RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2010, 13:07   #1
robertclark125
Established Member

Default Glenvale Transport (GTL) - your memories

2010 will mark five years since Glenvale Transport sold out to Stagecoach, and became Stagecoach Merseyside. GTL was formed as a result of the Competition Commission requirement that Arriva sell off Gillmoss depot, when it acquired MTL holdings, and merged it with their own North western oeprations.

So what are your memories, feelings, experiences, and opinions of Glenvale? Were the better than Arriva, or worse?
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 12th January 2010, 15:57   #2
mbonwick
Established Member

I can't say I've ever experienced GTL, but from what I heard they were a disaster.
Poor routes, terrible vehicles, rude staff....
Old 12th January 2010, 22:29   #3
KendalKing

I never experience GTL as a driver or passenger. But from what i can remember it become the dumping ground for redundant former London Buses Titans, at times their depot looked more like a bus scrapyard, then a bus depot.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:32   #4
mbonwick
Established Member

Just thought I'd also mention that a lot of ex-GTL Titans and B6 ended up in the corner of Stagecoach North West's Morecambe depot, where they were completely stripped of parts for spares.

And when I say stripped, I mean stripped. Not 1 left with an engine or seats. Many left with no exterior panels.
The reason Morecambe was chosen for this work over Lillyhall was because at the time Morecambe had the NW's largest fleet of B6s and Titans.
Old 15th January 2010, 23:58   #5
driver9000
Mystery Excursion
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Just thought I'd also mention that a lot of ex-GTL Titans and B6 ended up in the corner of Stagecoach North West's Morecambe depot, where they were completely stripped of parts for spares.

And when I say stripped, I mean stripped. Not 1 left with an engine or seats. Many left with no exterior panels.
The reason Morecambe was chosen for this work over Lillyhall was because at the time Morecambe had the NW's largest fleet of B6s and Titans.
At least one Titan left as a virtual skeleton parts of the bus were framework only with no panelling at all!

Old 16th January 2010, 13:57   #6
mbonwick
Established Member

Shows how desperate Morecambe were for parts! I keep wondering how much those Titans saved Stagecoach in spares though.....
Old 8th February 2010, 14:10   #7
robertclark125
Established Member

During its short independent existence, Glenvale also boguht CMT buses of Aintree. Do you all think that CMT's passengers got a better or worse deal under Glenvale?

Ironically, during the CC investigation into the MTL takeover by Arriva, CMT was found to be the only major competitor to Arriva, giving the reason why Gillmoss had to be sold.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:48   #8
Tom C
Moans a lot

I done 5 trips to Liverpool just to do GTL.

For anyone who loved Titans and Metro's (especially London ones) this was your Mecca and I spent many, many happy days (and one or two nights) photoing and riding one of the strangest, scruffiest companies I have ever seen but you know I would have GTL back in an instant even with the battered Titans and Metro's than Stagecoach and indeed any of the low floor cack that passes for buses now.

Sad day when GTL sold out to Stagecoach!

Quote:
During its short independent existence, Glenvale also boguht CMT buses of Aintree. Do you all think that CMT's passengers got a better or worse deal under Glenvale?
To be honest, I think GTL were not that bad a company as people would like to make out. The reason people say GTL were terrible was because the buses were well worn!. GTL painted several of the Titans in all red and to be honest they looked fine.

As for CMT, they were a very small company as I recall with Lynxes and Darts which ended up being used by GTL anyway and service wise they were no worse!

Last edited by Tom C; 8th February 2010 at 15:54.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:00   #9
robertclark125
Established Member

Did Glenvale perhaps go wrong at the start, by launching route after route in competition with Arriva, outwith the normal Gillmoss area, rather than concentrating at first on its main area, developing it, getting in new rolling stock, which would've been better for the customer?
Old 12th March 2010, 22:31   #10
mbonwick
Established Member

No, they had to compete with Arriva from the outset as Arriva were bound by Competition Rules. If they'd left it, Arriva would have run them off the road as the reconciliatory period would have been over.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:04   #11
robertclark125
Established Member

Glenvale competed with Arriva in areas outwith the Gillmoss normal depot operating area. Arriva were free to compete with the new services, and did on a few. Glenvale launched new rotues but these were loss making. I'm thinknig GTL should've consolidated their market first, before going into battle with Arriva.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What if, during the 3 year ban imposed on Arriva from competing with the services Glenvale acquired, another firm launched a few routes paralelling existing GTL routes, and then Arriva boguht out that firm?

Last edited by robertclark125; 15th March 2010 at 14:04. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 15th March 2010, 19:46   #12
royaloak
suburban driver and proud
Established Member

Arriva would have to sell off or stop running the competing services as they would be in breach of their operators licence.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:01   #13
robertclark125
Established Member

On the aspect of acquisitions, supposing Arriva was competing all over the CMT network, prior to Glenvale buying CMT. Surely Arriva would be allowed to maintain the routes it already had, as even though it's now competing with Glenvale before the ban ends, it was on the routes before Glenvale came.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:47   #14
robertclark125
Established Member

How many ex Glenvale/CMT buses are currently runnig with Stagecoach Merseyside, and how many are running elsewhere in teh Stagecoach UK empire?
Old 6th April 2010, 21:25   #15
plannerman

As far as bus users and the general public are concerned, the Stagecoach takeover was good news. GTL's fleet were old, dirty, polluting, and gave a terrible impression. When a Titan charged up from Mann Island to James Street, the blue haze hung in the air for ages! Stagecoach started by withdrawing most of the fleet, and brining in their own B10M's etc, and then followed up by renewing the entire fleet with new vehicles (Dart SLF's). Four years on, they are renewing the fleet again, this time with Enviro's. Liverpool now has a modern, clean, low-floor bus fleet - something GTL would have taken years to accomplish, if they ever did.
Closed Thread