RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:14   #1
Rational Plan

Default Gravesend station rebuild approved. new 12 car central platform

Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:31   #2
yorksrob
Established Member

That's certainly an interesting reuse of existing space. I'm guessing the new island platform will be fairly narrow.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:37   #3
Rational Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksrob View Post
That's certainly an interesting reuse of existing space. I'm guessing the new island platform will be fairly narrow.
Yes, it has railings on one side.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:53   #4
John55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Yes, it has railings on one side.
There are some more detailed drawings on Gravesham Council's website. Platform is about 5m wide with the fence about 0.5m from one edge.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:56   #5
MidnightFlyer
Resident minarchist
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John55 View Post
There are some more detailed drawings on Gravesham Council's website. Platform is about 5m wide with the fence about 0.5m from one edge.
Are there any links? I've had a quick flick through the website but can't find anything.
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:28   #6
John55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE2010 View Post
Are there any links? I've had a quick flick through the website but can't find anything.
I just typed in railway station on the search facility on their planning page.

http://plan.gravesham.gov.uk/online-...=LS4ENHHP05800
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:30   #7
jopsuk
Established Member

the illustrative "photo montages" (they're neither!) show the fenced off side of the platform as having a platform edge that, were the fence removed, would be usable. This seems a bit odd?
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:36   #8
cyclebytrain

Whilst I've come to accept that this plan is making the best of a bad job; I still really don't like it.
Old 24th September 2012, 07:00   #9
jopsuk
Established Member

Care to expand on your objections? I don't really know the area.
Old 24th September 2012, 07:47   #10
cyclebytrain

The Metro services that currently terminate on the down platform will (presumably) go into the new bay -making them the wrong side of the station for the bus stop and the multi storey car park (although the right side for the station car park).

Whelchairs/bikes/pushchairs etc. for up trains are going to have to either go round the end of the bay, or use a lift. And the island is going to be narrow, so difficult to get a wheelchair up to the other end in the rush hour, especially when half the platform are waiting for the next HS/metro rather than the one currently in the platform.

The shops will now be on only the bay platform, ditto toilets, etc. (not room to put them on the island.

In summary, I don't think it's going to work very well; but I also see no other way of getting the extra platform length in there
Old 25th September 2012, 11:48   #11
cle
Established Member

No C word in the release/summary. But obviously useful.
Old 25th September 2012, 22:59   #12
Lexicon10uk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebytrain View Post
Wheelchairs/bikes/pushchairs etc. for up trains are going to have to either go round the end of the bay, or use a lift. And the island is going to be narrow, so difficult to get a wheelchair up to the other end in the rush hour, especially when half the platform are waiting for the next HS/metro rather than the one currently in the platform.

The shops will now be on only the bay platform, ditto toilets, etc. (not room to put them on the island.

In summary, I don't think it's going to work very well; but I also see no other way of getting the extra platform length in there

The new central platform is 'single faced' and is (as mentioned earlier) fenced off. This platform is actually wider than both current platforms, although you are correct in noting the lack of any facilities on it - save, seating and an 80 metre modern canopy. There is scope, however, for a coffee/tea kiosk near the new footbridge on this platform and the current shop on platform 1, will be able to extend into the space vacated by the soon to be demolished old footbridge. - although I understand that the owners of the very small Pumpkin shop, are unwilling to invest as such, (after all, they possess a complete monopoly at this station. The space to be soon available on platform 3 (currently platform 2), where the other end of the old footbridge remains in situ for the time being, will also be available for retail - should anyone wish to enquire.

The majority of the station buildings are indeed Grade 11 listed, however, to many, it is now seen as it's achilles heel. The ideal solution would have been to replace the London end road bridge and extend there, or even a replacement 4 platform station altogether. But there we go.
Closed Thread