RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2011, 10:13   #1
philjo
Established Member

Default Route 84 (Potters Bar) fares changes

Notice seen on the 84 bus this morning & is also on the Metroline website:

Quote:
FROM MONDAY 2 JANUARY 2012, changes will be made to the acceptance of TFL tickets on Route 84, as it will no longer be part of the TFL bus network between New Barnet and Potters Bar.

Transport for London Bus Passes, Travelcards, Oyster Pay As You Go tickets will no longer be accepted on the above section of route, but holders showing these tickets to the driver will be able to obtain a reduced cash fare if travelling in this section of route. Passengers should no longer swipe their tickets on the ticket machine reader.

Further information on this change and on other fare changes also being introduced on this date will be available on our website and on the buses from mid - December.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 8th December 2011, 11:33   #2
ajax103
Established Member

Thanks for the update,

Last edited by ajax103; 8th December 2011 at 12:40.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:14   #3
ntg

Well that seems like a step backwards...
Old 8th December 2011, 15:45   #4
Schnellzug
le Petit Train Jaune
Established Member

Seems hardly any point Metroline continuing to operate it, unless it is enough of a money spinner to make it commercially viable. "holders showing these tickets to the driver will be able to obtain a reduced cash fare if travelling in this section of route" sounds like a recipe for complication & confusion, doesn't it.
Old 8th December 2011, 15:46   #5
SS4
Classic Sonic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellzug View Post
Seems hardly any point Metroline continuing to operate it, unless it is enough of a money spinner to make it commercially viable. "holders showing these tickets to the driver will be able to obtain a reduced cash fare if travelling in this section of route" sounds like a recipe for complication & confusion, doesn't it.
Not really, Arriva have (had?) it in the West Midlands where NXWM ticket holders could pay a 50p supplement within the NWM zone. What it will do is cause delays
Old 8th December 2011, 16:49   #6
Deerfold
Established Member

Hmm, coinciding with it running under a London Service Permit (being the last remaining bus running under a London Local Service Agreement).

It could be beneficial to some passengers if they start accepting the Hertfordshire explorer ticket all along the route - is this likely to happen (as far as I know Metroline only don't accept them on TfL routes otherwise)?
Old 8th December 2011, 16:58   #7
causton
I'm in the green team
Established Member

It depends. Uno do on the 614 which was also an LLSA route - however they did back when it accepted Oysters anyway!
I believe they have to pay a supplement to somebody (Herts CC/Intalink who manage the Explorer scheme? TfL? Who knows) if they accept the Explorer, as Uno do on all their LSP routes except the 'coach' services, but Arriva have recently withdrawn Explorers into London on the 724 Green Line service.

Personally I think it would help if they did, but if they wanted to they would have done it before.

Is the timetable changing with this to account for the fact that a) it will now take much longer issuing cash fares and b) nobody will want to catch it anymore into London, rather getting the 313/298?
Old 8th December 2011, 19:01   #8
philjo
Established Member

The Potters Bar to St albans section of the 84 is always packed in the mornings during term time - many of those passengers come through form Barnet. I have often thought that it should run every 15 mins from 7:45 am to 9am as it would reduce delays. the 84 usually runs about 10 minutes late on Mondays when those traveling daily generally buy the Metroline weekly tickets. (I use my annual PlusBus ticket in Potters Bar)
Old 14th December 2011, 21:21   #9
Mutant Lemming
Established Member

Fares and ticket accpetance on the 84 seem to change more frequently than the timetable of late. With the 614 no longer accepting Oyster in London and now the 84 how long before the other four 'cross border' routes go the same way ? I thought there were plans afoot to extend Oyster to Herts not to have Herts fares extended in to London. 292 next ?
Old 15th December 2011, 11:38   #10
Deerfold
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Lemming View Post
Fares and ticket accpetance on the 84 seem to change more frequently than the timetable of late. With the 614 no longer accepting Oyster in London and now the 84 how long before the other four 'cross border' routes go the same way ? I thought there were plans afoot to extend Oyster to Herts not to have Herts fares extended in to London. 292 next ?
So far as I know the plans to extend Oyster in the short term are only on the train - that's a lot easier to do contractually.

The acceptence of Oyster on non-TfL buses is down to whether the operator thinks it's worth however many pence per card they get for accepting it.
Closed Thread