Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2009, 20:01   #76
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Salopian View Post
From the document:

"Option D17.5 Electrify Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury. Extend Euston to Wolverhampton services to Shrewsbury and run Mid and North Wales services to Shrewsbury instead of Birmingham."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Option D17.5: Overhead AC electrification from Oxley Junction. to Shrewsbury. This appraisal assumes the following service pattern change: Extension of hourly West Coast Euston to Wolverhampton services through to Shrewsbury. Conversion of hourly Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury services to electric. The services from Birmingham International to Machynlleth (for the Cambrian Coast) and North Wales, which together form an hourly Birmingham to Shrewsbury service, would start/terminate at Shrewsbury."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury (allowing conversion of the local Birmingham to Shrewsbury service and potentially enabling a restructuring of services which would provide through trains from London Euston to Shrewsbury and releasing capacity on the Birmingham International to Wolverhampton corridor)."

This would herald the (partial) restoration of Shrewsbury's former, and true, status on the rail network!!
That sounds excellent!

It'd hopefully free up a bit of space at Wolverhampton, since the "stoppers" from Birmingham could then be extended to (say) Telford, meaning nothing reversing at Wolverhampton.

Hope it happens.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 18th May 2009, 22:00   #77
Proud Salopian
from the forgotten county

The "stoppers" I'd imagine would start/terminate at Wellington's platform 3, calling at both Telford Central and Oakengates.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:19   #78
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Salopian View Post
The "stoppers" I'd imagine would start/terminate at Wellington's platform 3, calling at both Telford Central and Oakengates.
Thanks for explaining. I've a copy of Quail somewhere, but couldn't remember where had capacity to turn back at. Quite a big boost for the line
Old 18th May 2009, 23:11   #79
Waverley125

with regard to the west of england main line, it would be DC extended all the way through, with the line upgraded back to double track for maximum 110mph running. This would provide an alternate route to Exeter (if, for instance, there was a major problem at Reading) while also providing important links between the south West & South central coast. It would also give Yeovil & Salisbury a much better link to London than they currently recieve.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:24   #80
dylan_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post
That sounds excellent!
Hmm...I'm not convinced about terminating ALL trains from Wales at a provincial hub like Shrewsbury! Put it this way I think there is more demand for services from North and Mid Wales to continue to Birmingham than there is for an hourly Pendolino to Shrewsbury ot a 323 from WM to Telford!

Is the "D" category of this suggetsion an indication of priority? If so I'm guessing it's quite far down the list thankfully.

Old 19th May 2009, 15:19   #81
Mystic Force

The report is quite clear that tha west of england route would be AC. Doubling it and making it 110 mph would make sense however making sense isn't always the way things actually work. So is there any specific information on other planned improvements I know that dynamic loops are going to be installed on the single track section.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:58   #82
The Planner
Established Member

Dynamic loops are just a way of saving cash and still restrict capacity as you have to base the timetable around the infrastructure, there is little scope for change.
Old 24th May 2009, 11:17   #83
jrhilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroland View Post
‘We expect an announcement on electrification this summer,' says Iain Coucher, chief executive of Network Rail. In confident mood Iain Coucher, Simon Kirby and Robin Gisby have been readying the industry to move from an operations and maintenance regime to an era of sustained investment in an expanded, high capacity railway. ‘Control Period Three (just gone) was all about fixing the railway,' says Coucher, speaking at a press briefing in the City of London. Going on to stress that an ambitious future will see the industry making rail a much bigger part of society, an upbeat Coucher continued, ‘We have an investment programme other industries would die for.' Electrification of arterial main lines in the west and the midlands along with High Speed Two will further boost the fortunes of Britain's top performing transport industry. Moreover the recession seems not to unduly worry senior rail chiefs. ‘We are getting people with much higher qualifications entering the industry, some are even taking a mortgage holiday for a year to train and convert to railway project and engineering delivery,' says Simon Kirby, Network Rail's director of infrastructure investment. Network Rail confidently expects government go ahead for electrification of the Great Western Main Line and the Midland Main Line - see feature centre page spread - this summer. Scotland is set for further electrification under the aegis of Transport Scotland. Rail chiefs have been keen to favourably compare Britain's growing industry with systems abroad and other transport modes. ‘Kent is the size of Switzerland,' says Network Rail's operations director, Robin Gisby and, ‘London Liverpool Street regularly delivers more passengers than Heathrow.' Both comparisons illustrate the sheer scale of Britain's new rail industry. Prospects for rail look good. ‘We are starting to build the south east of England into a 12-car operation. We are moving very large volumes of people. Demand is huge. No other industry faces such relentless growth,' says Gisby. The good news comes as Network Rail draws up plans to deliver the new railway during CP4. Meanwhile construction and project engineers are keen to join Britain's premier recession-busting industry. Most are combing RailStaff, railwaypeople.com and the rail engineer for the best jobs going on the fastest growing railway in Europe.

http://www.railwaypeople.com/rail-ne...mmer-1693.html
Very good news! Though this announcement is about 50 years too late if you ask me! This all should have been done years ago!
Closed Thread