RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2012, 14:46   #1
dunoon

Default NYMR Trains to Whitby

Hi,
I went on a 3 day driving course on the NYMR in 2006, at the time NYMR didn't run trains to Whitby. I was watching a video on YOU-TUBE the other day about trains runnnig from Pickering to Whitby. I got wondering how do they turn the loco? I'm unfimiliar with the railway in Whitby. Do they have a turntable or a Y or a loop. Thanks
Rich Davis
Virginia, USA
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th December 2012, 14:56   #2
dave_wm

There is a run-round loop located just outside Whitby station, here https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54....num=1&t=h&z=17

They use this at present I believe, with the train reversing out after arrival to run around, then reversing back into the station for departure. However, I believe there are plans for a second platform to be constructed at Whitby station, presumably with a loop, for the use of NYMR services.

Hope that helps
Old 9th December 2012, 14:59   #3
yorkie
Fares Advisor
Administrator

Welcome to the forum

The loco isn't turned. The train is reversed into the loop. The loco runs around the train so it's on the front. The train is then reversed again, back into the platform. So in one direction the loco will be the 'wrong' way round.
Old 9th December 2012, 15:02   #4
ryan125hst

That's right. The train from Pickering arrives into Whitby where the passengers alight. Once everyone is off, the doors are locked and the train is propelled out of the station, with someone in radio contact with the driver of the loco. The loco then runs around the train and propels the train back into the platform. The doors are then unlocked and passengers are then able to board.

They have to make sure that everyone is off and lock the doors because they are not allowed to propel the train with passengers onboard.

I have seen a diagram of a plan for Whitby station, involving bringing the second platform back into use for use by Northern Rail trains. I think it also involves installing a third line between the two platforms to allow a NYMR loco to run round the train while a Northern train is in the platform. Whether these plans will happen or just a dream, I don't know.
Old 9th December 2012, 15:14   #5
ainsworth74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan125hst View Post
I think it also involves installing a third line between the two platforms to allow a NYMR loco to run round the train while a Northern train is in the platform.
That would be a very significant project requiring a lot of rebuilding as I seem to recall that Whitby is only wide enough for two platforms with no room in the middle for a centre track. I think if they were going to reinstate the second platform it would have to be a shunt release job with the loco pulling forward than running around the stock via the other platform rather than through a centre road.
Old 9th December 2012, 16:25   #6
scarby

Where's the Whitby turntable pit? Is it built over/destroyed?
Old 9th December 2012, 16:25   #7
Ploughman
Established Member

Plan is for a centre road runround.
Linking directly into the existing Bog Hall sidings.
This means it will be possible to run round any train totally independant of any Esk Valley working into Platform 1
Access to Bog Hall will only be available from P2
Old 9th December 2012, 20:23   #8
Greenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsworth74 View Post
That would be a very significant project requiring a lot of rebuilding as I seem to recall that Whitby is only wide enough for two platforms with no room in the middle for a centre track. I think if they were going to reinstate the second platform it would have to be a shunt release job with the loco pulling forward than running around the stock via the other platform rather than through a centre road.
I'm sure I saw a photo from the 1970's which showed a centre road at Whitby. It was in a magazine but I can't remember which one! Curse my failing memory!
Old 9th December 2012, 20:36   #9
dave_wm

A centre road should be no problem - here's the station with one in 1964.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishsw...ie/5881202054/
Old 9th December 2012, 20:40   #10
Greenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_wm View Post
A centre road should be no problem - here's the station with one in 1964.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishsw...ie/5881202054/
Thanks for the link Dave, it is reassuring that I am not yet senile!
Old 9th December 2012, 20:44   #11
dave_wm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Thanks for the link Dave, it is reassuring that I am not yet senile!
Haha, no problem - I was sure I'd seen one on the internet somewhere!
Old 9th December 2012, 20:50   #12
Tomnick
Established Member

Will access to the proposed new platform at Whitby be controlled from a ground frame, requiring trains to stop before entering and after leaving - similar to the arrangement for the second platform at Mallaig?
Old 9th December 2012, 21:48   #13
E&W Lucas
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnick View Post
Will access to the proposed new platform at Whitby be controlled from a ground frame, requiring trains to stop before entering and after leaving - similar to the arrangement for the second platform at Mallaig?
Yes, gf leading onto wht will effectively be a private railway into the reconstructed platform 2. The development should allow for 1 - 2 extra NYMR services on the branch per day, and I believe substantial progress has been made towards securing the required funding.

For those interested, this is the railway's forward planning document: http://www.nymr.co.uk/wp-content/upl...2012_final.pdf
Old 9th December 2012, 21:56   #14
ainsworth74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I'm sure I saw a photo from the 1970's which showed a centre road at Whitby. It was in a magazine but I can't remember which one! Curse my failing memory!
Huh didn't seem wide enough when I was there last. Ah well clearly one of our memories is failing
Old 10th December 2012, 11:09   #15
kylemore

Would it not be better to just hand the whole line from the junction to Whitby over to NYMR and just allow Northern running rights?

That way the line could be developed along heritage lines away from the dead (and slow) hand of officialdom.
Closed Thread