RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers

Closed Thread
Unread 18th January 2012, 18:30   #1
willas00
Class 450 Dude

Default Gateline/Station Staff

I've just had an e-mail today to inform me I passed an online assessment I did on Friday for Gateline/Station Staff with First Great Western.

I've been asked to attend an assessment day on Monday.

Can any one tell me what to expect?

Any advice of tips would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

YouTube - Flickr - RailMiles | Owner of 450110 43285 221135 221115
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Unread 18th January 2012, 18:36   #2
cookiescrumble
SWT Rail Operator

For South West Trains, the Gateline assessments were maths test, ticket checking (both ways through barriers) and reading a timetable.
Unread 18th January 2012, 18:37   #3
willas00
Class 450 Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiescrumble View Post
For South West Trains, the Gateline Assessments were maths test, ticket checking (both ways through barriers) and reading a timetable.
Sounds rather simple.

All the email says is

Quote:
Please ensure that you arrive in plenty of time, as the assessment will start promptly on the day. Please also ensure that you are available for the whole day to allow for the full assessment process to be completed.

On the day of the assessment you will be required to complete a range of tests. Please do not worry about these tests as full instructions will be given on the day. If however the specific assessment requires so then we will send information relating to the tests that you will be undertaking and some practice material to you prior to the day. It is important that if these are sent to you that you read these documents thoroughly and attempt the practice exercises prior to the assessment day. This may help you perform better in the test situation.

Please note that all materials will be provided for you on the day but if you wear reading glasses you should bring them with you.

The results of your assessment will be marked while you are there and if there is time on the day, we will tell you your results. If for any reason we have not been able to tell you your result, we will contact you by email within a couple of days.

Unread 18th January 2012, 18:47   #4
cookiescrumble
SWT Rail Operator

I'll have a look at the booklet they sent me and see if I've missed anything.
Unread 18th January 2012, 19:28   #5
142 aficionado
Established Member

An interview I had for a related role had an assessment - finding ticket prices, travelling using different routes from one station to another (so how to use a timetable) and how to read a map (funnily enough in the assessment they'd asked me to find a street but had mis-spelled the actual street name).
Unread 18th January 2012, 23:40   #6
ushawk
Established Member

For Southern, i had a concentration test, a maths test and a role play - also for Gateline.
Unread 30th January 2012, 22:43   #7
willas00
Class 450 Dude

I had to do 3 tests in the end.

English, Maths and Ticket Checking.

English was just checking for spelling mistakes really, Maths was checking for the right answer and Ticket Checking was making sure the ticket was valid.

The guy doing the assessment on the day informed me there was a slight hickup (Not how he worded it but I won't go into that) which meant the papers could not be marked on the day and we would be offered interviews at a later date.

I got offered an interview which I went to today which I felt went really well. Myself and the station manager seemed to get on nicely and she was really nice to me.

All being well I will be Gateline Staff soon!

Unread 12th February 2012, 17:53   #8
willas00
Class 450 Dude

Further more to this I was successful in my interview and I have been offered a position subject to a medical.

I've got to attend a Medical with BUPA which the latter states I will be asked to complete a general health questionnaire and/or have a medical examination. I'll also need to supply a urine sample which will be tested for illegal substances.

Just wondering what can I expect during a medical examination? Never been to one before, not worried about it at all would be nice to know in advance what to expect.

Unread 12th February 2012, 18:19   #9
AntoniC

Quote:
Originally Posted by willas00 View Post
Further more to this I was successful in my interview and I have been offered a position subject to a medical.

I've got to attend a Medical with BUPA which the latter states I will be asked to complete a general health questionnaire and/or have a medical examination. I'll also need to supply a urine sample which will be tested for illegal substances.

Just wondering what can I expect during a medical examination? Never been to one before, not worried about it at all would be nice to know in advance what to expect.
I would imagine it would cover :

Height
Weight
Vision (including Colour Blindness)
Mobility
and testing for illicit drugs
You should also mention if you are diabetic and on prescribed medication (like me).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by yorkie; 13th February 2012 at 10:48. Reason: Reply was above the quote. Fixed.
Unread 12th February 2012, 18:27   #10
willas00
Class 450 Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniC View Post
I would imagine it would cover :

Height
Weight
Vision (including Colour Blindness)
Mobility
and testing for illicit drugs
You should also mention if you are diabetic and on prescribed medication (like me).

Hope this helps.
Thanks, In the interview the manager did say the urine test was for drugs/alcohol, of which I'm not taking any illegal drugs and I'm sure as hell not planning on drinking before going to a medical.

Closed Thread