• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR train manager assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahall01245

Hi guys, just abit off advice if possible. I have been invited to assessment day to take part in role play and maybe interview if you pass the role play exercise . I'm currently a conductor for LM and I have never been tested on role play all even attended assessment on role play, any one elsa attend this assessment before ? Any tips all what to expect would be great full . Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wils180

Hey is this for the Cardiff role? I have a stage two assessment coming up soon also, and was told there'd be a group exercise but didn't know about any role play! If so then it will probably be an awkward customer type situation, something as a qualified you should be fine with :) That's what it was at Transpennine anyway, and I assume it will be something along those lines?

PudseyBearHST

Hi. I have also applied for a Train Manager's role at London Paddington and just had a telephone interview today. How did the assessment go?

Ahall01245

H mate , I got to the interview stage I also received a phone call few days later said I was unsuccessful with the train manager roll however would i consider conductor roll which I do at the moment, I'm on hold at moment waiting for phone call hopefully within 6 months before I have to reply apply again whenever vacancies come out which are rare for GWR not like my company lol. Study the asseememt pack once you understand how to answer the questions lay of them otherwise your stress your self out and when you arrive before you start make sure you understand each exercise before you start only get one chance and take your time don't panic and rush , good luck ??????

PudseyBearHST

H mate , I got to the interview stage I also received a phone call few days later said I was unsuccessful with the train manager roll however would i consider conductor roll which I do at the moment, I'm on hold at moment waiting for phone call hopefully within 6 months before I have to reply apply again whenever vacancies come out which are rare for GWR not like my company lol. Study the asseememt pack once you understand how to answer the questions lay of them otherwise your stress your self out and when you arrive before you start make sure you understand each exercise before you start only get one chance and take your time don't panic and rush , good luck ��

Thank you for your response and unlucky mate for not getting the TM job on this occasion. Thanks for your help:)
Oh and and I think they were also recruiting for TMs again at Exeter St Davids the same time as Paddington which ended on the 13th March (Last Monday) so maybe they did not find anyone suitable the first time round as you applied in January

Last edited:

tonet00

Hi guys, just abit off advice if possible. I have been invited to assessment day to take part in role play and maybe interview if you pass the role play exercise . I'm currently a conductor for LM and I have never been tested on role play all even attended assessment on role play, any one elsa attend this assessment before ? Any tips all what to expect would be great full . Thanks
hello, I had my telephone interview last friday for the role of Train Manager in Paddington and I got an email saying I passed it. Is there anybody who has gone through the assesment and final interview? Anybody could tell me anything about the assesment and final interview ? type of exercises and kind of questions? thank you,

PudseyBearHST

hello, I had my telephone interview last friday for the role of Train Manager in Paddington and I got an email saying I passed it. Is there anybody who has gone through the assesment and final interview? Anybody could tell me anything about the assesment and final interview ? type of exercises and kind of questions? thank you,

Same I had my telephone interview for Train Manager in Paddington last friday too! Unfortunately, I got rejected so I wish you the best of luck. Out of curiosity what is your current job?

tonet00

Same I had my telephone interview for Train Manager in Paddington last friday too! Unfortunately, I got rejected so I wish you the best of luck. Out of curiosity what is your current job?

Hiii, I work as platform assistant in Gatwick

cbro126

I've just done my assessment centre with the 3 tests you have to sit and heard back and I've got to the next interview, I was wondering what to expect for this one I know it's group excercises first of all then if successful you get an interview I was wondering what to expect for both of these. I done one for the job I'm in now which is cabin crew wondering if it will be similar.

Sprinter153

The format of the final interview day for Conductor and Train Manager roles is as follows:

- An 'icebreaker' activity. You are asked to introduce yourself to the group and assessors and give your current occupation or a fact about yourself.
- A presentation activity. You will be asked to split up into two (or more) groups to make a presentation. The assessors will probably instruct you which group to go in – based on your personality and perceived strengths. Topics might include: How can we make the railway safer for passengers? or How can we deliver excellent customer service on the railway? or Why are rules and regulations important on the railway?. You will have a period of time (15 mins I think) to brainstorm ideas and write it down before performing the whole presentation to the group at large.
- A group discussion exercise. I spoke to a few colleagues who have taken this interview recently and it has been the same example every time. The scenario is that you work for the buying team at a department store and you need to choose which sunglasses to stock your store with from a list of approved suppliers. All of the suppliers differ in price / when they can deliver / quality. You need to decide as a group which sunglasses are the best to buy. You will have 5 minutes to read the instructions and make your own notes on the various requirements of the exercise, then 30 minutes to come to a conclusion with the group.

A break is then taken so that the assessors can compare notes and decide who goes through to the final interview. The final interview is competency based - very like your initial phone interview - but with a few open questions thrown in. The below are examples (though these are the ones I know from the Conductor to TM promotion question paper, I seem to remember the new starter questions are very similar)

- Why do you want to become a TM?
- What motivates you to provide excellent customer service?
-What could you bring to the role of TM?
- Talk about a time when you provided excellent customer service.
- Talk about a time you dealt with a particularly difficult customer.
- Talk about a time you had a bad day but dealt with it effectively.
- Talk about a time you needed to make a decision for safety reasons.
- Talk about a time you dealt with a colleague that wasn't pulling their weight.
- Talk about a time you worked as a member of a team to reach a mutual goal.
- Talk about a time you dealt with a group of difficult customers.
- Talk about a time when you dealt with an emergency situation.

Last edited:

cbro126

Thank you so much for the help! Had my assessment day today and got through to the interview:) do you know how long it takes for them to get back to you? they say 14 days but I was wondering if it was quicker?

wils180

it is much quicker! they told me on the day they'd like to offer me a position, and then the following day I had a confirmation email and a phone call in which they discussed start dates.

always think they over egg it a bit with the whole 2 weeks go get back etc, they said it would be 4 weeks for the telephone interview and it was that afternoon haha

TomCo91

Hi guys, first post but have kept a keen eye on this post over the previous couple of weeks. I today had my final assessment day for TM role and was invited to stay for an interview. I was told about 2 hours afterwards that I Have a conditional offer based on completion of medical/checks etc.

wils180

oh cool! i originally went for bristol but couldn't understand a word anyone was saying so switched my choice to london ??????

Gynster76

I failed my medical last week as had a blood pressure reading of 156/118 !!!
Gutted to say the least, does anyone know if they would still offer me the role if I were able to get it down or is it a case of thanks but no thanks, not had confirmation yet

tm46106

Hi guys, I've been successful after the phone interview and now have the second stage - tests.
Has anyone done these before? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to anyone who is in the process too

Trundle Fly

Sprinter123, I just wanted to thank you for your post about the assessment centre. I used your comments to prep with, & I await a start date as a TM. Thanks!!!!!

Matthew1982

I got my assignment interview Friday for train conductor just wondering if anyone got any advice for me thanks in advance

eastldn

Thank you so much for the help! Had my assessment day today and got through to the interview:) do you know how long it takes for them to get back to you? they say 14 days but I was wondering if it was quicker?
They took about 3 weeks with me due to staff shortage and annual leave... you can always call to follow up.

Krishna

Thank you Sprinter153,

Your advice and help is very much appreciated and can prepare fully as I have my assessment next week on Thursday.

Graminsta19

Thank you Sprinter153,

Your advice and help is very much appreciated and can prepare fully as I have my assessment next week on Thursday.

Hi how was your Assessment? What’s next after assessment ? Second stage and interview?

What’s format or if you can share more details please?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.