   #2
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
Currently mothballed and running between Pelaw and south Durham. Does anyone think there may be any merits to re opening it? Cant admit to knowing much about it myself but would like to think it could be put to some use. Seems a shame as I travel past it most days and its all overgrown
There is plenty of talk about it, it's even mentioned in the latest Network Rail report that it could be used for freight and passenger diversions. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it will be reopened.

To tell you the truth, around 3 weeks ago, Network Rail were working on the signalling near Tursdale, maybe looking into the current state.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:24   #3
spoony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
There is plenty of talk about it, it's even mentioned in the latest Network Rail report that it could be used for freight and passenger diversions. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it will be reopened.

To tell you the truth, around 3 weeks ago, Network Rail were working on the signalling near Tursdale, maybe looking into the current state.
Really thats good news Although they will need to replace the track that was stolen a few years back
Old 5th October 2008, 21:28   #4
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
Really thats good news Although they will need to replace the track that was stolen a few years back
Well yeah, but that is something that has been done many times. The report is quite good, I originally saw it linked from here but I then got it from the Network Rail website.

If you are interested in the ECML in general and the surrounding branches then there is loads of interesting info.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:03   #5
spoony

Quote:
Well yeah, but that is something that has been done many times. The report is quite good, I originally saw it linked from here but I then got it from the Network Rail website.

If you are interested in the ECML in general and the surrounding branches then there is loads of interesting info.
I shall have a look thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
I got a bit excited reading that report. I read about the "new" Sunderland-Darlington proposal (A service I would use regularly) but realised it was only a proposal and was never going to happen

Last edited by spoony; 5th October 2008 at 22:03. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 5th October 2008, 22:09   #6
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I got a bit excited reading that report. I read about the "new" Sunderland-Darlington proposal (A service I would use regularly) but realised it was only a proposal and was never going to happen
At least you found the bloody thing! Post the link or send me a PM, I cannot find what I was looking at anywhere.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:34   #7
djw1981
Established Member

Diverting some of the York-Newcastle services that way (especially non stop ones0 would allow more stopping (local) services to use the existing ECML - a 4tph Durham-Newcastle train may help relieve some of the road pressure on A690/A1. This coudl include the current NXEC / XC services as part of that pattern, since to remove the stop would be to do what EMT have done to Bedford, and would mean passengers had to change at Newcastle.

The problem is that to do that Leamside would need to be 125mph and electrified (unless only HST's / Voyagers) were sent that way.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:38   #8
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1981 View Post
Diverting some of the York-Newcastle services that way (especially non stop ones0 would allow more stopping (local) services to use the existing ECML - a 4tph Durham-Newcastle train may help relieve some of the road pressure on A690/A1. This coudl include the current NXEC / XC services as part of that pattern, since to remove the stop would be to do what EMT have done to Bedford, and would mean passengers had to change at Newcastle.

The problem is that to do that Leamside would need to be 125mph and electrified (unless only HST's / Voyagers) were sent that way.
So that leaves a good argument for freight then, I see many freights put in the loop north of Durham for a while but then they sometimes seem to be let out a bit early, in front of FTPE services for example. Diverting them via the leamside would sort that out.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:39   #9
spoony

Quote:
At least you found the bloody thing! Post the link or send me a PM, I cannot find what I was looking at anywhere.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...n%20Strategies

Not an easy thing to find (assuming that its the correct one)
Old 5th October 2008, 22:45   #10
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...n%20Strategies

Not an easy thing to find (assuming that its the correct one)
Thats the one mate, cheers.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:53   #11
william
Established Member

Default re

Quote:
There was talk a year or so ago of network rail ripping up the entire leamside route, much to the opposition of local residents/transport groups, although in defence, Network Rail said that this would not affect plans to reopen the line and the entire track would need to be replaced anyway (the locals weren't convinced!).

As for a case for reopening....I believe yes, a strong one. With the ECML approaching capacity, the leamside line would undoubtedly provide a strategically important relief line (for freight at least), as well as scope for decreasing journey times between Tyneside and Teesside, via leamside and the Stillington route, at the same time providing much needed, improved access to the North Easts two major conurbations from towns/ villages along the route.

Unfortunately our local authorities seem to favour the road.

Last edited by william; 5th October 2008 at 23:04.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:01   #12
djw1981
Established Member

Is there much freight on ECML, or does a lot (during the day) go round the coast? In which case, diverting the freight will free more paths for GC and Northern around the coast without the need for re-signalling. I know the coast is closed at noight so freight is obviously down ECML then.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:05   #13
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1981 View Post
Is there much freight on ECML, or does a lot (during the day) go round the coast? In which case, diverting the freight will free more paths for GC and Northern around the coast without the need for re-signalling. I know the coast is closed at noight so freight is obviously down ECML then.
AFAIK most freight still goes via the ECML due to the Tyne Yard. Otherwise it would have to go north for a while and clog up the King Edward approach to Newcastle, it's bad enough at 30mph. Then there s the Metro which shares its lines from Pelaw to Sunderland.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:10   #14
william
Established Member

no mostly ECML i believe. The durham coast line will suffer from capacity problems at a guess from sharing access with metro services ..
the ecml is very busy with freight. i think most teesside bound freight travels via ecml and the stillington line. theres very little on the durham coast now since the pits closed, and im not even sure the hartlepool-sellafield nuclear train runs anymore? this used to travel at night.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:13   #15
Darandio
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
no mostly ECML i believe. The durham coast line will suffer from capacity problems at a guess from sharing access with metro services ..
the ecml is very busy with freight. i think most teesside bound freight travels via ecml and the stillington line. theres very little on the durham coast now since the pits closed, and im not even sure the hartlepool-sellafield nuclear train runs anymore? this used to travel at night.
Yeah, pretty sure that now goes by road in an unmarked container for anonymity although it's not that anonymous because people know about it!