RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport

Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2012, 13:15   #1
philjo
Established Member

Default 84 bus - "100 years old"

I noticed that the displays on the front of the 84 buses in Potters Bar this morning are scrolling the line "Route 84 - 100 years old" today.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 14th August 2012, 15:10   #2
34D
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjo View Post
I noticed that the displays on the front of the 84 buses in Potters Bar this morning are scrolling the line "Route 84 - 100 years old" today.
And for the first 98 of those years they accepted oyster
Old 14th August 2012, 15:22   #3
A0wen
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34D View Post
And for the first 98 of those years they accepted oyster
Given Oyster's only been in existence for 9 years, that's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it.

Furthermore at various times the 84 has been a Herts CC supported route (which is why it moved from LT to London Country in the early 80s) and the majority of the route is outside of TFL's jurisdiction.

See www.metroline.co.uk/news-item.html?id=29 which announced this
change from 2.1.12. Holders of TfL tickets can however get a reduced
fare of £1.35 between New Barnet and Potters Bar.
Old 14th August 2012, 17:42   #4
Deerfold
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A0wen View Post
Given Oyster's only been in existence for 9 years, that's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it.
They did accept TfL tickets from at least 2001 to the end of 2011 - but this was a commercial decision for Metroline - they will have received a fixed amount for each one accepted - this will have effectively been declining for years as Metroline's commercial fares have gone up at a greater rate than London's.

Quote:
See www.metroline.co.uk/news-item.html?id=29 which announced this
change from 2.1.12. Holders of TfL tickets can however get a reduced
fare of £1.35 between New Barnet and Potters Bar.
That link seems to be dead though the site does confirm this fare is still available.

Some people may have gained as the Intalink Explorer is now available throughout the route - there used to be an overlapping area in Potters Bar where both that and TfL fares were valid.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:01   #5
A0wen
Established Member

I don't think it's an issue - TFL services which operate within Hertfordshire don't accept the Explorer ticket (which is HCC co-ordinated) - e.g. 292, 298 or 313 for the areas where they are operating in Herts, so why should a service which operates predominantly in Herts accept Oyster?
Old 15th August 2012, 11:12   #6
philjo
Established Member

The travelcard area accepted on the 84 was reduced over the years - back in 1998 I was travelling out to south Mimms using a zones 456 season ticket. travelcard validity was cut back to Cranborne road in 2002 when the 298 was rerouted from South Mimms to the Cranborne industrial estate & south Mimms served by Sullivans on the new 398 service.
The whole area including South Mimms is included in the Potters Bar PlusBus zone though it took a while for some drivers on the 84 to accept them as they kept saying that london travelcards were not valid.

There was often at least one person on the bus each morning trying to get to St Albans with their oystercard who had to pay extra (or get off) at Cranborne road.

We were wondering while waiting for the 84 at Potters Bar this morning if the journey time has changed much over the 100 years & what the original buses were like - does anyone know?
Old 15th August 2012, 12:57   #7
John Webb

Somewhere in the depths of my bookcases I've a booklet produced by someone several years ago about this route. I'll try and dig it up. (It is for me a local route - bus stop about a minute's walk away!)

The 64 page booklet is called "84 - Bus to St Albans" - written by Tony Billings and published by him in 2003 - ISBN 0 9508803 9 6. It contains numerous b/w photos

It reviews the service, which started in 1912, on the 3rd August, by the London General Omnibus Company. It used their 'B' type buses working out of Cricklewood garage. The 84 was looked upon as more of an 'excursion' route and at first only ran on Sats/Suns and bank Holiday Mondays. The booklet goes on to describe the development of the route and the effect it had on travel in the district.

Regards,
John Webb

Last edited by John Webb; 15th August 2012 at 14:27. Reason: More information
Old 15th August 2012, 23:53   #8
34D
Established Member

Quote:
I don't think it's an issue - TFL services which operate within Hertfordshire don't accept the Explorer ticket (which is HCC co-ordinated) - e.g. 292, 298 or 313 for the areas where they are operating in Herts, so why should a service which operates predominantly in Herts accept Oyster?
Don't forget that the TfL ticket area (for buses) goes out to potters bar, so its 50% of the route really.

And yes, I agree strongly that those TfL routes should accept intalink explorer.
Old 16th August 2012, 00:26   #9
jon0844
Doesn't buy Carnets
Veteran Member

Quote:
We were wondering while waiting for the 84 at Potters Bar this morning if the journey time has changed much over the 100 years & what the original buses were like - does anyone know?
The original buses were converted to Class 142 trains weren't they?
Old 16th August 2012, 19:37   #10
wyvfe1

Quote:
In the 1980's the route was a bit different, it went a faster route to St Albans and also started and finished at Arnos Grove.
I don’t remember what part of the route changed but it was a lot faster.
Old 16th August 2012, 20:20   #11
bus man

During the next 3 years or so , there will be a lot of 100 year old bus services some of them like the 51 in sheffield which is a 100 years old next year are the first buses operated by the operator in this case sheffield tramways
Old 17th August 2012, 13:46   #12
Deerfold
Established Member

London bus route 24 is 102 this year, with 100 years this month since the current route was fixed (that was when it was extended from Victoria to Pimlico).
Closed Thread