RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Infrastructure & Stations

Click to visit us on Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 11th March 2013, 21:36   #1
Kryten2340

Default Network Rail plans for Newcastle Central Station

This was mentioned in a thread a while back of which I can't remember but Network Rail have announced their plans to upgrade Newcastle Central Station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21734489

Quote:
Plans have been revealed for a £8.6m upgrade for Newcastle Central Station.

During the year-long project, a glazed pedestrianised area will be created in the front portico, with a new taxi rank to the east of it.

Its internal layout will be simplified and will include more shops, a new information centre and toilets.

The Grade I-Listed building was designed by John Dobson, and Queen Victoria attended its official opening in 1850.

Work is due to begin in May, and the station will operate as normal throughout.

'Better impression'
Newcastle Central Station is managed by East Coast, and the building is owned by Network Rail.

Phil Verster, from Network Rail, said: "Newcastle station is an incredibly busy and important transport hub for the North East.

"These improvements will help passengers to get the best from the listed building.

"Significantly, the finished station will also give a better first impression to visitors to the city."
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 11th March 2013, 22:21   #2
yorksrob
Established Member

Sounds similar to the work done on Sheffield Midland a few years back.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:16   #3
Stats

Full press release and images: http://www.mediacentre.eastcoast.co....ATION-370.aspx

Quote:
Exciting plans to transform Newcastle Central station into an impressive new gateway to the city and the wider North East region are unveiled today by station and train operator East Coast.

The £8.6 million project will provide a stunning new facility for thousands of passengers, and will enhance the historic original Victorian station design. The new-look station will provide a welcoming first impression for visitors to the city, and will be a key part of wider regeneration in the surrounding area of Newcastle city centre.

Its centrepiece will be the pedestrianisation and glazing of the station’s front portico, to create a dramatic new public and retail space.

East Coast, which manages Newcastle Central station, today unveils plans for the new-look building. The project is in partnership with Network Rail, the rail infrastructure provider which owns the station building.

Station users are being invited to view the plans, including artist’s impressions, at an exhibition at the station between 3.30pm and 7.30pm on Tuesday and Wednesday (12 and 13 March).

The improvements for station users include:
• A new, pedestrianised public and retail space in the front portico, with glazing in the arches to enclose the space and provide weather protection
• A doubling of the retail space to offer exciting new retail and leisure choices – similar to those now available at the refurbished London King’s Cross
• Improved passenger facilities including a new travel centre, better toilet facilities and clearer signage
• The amount of covered cycle storage space will more than double, compared with existing facilities
• A simpler layout that will give new prominence to the original building design and improve sightlines across the station's main concourse.

The architectural heritage of the station is at the heart of the new design. The station’s simplified layout will open up sightlines towards the Castle Keep, whilst showcasing the distinctive curvature of the arched roof.
Continued at above link
Old 11th March 2013, 23:26   #4
yorksrob
Established Member

It will certainly be an improvement on dodging the taxis.
Old 12th March 2013, 01:40   #5
gimmea50anyday
TPE's Finest Tail-Lamp!

Well I sincerely hope that leaky roof is fixed as part of the work...
Old 12th March 2013, 11:40   #6
Greenback

The new portico looks good, and I am sure that the new shops will do well, though every time I visit Newcastle there seems to be more retail units than the last time!

A new ticket office/travel centre is a priority in my view.
Old 12th March 2013, 12:05   #7
Cherry_Picker
Established Member

It says in that press release that Newcastle Central is one of only six Grade I listed railway stations in the UK.
I was going to ask what the others were. I know that Birmingham Curzon Street is Grade I listed, but I'm not sure that it counts as a station these days because it is unused so I thought I'd have a quick search on the internet for an answer and found it easily. So for the sake of an interesting tangent, the Grade I listed stations:

Current stations -

Bristol Temple Meads
Huddersfield
London Kings Cross
London Paddington
London St Pancras
Newcastle Central

