RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2010, 08:10   #1
lukipela

Default Hemel Hempstead to Euston

I'm staying in Hemel Hempstead for 2 weeks in August and will want to travel into London a few times. I will want something like a travel card so I can use the buses and underground aswell. Does anybody know the best ticket type to purchase, how much it costs and is it cheaper to limit my travel to weekends? Any other information you think may help would be good too, thanks.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 20th June 2010, 10:16   #2
bnsf734

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A quick look on the National Rail site shows:

A standard return to Euston would cost 15.60 per day allowing travel at any time. With Zone 1-6 Travelcard 21.40

If you were able to travel off peak then the cost would be 11.20. With Zone 1-6 Travelcard 16.70

A 7 day season ticket Hemel Hempstead - Euston is 72.80 which gives unlimited anytime travel to London but no buses/tubes. Works out roughly to 10.10 per day

A 7 day Zone 1-6 Travelcard from Hemel Hempstead is 93.60 which gives rail to London and unlimited travel within Zones 1-6 of the Tfl network. Works out roughly to 11.70 per day.

A photocard will be needed for the season tickets. Just take a photo to the station.

Not sure how an Oyster card would work with the season ticket perhaps somebody could add some details.

Hope this helps

Calv

Last edited by bnsf734; 20th June 2010 at 10:21. Reason: Cant spell Hemel Hempstead
Old 20th June 2010, 10:24   #3
generalvegitable

get singles to/from euston and get an oyster card, this will allow you the freedom of london, all you need to do is go to an underground station, ask at the ticket office for an oyster card, they will register it and then you will need to put some money on it. after that I am not sure but it is cheaper than a season ticket
Old 24th June 2010, 00:23   #4
mathmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvegitable View Post
get singles to/from euston and get an oyster card, this will allow you the freedom of london, all you need to do is go to an underground station, ask at the ticket office for an oyster card, they will register it and then you will need to put some money on it. after that I am not sure but it is cheaper than a season ticket
I disagree. From outside the London zones, a paper rail ticket and Travelcard (combined) is generally better value if you're doing more than the odd Tube journey, and you also don't have to worry about touching in and out all the time. For example, the off-peak extra cost of a Travelcard (as posted by bnsf734) is 5.50, covering Zones 1-6. The Oyster cap for Zones 1-2 only is 5.60.

If you are planning to go into London on four or more days per week, a season ticket may be worthwhile (though do the sums carefully). Otherwise just buy the Hemel Hempstead to Zone 1-6 Travelcard each day you're travelling.
Old 24th June 2010, 08:14   #5
generalvegitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmo View Post
I disagree. From outside the London zones, a paper rail ticket and Travelcard (combined) is generally better value if you're doing more than the odd Tube journey, and you also don't have to worry about touching in and out all the time. For example, the off-peak extra cost of a Travelcard (as posted by bnsf734) is 5.50, covering Zones 1-6. The Oyster cap for Zones 1-2 only is 5.60.
I must have mis-read, I thought that the OP said that he was staying in london and only doing the Hemel-Euston run at the start then not returning to the end
Closed Thread