RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > London Underground

Closed Thread

Old 25th November 2013, 13:13   #1
duncanp

Default TfL Fares Increase 2014

Does anyone have any idea on when TfL are going to announce details of next year's fare increase, or what is causing the delay?

From past memory they usually announce details well before this time of the year.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 25th November 2013, 13:20   #2
radamfi
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanp View Post
Does anyone have any idea on when TfL are going to announce details of next year's fare increase, or what is causing the delay?

From past memory they usually announce details well before this time of the year.
I was thinking that too. Last year the increase was announced on 7 November. I suspect the mayor is in a difficult position regarding funding, hence the delay.
Old 25th November 2013, 14:35   #3
duncanp

I can't help remembering during the 1970's when British Rail's annual fare increase was delayed by a month for political reasons.

The now defunct Punch magazine ran a brilliant cartoon which had the following words coming out of a station tannoy - "British Rail apologise for the late arrival of your fares increase. This is due to snow on the line and unforeseen difficulties with the Price Commission" (Yes I am showing my age)

Going back to TfL, it might also be nice if they could tell us what services they are going to run over the Christmas period soon, and possibly upload the data to the journey planner before 25th December. (Last year, it was less than a week before Christmas before they uploaded the data)
Old 25th November 2013, 14:53   #4
radamfi
Established Member

At least TfL have a set time each year for the fare rise. On buses outside London, fares can change at any time with no notice.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:53   #5
Domh245

Quote:
Going back to TfL, it might also be nice if they could tell us what services they are going to run over the Christmas period soon, and possibly upload the data to the journey planner before 25th December. (Last year, it was less than a week before Christmas before they uploaded the data)
I know that they do publish track closures at least 6 months in advance now(should link to the correct PDF for whenever you read it: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetra...k-closures.pdf )
I think that this is integrated into Journey Planner,but I'm not 100% sure
Old 26th November 2013, 02:16   #6
bicbasher
Established Member

I seem to remember one year during Ken Livingstone's tenure, he sneaked in a fare rise during the summer!
Old 26th November 2013, 20:45   #7
duncanp

Knowing the track closures is fine, but it doesn't tell you the time of the last bus or tube on Christmas Eve, or the first bus or tube on Boxing Day. Nor does it enable you to use the journey planner.
Old 27th November 2013, 00:12   #8
Be3G

In terms of first buses on Boxing Day, last year TfL ran a full Sunday service on the day, with (if I remember correctly) 24-hour routes starting at about 6am.
Old 27th November 2013, 13:16   #9
Deerfold
Established Member

Location: Yorkshire, working in London, getting a lot of trains

Quote:
Knowing the track closures is fine, but it doesn't tell you the time of the last bus or tube on Christmas Eve, or the first bus or tube on Boxing Day. Nor does it enable you to use the journey planner.
Usually day services run until the end of service with 24-hour routes running until around midnight.
Old 28th November 2013, 19:08   #10
paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicbasher View Post
I seem to remember one year during Ken Livingstone's tenure, he sneaked in a fare rise during the summer!
Well, there was a lot of fanfare about his fare decrease (1 to 90p) in September (that wasn't completely a decrease since caps and bus passes stayed the same) but people forgot that he had raised the prices from 80p (though admittedly 1 before 0930) just 9 months before.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:37   #11
radamfi
Established Member

The average fares rise has been limited to inflation (3.1%) rather than the 4.1% expected for National Rail.

Only three tube fares will increase by 10p: Zone 1 peak and off-peak and Zone 1-2 off-peak
PAYG caps frozen
Bus singles up to 1.45, bus daily cap and cash fare frozen
7 Day Bus & Tram up 80p to 20.40
Zones 1-2 and Zones 1-4 paper off-peak Travelcards withdrawn, leaving just Zones 1-6, frozen at 2013 prices.
Anytime paper Day Travelcards and Period Travelcards rise in line with National Rail fares.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:22   #12
jonmorris0844
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
At least TfL have a set time each year for the fare rise. On buses outside London, fares can change at any time with no notice.
My bus operator has always given notice.. usually an A4 poster stuck behind the driver, with small text and no actual idea of how much the fare increase will be (just that some will rise and some might be frozen). Then you can't find that on their website either and so only find out on the day!
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:27   #13
theblackwatch
www.deltic.co.uk

Quote:
The average fares rise has been limited to inflation (3.1%) rather than the 4.1% expected for National Rail.

Only three tube fares will increase by 10p: Zone 1 peak and off-peak and Zone 1-2 off-peak
PAYG caps frozen
Bus singles up to 1.45, bus daily cap and cash fare frozen
7 Day Bus & Tram up 80p to 20.40
Zones 1-2 and Zones 1-4 paper off-peak Travelcards withdrawn, leaving just Zones 1-6, frozen at 2013 prices.
Anytime paper Day Travelcards and Period Travelcards rise in line with National Rail fares.
Still no sign of a Zone 1-9 travelcard then?
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:40   #14
Deerfold
Established Member

Location: Yorkshire, working in London, getting a lot of trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackwatch View Post
Still no sign of a Zone 1-9 travelcard then?
There's a Zone 1-9 travelcard already.

Fares here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Daily is 20.40 peak / 12.10 off-peak

Last edited by Deerfold; 3rd December 2013 at 11:41.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:47   #15
Arctic Troll
Established Member

Quote:
Ouch.

Quote:
Double ouch.

Does that now mean a paper period Travelcard will now cost more than an Oyster one? Interesting.

ETA: Just read the press release. No, it means those of us who have period Travelcards (so anyone living in London then) will be paying more than inflation yet again.

Last edited by Arctic Troll; 3rd December 2013 at 11:52.
Closed Thread