Former stations -

Birmingham Curzon Street
Manchester Liverpool Road

I guess it is a predictable list, but I am surprised it is so small. I'd wager the number of Grade II listings is significantly higher though.
Old 12th March 2013, 13:30   #8
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksrob View Post
Sounds similar to the work done on Sheffield Midland a few years back.
It does - that was a good upgrade - good to keep passengers away from the path of taxis where possible (see also Waverley!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Picker View Post
It says in that press release that Newcastle Central is one of only six Grade I listed railway stations in the UK.
I was going to ask what the others were. I know that Birmingham Curzon Street is Grade I listed, but I'm not sure that it counts as a station these days because it is unused so I thought I'd have a quick search on the internet for an answer and found it easily. So for the sake of an interesting tangent, the Grade I listed stations:

Current stations -

Bristol Temple Meads
Huddersfield
London Kings Cross
London Paddington
London St Pancras
Newcastle Central

Former stations -

Birmingham Curzon Street
Manchester Liverpool Road

I guess it is a predictable list, but I am surprised it is so small. I'd wager the number of Grade II listings is significantly higher though.
If you'd said there was one Yorkshire station on there I'd have guessed York ahead of Huddersfield - not that Huddersfield is an ugly station of course - far from it.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:06   #9
swt_passenger
Established Member

The picture of the concourse on the NR site suggests that the current travel centre (with its external framework) might be replaced, or might that just be artistic licence?

IIRC some of the waiting areas on the new island platform were designed to be similar to the travel centre for supposed heritage reasons...
Old 12th March 2013, 14:07   #10
ian1944

It's predictable that more shops will be there, given the rental income these will generate. I'm old enough to think of stations as places where you catch a train, needing only a ticket/enquiry office and, if it's somewhere you may have a fair wait, a refreshment room and lots of platform seats. Now, I just ignore the overpriced on-site franchised coffee and fast food outlets.
Old 12th March 2013, 17:31   #11
LE Greys
Established Member

I haven't got off at Newcastle since my brief time at the university in 2010, but I remember a place near the booking office under the main roof that did sausage rolls and cups of tea. Currently, there is something called the Centurion Cafe on the site, but that doesn't look like it would do decent sausage rolls for anything less than £5, so yet another convenient little spot seems to have tried to turn itself upmarket, and probably just become pretentions. However, I'd be glad to see the Travel Centre moved to the old booking hall, and the building replaced with something more in keeping with the original station design.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:50   #12
Kryten2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Greys View Post
I haven't got off at Newcastle since my brief time at the university in 2010, but I remember a place near the booking office under the main roof that did sausage rolls and cups of tea. Currently, there is something called the Centurion Cafe on the site, but that doesn't look like it would do decent sausage rolls for anything less than £5, so yet another convenient little spot seems to have tried to turn itself upmarket, and probably just become pretentions. However, I'd be glad to see the Travel Centre moved to the old booking hall, and the building replaced with something more in keeping with the original station design.
The Centurion (the bar) has been there for a good number of years. If I'm not mistaken so has the cafe.
Old 12th March 2013, 19:27   #13
LE Greys
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten2340 View Post
The Centurion (the bar) has been there for a good number of years. If I'm not mistaken so has the cafe.
Maybe the website picture makes it look different from how it is. I haven't been there for three years.
Old 12th March 2013, 20:29   #14
Waverley21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Picker View Post
That's not entirely correct! Scotland has its own listing system, where Category A is the rough equivalent of the English Grade I.

Waverley Station is Grade I:

http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk...BUILDING:30270

There are quite a number of others - Glasgow Central, Aviemore, Bo'ness, Broughty Ferry, Dumbarton, Dunkeld and Birnam, Aberdeen, Haymarket, Ladybank, Melrose, Glasgow Queen Street, Pitlochry, Stirling and Wemyss Bay - think that makes 15!
Old 12th March 2013, 20:38   #15
AndyHudds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post
It does - that was a good upgrade - good to keep passengers away from the path of taxis where possible (see also Waverley!)

If you'd said there was one Yorkshire station on there I'd have guessed York ahead of Huddersfield - not that Huddersfield is an ugly station of course - far from it.
Its listed on its outside appearance only, as inside its nowt to look at to be fair. Even the current booking hall is a bit bland despite its recent renovation.

As someone who is born and bred in Huddersfield the station facade is magnificent and I for one am well proud of it and its a iconic building in the town.
Closed Thread