RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 25th November 2010, 12:24   #1
46100ROYALSCOT
JOHN

Default GMPTE Wayfarer/ South Yorkshire PTE Day Tripper

Trying to plan a day out and wanted to know if the two ticket areas overlap? At 5.00 for Wayfarer ( with Senior railcard ) and 5.50 for Day Tripper they are great value. The SYPTE maps are not very clear.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 25th November 2010, 12:34   #2

GM Wayfarer valid to to Grindleford, coming the other way SY Daytripper valid to Dore.

I find the Northern South Pennines Dayranger good value. It covers bits of West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. 12.20 with your Railcard. Not much more than buying the wayfarer and Daytripper combined.

I had one the day. more info at www.northernrail.org , click on tickets and offers then scroll down the page.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:48   #3
46100ROYALSCOT
JOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43167 View Post
GM Wayfarer valid to to Grindleford, coming the other way SY Daytripper valid to Dore.

I find the Northern South Pennines Dayranger good value. It covers bits of West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. 12.20 with your Railcard. Not much more than buying the wayfarer and Daytripper combined.

I had one the day. more info at www.northernrail.org , click on tickets and offers then scroll down the page.
Thanks 43167 for reply however I am based in Warrington and the GMPTE Wayfarer covers Warrington whereas the Northern South Pennines Dayranger does not.

On checking i see a return from Grindleford to Dore is only 1.80 but service is very sparse, if i purchase all 3 tickets, the GMPTE Wayfarer, the SYPTE Day Tripper and the return ticket from Grindleford to Dore, can I get a train from say Man Pic through to Sheffield and beyond without getting on and off at Grindleford / Dore?
Old 25th November 2010, 12:52   #4
Max
Admaxistrator
Administrator

A day-tripper is 5.80. You would need to buy a ticket from Grindleford-Dore if you were to do this (quite pricey at 1.90). You would also be restricted to slow trains between Manchester and Sheffield.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:59   #5
cuccir
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46100ROYALSCOT View Post
Thanks 43167 for reply however I am based in Warrington and the GMPTE Wayfarer covers Warrington whereas the Northern South Pennines Dayranger does not.

On checking i see a return from Grindleford to Dore is only 1.80 but service is very sparse, if i purchase all 3 tickets, the GMPTE Wayfarer, the SYPTE Day Tripper and the return ticket from Grindleford to Dore, can I get a train from say Man Pic through to Sheffield and beyond without getting on and off at Grindleford / Dore?
You can do it without getting on and off, but the train would have to stop there.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:16   #6
Tom B
Lord High Executioner
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
A day-tripper is 5.80. You would need to buy a ticket from Grindleford-Dore if you were to do this (quite pricey at 1.90). You would also be restricted to slow trains between Manchester and Sheffield.
I thought it was 5.50? Or have the Spineless Yorkshire PTE allowed it to be hiked up again?
Old 25th November 2010, 18:12   #7
scrapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
1.90 for a 5 mile journey isn't bad value imo.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:24   #8
jcollins
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapy View Post
1.90 for a 5 mile journey isn't bad value imo.
Yes it's 5+ for some 10 mile journeys in Cheshire so under 2 for 5 miles isn't exactly pricey.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:18   #9
142 aficionado
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
I thought it was 5.50? Or have the Spineless Yorkshire PTE allowed it to be hiked up again?
Easy target with the funding cuts, Tyne and Wear have announced that they are putting up their prices on Metro tickets as well.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:29   #10
sheff1
Established Member

Quote:
It has been 5.80 since May, at least.
Reasonable enough, I think, when a Day Return Sheffield - Doncaster is 5 ... but not as good as a Derbyshire Wayfarer.
Old 25th November 2010, 23:20   #11
tannedfrog

Is there a child price on either of these passes?

If not is it 50% normal fare for a child and free if under 5?
Old 26th November 2010, 22:19   #12
Tom B
Lord High Executioner
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142094 View Post
Easy target with the funding cuts, Tyne and Wear have announced that they are putting up their prices on Metro tickets as well.
The SYPTE don't exercise any control over the price of the ticket - in fact nothing goes to them. It's controlled entirely by bus companies, who in South Yorkshire make regular fare increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannedfrog View Post
Is there a child price on either of these passes?

If not is it 50% normal fare for a child and free if under 5?
IIRC there's a student version.
Old 27th November 2010, 20:40   #13
bus man

Quote:
The SYPTE don't exercise any control over the price of the ticket - in fact nothing goes to them. It's controlled entirely by bus companies, who in South Yorkshire make regular fare increases.

IIRC there's a student version.
The price of the PTE ticket is controlled entirley by the PTE , however , it as to reflect the price the PTE pay the operator for you to use the said ticket.

Not sure where you would buy the day tripper as there can be problems getting hold of them as some bsu companies are appaling at seeling them.
Old 27th November 2010, 21:59   #14
Tom B
Lord High Executioner
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The price of the PTE ticket is controlled entirley by the PTE , however , it as to reflect the price the PTE pay the operator for you to use the said ticket.

Not sure where you would buy the day tripper as there can be problems getting hold of them as some bsu companies are appaling at seeling them.
AIUI it is controlled by the bus companies.

You can get them at the PTE shops and also IIRC at stations.

Of course this is immaterial to people like you with an OAP pass .
Old 28th November 2010, 02:00   #15
Max
Admaxistrator
Administrator

There are no discounts on the Day-Tripper, just to confirm.
Closed Thread