RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Disputes & Prosecutions

Click to visit us on Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2012, 11:01   #16
DPC_1989

Ah I see, so going to court to settle something which has already sort of been settled would be a waste of time? And yeah you're right, I just wish to pay whatever the fine is and close it, and put it down as an experience of how generally good the rail system here can be!
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 16th May 2012, 11:06   #17
AlterEgo
Around and About
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphchadkirk View Post
Not that it really makes a difference?

It may, it may not. Different TOCs do treat these kind of offences differently. FCC being a notoriously hardline company.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:12   #18
ralphchadkirk
Does not work for the BBC
Established Member

I meant that it in law which company picks up the offence won't matter - do if you used an EC service but got caught by an FCC inspector then the prosecution could still succeed.

Old 16th May 2012, 11:23   #19
DPC_1989

Well I have no idea which company it was, i presume theres only one or two it can be in Liverpool, and every case will be different anyway won't it?

Any thoughts on whether I'd get a criminal record and go to court? again, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, really appreciarte your knowledge and experience of the system.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:29   #20
island
I'm from M390
Established Member

You cannot get a prison sentence for a first offence of not having a ticket (except possibly if you didn't pay a fine).

Again, until we know what the letter says, it's difficult to speculate as to whether you would go to court or get a criminal record. In the majority of the cases we have seen on this forum, however, where a person who commits a ticketless travel offence having no prior record of doing so fully engages with the Train Operating Company and offers an early payment towards their administrative costs and avoided fare, the offer is accepted and the case does not proceed to court.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:41   #21
DPC_1989

Thanks island, I'll have to post what the letter says when it eventually arrives.

And i'll note what you've said to include in my reply, hopefully I'll be able to sort this whole mess out by complying and co-operating.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:14   #22
island
I'm from M390
Established Member

We would be pleased to proof-read your reply before you send it, not least because it is very easy to incriminate yourself unintentionally in a reply.

In the meantime, calm down It's unlikely to be the end of the world.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:22   #23
DPC_1989

haha wise words, will do. I'll have to cancel that flight to mexico and change my name back from the alter ego I had planned...
Old 16th May 2012, 12:33   #24
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC_1989 View Post
... I just wish to pay whatever the fine is and close it...
If they decide to prosecute, you could plead guilty and simply pay the fine. If they are prosecuting you under the Regulation of Railways Act 5.3, then you will get a criminal record. I'm not sure this is what you really want, and it's not what I'd recommend.

It is better to avoid a situation where a court imposes a fine on you. Therefore, if the company is inclined to prosecute you, then you would be advised to consider an out of court settlement with the relevant Train Company. Someone with no previous record has a reasonable chance of reaching a settlement.

You'll need to wait for them to write to you, and see what the letter says before deciding how to proceed.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:40   #25
DPC_1989

Thanks Yorkie, Id like to avoid a court imposed fine and criminal record at all costs.

What do you believe to be a good line of attack on this? Write to them when I hear from them offering to pay the compensation to the train company out of court?

I don't want to argue or to take it to court and try and get around it that way, I'd rather just pay up and accept it was a mistake and that I'll compensate for that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and by fine I didn't mean I'd like to go to court and pay the fine, I meant pay the out of court compensation fee, I just wasn't aware it wasn't called a fine as this is all totally new and foreign to me! apologies for the confusion!

Last edited by DPC_1989; 16th May 2012 at 12:40. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 16th May 2012, 12:59   #26
Chapeltom
Established Member

Are we talking about Northern Rail or Merseyrail here just out of interest?
Old 16th May 2012, 13:04   #27
DPC_1989

Im not sure, possibly?
Old 16th May 2012, 13:08   #28
Chapeltom
Established Member

Where did you travel from say West Allerton, Mossley Hill, Edge Hill etc, one of the City Line services (blue trains) or Aigburth, Brunswick etc, Northern Line services (grey/yellow trains).
Old 16th May 2012, 13:21   #29
exile

Normally at Lime St the barrier staff do a cursory check but a couple of times a month there is a more thorough check by RPIs. Not sure who they work for, the station is owned by Network Rail. There is an excess fare kiosk most days but not sure it was there today. Bizarrely, there are only barriers at (a) platforms 1 to 6 (b) platform 7 (Virgin trains) (c) underground at top of escalators. The lift down to the underground platform has no barrier and neither does platform 8/9.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:11   #30
DPC_1989

I was travelling from Broad Green, so the trains on the manchester victoria line/preston/wigan i think?

And yes its platform 1 usually, so it was through those barriers
Closed Thread