RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2010, 02:06   #1
bicbasher
Established Member

Default Oyster ticket outlets outside the London zonal area

Are there any ticket outlets that sell Oyster products outside the London area where TfL provide bus services, but otherwise have rail services provided by the TOC's?

What got me thinking about this was the thread where Oyster is accepted on bus services outside the London zonal area to places like Redhill, East Grinstead and Dorking and how passengers could use those products unless they have to make a journey into Zone 6 first.

Caterham is a classic example which is just outside London, has a suburban rail service provided by Southern and TfL buses, but Southern don't sell Oyster at that station.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 14th November 2010, 02:25   #2
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

You can use Oyster on trains from Caterham though. And lots of NR stations don't sell Oyster via the ticket office. You can usually top up at the TVM (unless it's SWT). In my area there are a few newsagents in Dartford who sell Oystercards, and they do quite a bit of business too as 1.20 to Bluewater is a bargain.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:43   #3
bicbasher
Established Member

Oh yes, I forgot that in 2008, some Southern stations in Surrey that are in the Metro area were brought into the London zonal system, including Epsom Downs and Caterham. (Epsom on the other hand isn't!) So I'm pretty sure as Caterham is now in zone 6, sells Oyster via the TVM's.

I wonder what the policy is to become a TfL Ticket Outlet outside London is?

Dartford on the other hand, should be in Zone 6 when it's so close to London and is a terminus for Southeastern Metro services, although the TOC find it's revenue stream reduced from being able to charge higher fares.
Old 14th November 2010, 03:27   #4
Surreytraveller

Plent of newsagents about selling Oystercards outside London where TfL services extend beyond the boundary of Greater London.
Old 14th November 2010, 13:36   #5
W-on-Sea

The TfL Website has an "Oyster Stop Locator", with map, at http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/
(you need to zoom in quite a way before the stops (=shops!) become visible - or search by place name).
There's one shown in Redhill, seemingly none in Dorking though

Last edited by W-on-Sea; 14th November 2010 at 15:09. Reason: correcting typo
Old 14th November 2010, 13:47   #6
philjo
Established Member

THere are 2 newsagents within a couple of minutes of Potters Bar Station that can do Oyster top ups & I think the paper kiosk inside the station ticket hall now does them. PBR is the next station outside zone 6, but most of the buses serving the stations accept Oyster cards.
Old 14th November 2010, 14:39   #7
scotsman
Onboard catering bloke
Established Member

I've checked the map and found that York sells Oyster!
Old 14th November 2010, 22:06   #8
bicbasher
Established Member

The Redhill outlet is at the Bus Station run by Metrobus who also happen to run the 405 to Croydon which is a TfL route.

In the past, the 405 ran to Crawley.
Old 15th November 2010, 00:56   #9
londonbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicbasher View Post
Oh yes, I forgot that in 2008, some Southern stations in Surrey that are in the Metro area were brought into the London zonal system, including Epsom Downs and Caterham. (Epsom on the other hand isn't!) So I'm pretty sure as Caterham is now in zone 6, sells Oyster via the TVM's.

I wonder what the policy is to become a TfL Ticket Outlet outside London is?

Dartford on the other hand, should be in Zone 6 when it's so close to London and is a terminus for Southeastern Metro services, although the TOC find it's revenue stream reduced from being able to charge higher fares.
I had to go to Epsom for a job interview a few months back,I asked about it not being in zone 6 whereas Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner are and was told Southern and South West Trains couldn't reach agreement over it being included in z6.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:39   #10
bicbasher
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbridge View Post
I had to go to Epsom for a job interview a few months back,I asked about it not being in zone 6 whereas Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner are and was told Southern and South West Trains couldn't reach agreement over it being included in z6.
I wonder now that SWT have agreed to sell Oyster products from their stations that we may also see Epsom brought into the London zonal system?
Old 16th November 2010, 17:03   #11
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicbasher View Post
I wonder now that SWT have agreed to sell Oyster products from their stations that we may also see Epsom brought into the London zonal system?
I think it unlikely to be honest. If SWT extend the Oyster system outside the travelcard zones like c2c have done then maybe; but the chances of Epsom being bought into zone 6 are pretty much nil. All the extensions were branch lines where there would be no impact on fares further out, but with Epsom you would have that problem. Fares to the next few stations would have to be reduced as well or the local Epsom to those next stops fares would have to increase. Either way there would be an impact on revenue.