RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2013, 00:07   #1
radamfi
Established Member

Default Arriva Green Line 757 to stop serving Luton Airport

According to:

http://www.lots.org.uk/

Quote:
1) After 32.5 years Green Line 757, operated from London Victoria to Luton Airport by Arriva the Shires with sixteen Van Hool Acron triaxle coaches, will cease serving Luton Airport from 1st May as the Airport Authority has awarded a new concession to operate into the airport to National Express. It is likely that Arriva will continue to operate between London and Luton Town but inevitably would be at a much reduced frequency. It remains to be seen how NatEx will manage this change.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 26th March 2013, 00:22   #2
F Great Eastern
Established Member

The current 757 I believe, is operated by Arriva in partnership with National Express, Easybus, Wizzair and Terravision or so the side of the bus says, that sounds like on the face of it a rather cosy arrangement, but it's quite high fares no doubt due to all of the revenue splitting going on and as the only bus service into London, you'd think there would have been competition concerns with such arrangement.

The funny thing is, on the last few Easyjet flight I was on, it was sold under the National Express or Green Line name and at least at one point there were separate sales desks for this service and even three different prices for what was the same service.

It seems that National Express have broke out of this partnership though so it remains to be seen what the reaction is of the other partners to this and if they once again all team up together with NX rather than Greenline being the dominant name.
Old 26th March 2013, 00:32   #3
radamfi
Established Member

I wonder if the easyBus service between Luton Airport and Earl's Court is affected?
Old 26th March 2013, 00:34   #4
F Great Eastern
Established Member

I'd say not, since this is a seperate service using the mini buses is it not?
Old 26th March 2013, 00:40   #5
radamfi
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Great Eastern View Post
I'd say not, since this is a seperate service using the mini buses is it not?
But what if National Express have secured exclusive rights to operate buses between central London and the airport?
Old 26th March 2013, 09:45   #6
Martin nx

Nat Exp are indeed taking over the 757. It will become service A1 and a new Owned Ops depot in Luton will appear. (Owned Ops driver!)
Old 26th March 2013, 11:44   #7
robertclark125
Established Member

That could be challenged in court. Lothian Buses did challenge a similar ruling by Edinburgh Airport in 2011, and the court overturned the restriction which gave exclusive access rights to one firm.

Theere is also the issue of fair access to bus stations owned by operators, as identified by the Competition Commission report. Does this affect bus stations owned by Airports?
Old 26th March 2013, 12:44   #8
F Great Eastern
Established Member

At the same time though, is it any worse than the current situation though?

Whilst Terravision, Easybus (excluding the Earls Court), Wizzair and National Express along with Arriva advertise services between Luton and London, the reality is it's only one service despite giving the impression they are separate operators.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:58   #9
Martin nx

From what I understand to be happening this will be a stand alone service, other operators will not be involved or sharing ticketing on the A1.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:32   #10
radamfi
Established Member

I've never heard of NX accepting anyone else's tickets so it would be unusual if the current arrangement would continue.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:03   #11
Martin nx

18 Levantes are ready for this apparently and NX are advertising for drivers and shunter/fuellers as a permanent position at Luton so if you fancy it go to the website and apply!
Old 27th March 2013, 14:52   #12
winston270twm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin nx View Post
18 Levantes are ready for this apparently and NX are advertising for drivers and shunter/fuellers as a permanent position at Luton so if you fancy it go to the website and apply!
It's interesting that NX ops have only very recently shut Crawley depot sub contracting out a number of routes to third party operators, but are now opening a new base at Luton Airport & operating these routes in-house
Old 27th March 2013, 21:51   #13
Edvid

NXG press release: http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/...3&newsitem=826

It sounds like they're aiming for a frequency of up to six coaches per hour (Green Line currently provide up to four per hour). Other than the Oxford Tube by Stagecoach, I'm not aware of any UK coach services with such a high frequency.
Old 28th March 2013, 10:22   #14
howittpie

I think this will be bad news for passengers at Nat Ex fares to airport are usually a rip off, the exception being to Stansted where there is competition.
Old 28th March 2013, 14:12   #15
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvid View Post
NXG press release: http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/...3&newsitem=826

It sounds like they're aiming for a frequency of up to six coaches per hour (Green Line currently provide up to four per hour). Other than the Oxford Tube by Stagecoach, I'm not aware of any UK coach services with such a high frequency.
Trent Barton's Red Arrow coach service runs at a 10 minute frequency.
Closed Thread