RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2010, 23:11   #1
tannedfrog

Default Boundary zone 6 to St Albans off-peak return

I was at Elstree & Borehamwood wanting to go to St Albans
I've got a zone 1-6 season ticket on Oyster

So I tried to buy a Boundary zone 6 to St Albans but the seller refused! I could only buy Elstree & Borehamwood to St Albans because he said I was on the boundary.

So on my return journey on a fast train which went St Albans - West Hampstead - St Pancras, was I travelling without a valid ticket because it didn't stop at Elstree & Borehamwood?

And another thing am I obliged to touch in and out religiously on my zone 1-6 Oyster?

Many thanks

Last edited by tannedfrog; 13th July 2010 at 23:22.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 13th July 2010, 23:57   #2
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannedfrog View Post

So I tried to buy a Boundary zone 6 to St Albans but the seller refused! I could only buy Elstree & Borehamwood to St Albans because he said I was on the boundary.
He's talking nonsense!
Quote:
So on my return journey on a fast train which went St Albans - West Hampstead - St Pancras, was I travelling without a valid ticket because it didn't stop at Elstree & Borehamwood?
You asked for the right ticket, there's not much more you can do.
Quote:
And another thing am I obliged to touch in and out religiously on my zone 1-6 Oyster?

Many thanks
I can see no reason why you should, but someone who is more familiar with Oyster may be able to advise.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:19   #3
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
I can see no reason why you should, but someone who is more familiar with Oyster may be able to advise.
It shouldn't matter as long as the whole journey is within your zones (which it must be for Z1-6). No charge is deducted on touch-in within your zones and the inspector can see your season.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:23   #4
tannedfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWh View Post
It shouldn't matter as long as the whole journey is within your zones (which it must be for Z1-6). No charge is deducted on touch-in within your zones and the inspector can see your season.
thanks but I was starting from St Albans which in not in the zones
Old 14th July 2010, 23:49   #5
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. As your travelcard covers all six zones it won't matter whether you have touched in or not because you wouldn't have a fare deducted if you did. Therefore it is valid in conjunction with a boundary ticket. Had there been any element of PAYG then it would have been a problem.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:07   #6
A60K
Established Member

We discovered a few weeks ago that TfL have recently and very quietly changed the Oyster conditions to state that you must touch in and out on all journeys, even if you have a Travelcard.

I don't this has any practical effect yet, and I doubt many Oyster users actually know it's been added. I wonder however if they are going to enforce this at some point in the future, perhaps removing OEPs at the same time?
Old 15th July 2010, 09:44   #7
north

Quote:

Many thanks
As you are combining a season and a non-season ticket rule 19c of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage allow you to travel on a train that travels fast through your ticket change over station.

I'm not sure about this but I was under the impression that you could only buy a Boundary Zone 6 to Real Station ticket but not the other way around (ie - can't buy St Albans to Boundary Zone 6 CDR).
Old 15th July 2010, 10:41   #8
londonbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A60K View Post
We discovered a few weeks ago that TfL have recently and very quietly changed the Oyster conditions to state that you must touch in and out on all journeys, even if you have a Travelcard.

I don't this has any practical effect yet, and I doubt many Oyster users actually know it's been added. I wonder however if they are going to enforce this at some point in the future, perhaps removing OEPs at the same time?
So how are they going to enforce this,what if you have a travelcard including zone 6 and you want to go down to,say,Redhill or Epsom where you can't touch out?

Also,this allows me to ask for an explanation on another point,the tramlink posters say if you take the tram to Wimbledon without touching in you will be charged a maximum fare,even if you have a valid travelcard or season ticket,how do they justify this if your card is valid?
Old 15th July 2010, 14:31   #9
swt_passenger
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A60K View Post

It has a practical effect only if you have an OEP loaded. Someone recently reported (was it here in RAILUK?) that every journey he made on his travelcard produced an entry charge, because of the OEP he'd loaded and not used. Because he never touched out within his travelcard zones, the OEP wasn't ever removed and over a couple of weeks his PAYG balance was emptied...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbridge View Post

Also,this allows me to ask for an explanation on another point,the tramlink posters say if you take the tram to Wimbledon without touching in you will be charged a maximum fare,even if you have a valid travelcard or season ticket,how do they justify this if your card is valid?
The posters are a simplification, and are basically irrelevant to pax with Oyster travelcards who understand the system.

But because touching in at Wimbledon on a travelcard season doesn't actually do anything, it's easier not to mention it - makes the wording on the poster more snappy and succinct for those it is aimed at.

Last edited by swt_passenger; 15th July 2010 at 14:31. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 15th July 2010, 15:02   #10
londonbridge

So:

a) as long as you don't have an OEP,at the moment it doesn't matter if you were to touch in and then go beyond zone 6 with a ticket from boundary zone 6 to wherever you were going and not touch out?

and

b) if you board the tram at,say,Wandle Park with your 3(4,5,6) travelcard and don't touch in,when you touch out at Wimbledon it won't actually deduct the max fare from any payg balance you may have?
Old 15th July 2010, 15:38   #11
button_boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbridge View Post
So:

a) as long as you don't have an OEP,at the moment it doesn't matter if you were to touch in and then go beyond zone 6 with a ticket from boundary zone 6 to wherever you were going and not touch out?
You can't touch out if you're outside the zones as there's no reader to touch. The more interesting twist on this one is that if you try and make such a journey when your oyster card does have an OEP then you'll be hit with an entry charge and there's nothing you can do about it as there's no opportunity to touch out. You'd have to get the OEP cleared before you touch in.

Quote:
b) if you board the tram at,say,Wandle Park with your 3(4,5,6) travelcard and don't touch in,when you touch out at Wimbledon it won't actually deduct the max fare from any payg balance you may have?
That should be fine, as your travelcard would cover you to exit the underground at Wimbledon.
Old 15th July 2010, 21:08   #12
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by button_boxer View Post
That should be fine, as your travelcard would cover you to exit the underground at Wimbledon.
As long as it included zone 3.
Old 15th July 2010, 21:23   #13
Deerfold
Established Member

Location: Yorkshire, working in London, getting a lot of trains

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. As your travelcard covers all six zones it won't matter whether you have touched in or not because you wouldn't have a fare deducted if you did. Therefore it is valid in conjunction with a boundary ticket. Had there been any element of PAYG then it would have been a problem.
Sorry to be picky, but there's no "all 6 zones" - there may only be 6 on the way out to St Albans but there's 9 zones (10 if you count "W").
Old 15th July 2010, 21:30   #14
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

Point taken. Where I am in the south we ask for an all-zones travelcard and get given 1-6. Also, in terms of Oyster there is now a G as well for the Grays group of stations.
Old 15th July 2010, 22:32   #15
button_boxer

Quote:
As long as it included zone 3.
I took "with your 3(4,5,6) travelcard" to include zone 3.
Closed Thread