RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2009, 11:09   #1
Cybi

Default Ilford Depot

Hi all!
This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm in the wromg place.
I'm in the selection process for a depot drivers job at Ilford for NXEA. I've succesfully completed six psychometric tests and will (at some stage) go for a managers interview.
I would like some info on day to day operations, rostering, duties start/finish etc for the interview.
Can anyone assist, I was wondering if an informal visit to Ilford would be fruitful to chat with drivers.
Your thoughts and assistance would be appreciated.
Chris
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 4th February 2009, 17:42   #2
O L Leigh
In the cab with the paper
Established Member

I'm on the West Anglia side of NXEA, so I can't help much.

However, the depot driver's job involves little in the way of actual driving. Sure you'll be shunting, washing and prepping trains, but you'll also be standing around outside pulling hand points and directing operations under the supervision of the "yardie". What driving you do will only be within the confines of the depot and will never exceed 5mph.

Also don't be fooled by any talk of being a mainline driver within any stated timescale. Such things depend entirely on vacancies coming up within the mainline "links", so you could be stuck on the ground for a significant period of time. That said, being in the company does make it easier to apply for mainline positions at other depots when they come up.

O L Leigh
Old 4th February 2009, 18:15   #3
AlexS
Established Member

Shouldn't worry too much about mainline driving anyway - I'd say enjoy the job you've got while you do it, you can have as much fun working on the ground as speeding along on a non stop but boring express train.

Shouldn't be too difficult on a unit depot anyway!
Old 4th February 2009, 22:54   #4
O L Leigh
Established Member

Yes, I suppose there is that. If it's what you enjoy doing then fair play to you.

It's just that starting as a depot driver is a recognised way of getting into the mainline grade and I wanted to sound a note of caution about the likely timescale.

O L Leigh
Old 4th February 2009, 23:51   #5
AlexS
Established Member

Oh yes, it's definately worth bearing in mind - and I do appreciate that you were trying to make clear that just because the word driver is involved that doesn't mean the jobs are anything like each other.
Old 5th February 2009, 05:28   #6
Cybi

Thanks for that guys, if anyone working in or out of Ilford could give me a bit of info as well that would be good; or even Liverpool Street, I suppose ...
Old 7th April 2009, 01:41   #7
JammyJames08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybi View Post
Thanks for that guys, if anyone working in or out of Ilford could give me a bit of info as well that would be good; or even Liverpool Street, I suppose ...
Did you get the job?
Old 18th April 2009, 12:00   #8
Pride of the Fleet

Alex,

How did you get on? I know there's been a hold put on courses, but then again one part of life on the railway is the Mighty Rumour Mill!

Bit of background, I've just spent the best part of the last 9 months becoming a Depot Driver at Ilford. It's been bloody hard, but wouldn't change if for the world.

I of course still have aspirations of joining OL Leighs world but he does make valid points. I'm not looking at being able to go mainline training for AT LEAST 2 years. That's if I continue to pass my monthly assessments & don't do anything stupid in the meantime! That said, if you keep your head down, work hard, even being 'just' a Depot Driver is very rewarding & as secure a job as you are going to get at the moment. But it's a long time to put up with sunburn/soakings/nights/days/afternoons/evenings etc if all you want to do is experience speeds over 5mph!

Let me know how you got on & I'll see if I can help in any way, shifts allowing!!!

Scoggy

p.s. OL Leigh, I have probably sent you down the wrong road at some point on your visits to the yard!
Old 22nd April 2009, 00:07   #9
O L Leigh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoggy View Post
OL Leigh, I have probably sent you down the wrong road at some point on your visits to the yard!
Not yet. I'd have stopped and bitched if you had.

To be fair I don't get down to Ilford all that often. In fact I'm struggling to remember the last time I did. I'm at Bishops Stortford not Chingford and don't do nights, so my visits tend to be very few and far between. That's not to say that we haven't passed the time of day while waiting the road with a pair of Cl317's at the London end without realising.

O L Leigh
Old 18th August 2009, 12:15   #10
Delta 65

Default Ilford Depot

Hi Cybi.

I've worked at Ilford Depot for about seven years now (about 18 months as Depot Driver and then mainline from then on). I'd be happy to give you any info that I can. I notice that your original post was quite a while ago. Have you already started at Ilford?
Old 14th September 2009, 23:27   #11
slick
Driver

Hi all I'd also like to share my account of my experience of this role. I originally put in for depot driver at ilford for "one" railway almost 2 years ago, then about 7 months after i was invited for the tests. I was told then that Id be working toward a chingford depot position due to my proximity to that depot. Then I was told recruitment was put on hold until september 2009 and there maybe a course coming up. Then finally I had a drivers interview and to my shock the position was for mainline not depot! Ive now been offered the position and have my medical next week! To say im over the moon is an understatement!

Has anyone else gone for say a depot position and been "bumped" up to a mainline position?
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:43   #12
robby p
GA Driver

Slick have they offered you a position at chingford or Ilford? If it's chingford there is no such thing as a depot driver as the same on the west anglia side and once you pass rules and traction you will be out on the road driving trains upto 90mph! I'm based at Bishops Stortford and have just gone through stratford and am currently out with my minder clocking up the hours, so if you need any help or wanna know anything before you start or during training send us a message, good luck mate!
Old 26th September 2009, 00:25   #13
slick
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby p View Post
Slick have they offered you a position at chingford or Ilford? If it's chingford there is no such thing as a depot driver as the same on the west anglia side and once you pass rules and traction you will be out on the road driving trains upto 90mph! I'm based at Bishops Stortford and have just gone through stratford and am currently out with my minder clocking up the hours, so if you need any help or wanna know anything before you start or during training send us a message, good luck mate!

Yes indeed as you stated my offer was changed from depot driver at ilford to mainline based at chingford. According to what I was told by the two driver managers at my interview, at that depot its "inner suburban" for the most part, 315's covering Chingford, Enfield Town etc routes, and much later an extention to the course to learn 317's on the cambridge routes. Im sure you'll hear from me soon! and thanks!

Last edited by slick; 26th September 2009 at 03:29.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:28   #14
Topgun
NR Signaller

Hi,

I've recently applied for trainee depot driver at Ilford. The one problem I have is accommodation. I live in Lincolnshire and if successful would have to find somewhere cheap to live. Any ideas? Seems to be around 70 per week for just a room!!
Old 31st October 2009, 18:31   #15
JammyJames08

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Hi,

I've recently applied for trainee depot driver at Ilford. The one problem I have is accommodation. I live in Lincolnshire and if successful would have to find somewhere cheap to live. Any ideas? Seems to be around 70 per week for just a room!!
they won't give you a job, sorry.
Closed Thread