RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > UK Railway Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2012, 01:27   #1
wintonian
Established Member

Default Ghost trains AKA parlimentry services

It seems the BBC have done a short piece on this which can be seen here.

at some point later I'll find and add the Newhaven Harbour video here again being particularly relevant and a rather good video I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
You won't see them every day, and they rarely run when you might actually want to use them - but they're beloved by rail enthusiasts.

"Parliamentary" trains - also known as "ghost" trains - are strange services which often run just once a week and in one direction.

They exist in order to keep certain lines open, because without them the train operators would often have to close the route - something which costs time and money.

But tracking these trains down - and taking a journey on them - is the particular passion of a select group of ghost train "hunters".
BBC News went along for the ride.

Edit: the observant of you will note I meant Newhaven Marine not Harbour although Newhaven Harbour is in it.

Ghost train hunting - Newhaven.

Last edited by wintonian; 2nd July 2012 at 03:57.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:29   #2
SprinterMan
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintonian View Post
It seems the BBC have done a short piece on this which can be seen here.

at some point later I'll find and add the Newhaven Harbour video here again being particularly relevant and a rather good video I think.
Brilliant, Thanks
For a short little film that was really good.
Helsby-Ellesmere Port and Stockport-Stalybridge
I wish I had a partner who was interested in ghost trains like the guy in the film (I just wish I had a partner )

Adam

Last edited by SprinterMan; 2nd July 2012 at 01:40.
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:16   #3
transportphoto
See homepage for mileage.
Quizmaster

What a brilliant film! For once the media isn't criticising the railways!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:04   #4
MK Tom
Established Member

That was awesome! The only parliamentary service I've ever done is the Polesworth stopper... must do more!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:10   #5
Chapeltom
Established Member

Done the Stockport to Stalybridge line, was an experience and a half! Doing the Helsby to Ellesmere Port line as well in 3 weeks time, pure coincidence as I'm travelling to the Wirral to tick a few Wetherspoons and watch some football! Didn't realise until I showed my mate the itinerary.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:13   #6
David Goddard

Did the 1553SuO Norwich - Manchester yesterday, the only service each week to use the Ely West Curve. Lived near Ely for over twenty years and took til now to cover this section.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:22   #7
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Established Member

Helsby-Ellesmere Port is not a "Parliamentary" service - it's got four trains a day!

Sorry but there's a big difference between "Parliamentary" and "not very frequent" - far too often lines with several services a week get muddled into the former category...

/rant
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:24   #8
trentside
Established Member

A good film from the BBC about railways for once. Made for interesting viewing!

Enjoyed the Newhaven Marine film too - first time I've seen footage of a train actually at the station.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:28   #9
glenbogle

How many ghost trains run on the network, don't think there are any in Scotland, can these be listed for enthusiasts or are there to many ?
Fantastic clip and a right looker from Northern Rail!!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:29   #10
D6975

Interesting bit of film, but why Helsby-Ellesmere Port?
4 trains a day in each direction, Mondays to Saturdays.
Hardly Ghost trains. That's more frequent than the Far North and Oban lines used to be.

Stockport - Stalybridge I've done countless times when it was a regular service, travelled on a few Park Royals on that route.
Knottingley - Goole I did last year, that's 2 a day in each direction.

In Scotland, there used to be a service from Fife that went across the bridge and turned right towards Glasgow. Does this still run?
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:34   #11
6Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post
Helsby-Ellesmere Port is not a "Parliamentary" service - it's got four trains a day!

Sorry but there's a big difference between "Parliamentary" and "not very frequent" - far too often lines with several services a week get muddled into the former category...

/rant
And historically 'parliamentary services' were something slightly different - the one train a day which (if I recall correctly) had to convey 3rd class passengers, at a certain fare, call at all stations etc

Present-day parliamentaries are a slightly different beast - services which exist solely to avoid closure procedures
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:37   #12
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbogle View Post
How many ghost trains run on the network, don't think there are any in Scotland, can these be listed for enthusiasts or are there to many ?
IIRC the Fort William sleeper makes some people's definitions of a Parliamentary (being the only service over a couple of chords around Glasgow? cannot remember the details).

Plus a few years ago things like the north west chord at Thornton Junction would have probably made the list (but now probably has too many services that way - IIRC the teatime Sheffield to Dundee Voyager is often routed that way between Inverkeithing and Leuchars).

The thing about "true" Parliamentary services is that they often aren't noticeable from the timetable, it's the ones that are diverted via "freight" lines (like the Edinburgh "sub") that passengers wouldn't notice from the timetable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Gman View Post
And historically 'parliamentary services' were something slightly different - the one train a day which (if I recall correctly) had to convey 3rd class passengers, at a certain fare, call at all stations etc

Present-day parliamentaries are a slightly different beast - services which exist solely to avoid closure procedures
True - these are often confused with "infrequent" services and "services that exist to keep up staff knowledge" (like the token Northern Rail service diverted via Derby which doesn't run on any tracks that aren't covered by XC/ EMT regularly but I've seen claimed as a "Parliamentary" service by people due to its infrequent nature)

Last edited by tbtc; 2nd July 2012 at 12:37. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:42   #13
glenbogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6975 View Post
Interesting bit of film, but why Helsby-Ellesmere Port?
4 trains a day in each direction, Mondays to Saturdays.
Hardly Ghost trains. That's more frequent than the Far North and Oban lines used to be.

Stockport - Stalybridge I've done countless times when it was a regular service, travelled on a few Park Royals on that route.
Knottingley - Goole I did last year, that's 2 a day in each direction.

In Scotland, there used to be a service from Fife that went across the bridge and turned right towards Glasgow. Does this still run?
Yip Monday to Friday in both directions from Kirkcaldy to Glasgow.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:52   #14
Peter Gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbogle View Post
right looker from Northern Rail!!
Steady.....

but you're right

Pete
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:52   #15
jcollins
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post

I thought a parliamentary service meant it runs at times not convenient to passengers with the intention of having very low usage allowing the operator to say no-one uses it and apply to close it. The idea behind 1 single train per week was under BR it was cheaper to run that single service every week than go through the closure procedure.

Technically since privatisation the service frequencies on such lines run to the minimum franchise requirement and operators like Northern have to provide that.