• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network SouthEast Route Symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helvellyn

Established Member
So, I'm hoping users of the forum can help me work out why the route symbols were chosen as they were by Network SouthEast. Looking at this site quite a few of the symbols are present. But what did they represent?

anglia.jpg

Castle on a star? Similar to the badge of the Royal Anglian Regiment. (Logo was also used with 'Great Eastern' name). Also seen with different colours here.

chiltern.jpg

I'm guessing the Chiltern Hills.

greatnorthern.jpg

The frontage of King's Cross.

island.jpg

Speaks for itself!

kent.jpg

Taken from the flag of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.

kentlink.jpg

Silhouette of Canon Street station?

lts.jpg

No idea.

northampton.jpg

Design from a canal barge used on the Grand Union canal.

northdowns.jpg

No idea.

northlondon.jpg

Harlequinn design, but why?

portsmouth.jpg

HMS Victory.

southlondon.jpg

The Crystal Palace.

southwestern.jpg

No idea, but this logo of Windsor Castle also seems to have been used, and in this picture here another variation of the pictured logo can be seen bottom left (along with the other two!).

sussex.jpg

Royal Pavillion, Brighton.

thames.jpg

Representative of the River Thames. Unsure why the Trident too?

thameslink.jpg

The City, but it also reminds me of the old Thames TV logo!

uckfield.jpg

No idea. Also used with 'Oxted Line' label, as seen here.

No idea.

westofengland.jpg

No idea.

There were also logos for:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Interesting thread. Not got much to add but I'm replying in it to tag it. My guess for LTS would just be an association with the maritime history of the line, it travels through docklands, Tilbury is a port, Southend is a coastal resort. Dunno what the specific ship is supposed to represent though.

acmw421

The Marsh Link logo is Dr Syn, the fictional Romney Marsh smuggler. The SW Lines logo is the Waterloo Victory Arch.

Carlisle

Established Member
southwestern is victory arch , uckfield line Is Hever castle and moat, I think west of England is the Arms of Exeter

Last edited:

Hassocks5489

According to p116 of The Network SouthEast Story 1982-2014, recently published...

• Great Northern: frontage of Kings Cross station
  • Anglia Electrics: badge of Anglia Regiment
  • LTS: A Thames barge
  • Kent Coast: badge of the Cinque Ports
  • Kent Link: Greenwich skyline
  • South London Lines: the old Crystal Palace
  • North Downs: badge/coat of arms of Tonbridge
  • Uckfield Line: Hever Castle
  • Sussex Coast (my local route!): Royal Pavilion, Brighton
  • Portsmouth Line: the HMS Victory
  • South Western Lines: the Victory Arch at London Waterloo
  • West of England: coat of arms of Exeter
  • North London Lines: the "Harlequin" logo/design/symbol (not sure how best to describe it!)
  • Thameslink: City of London skyline
  • Wessex Electrics: a "Heraldic helmet" (says 'ere)
  • Island Line: the Isle of Wight
  • Thames: coat of arms of Oxford colleges
  • Chiltern Line: the Chiltern Hills
  • Northampton Line: "Barge art rendering of the Grand Union Canal"

Incidentally I highly recommend this book, co-written by Chris Green.

Great to see these evocative logos again :D

superdrive1

The West Anglia logo is the heron bird. a segment in the book 'Along Different Lines: 70 Real Life Railway Stories' refers to this (The book can be found in online form on Google Books)

In short, the reason for the choosing of the heron is that the West Anglia route is common ground for them to be seen flying around. In fact, when the lines to Stansted Airport were constructed by BR, the ground left in the middle of the 'Stansted Triangle' was turned into an artificial pond, with a plastic heron put on the island in the centre of the pond to mark the line's link to the heron!

John Webb

Established Member
The 'Kent Link' is Wren's Greenwich Hospital (the two domes and side buildings) with the Queen's house, as seen from the river, with the hill behind on which Greenwich Observatory sits, although they've left that off.

And regarding the Northampton line, they were not canal barges but boats, please!

Last edited:

acmw421

Likewise, the Thames logo is not anything like any of the coats of arms of the Oxford colleges. However, both these stated explanations appear in a rather battered copy of Today's Railways Review of the Year 1989 I picked up from a charity shop a few years ago. So the minor mystery at issue, is the question of whether the NSE book parroting from Today's Railways or a similar source, did a press release at the time get wrong what the logos were supposed to represent, or did NSE simply create incorrect logos?

Hassocks5489

Likewise, the Thames logo is not anything like any of the coats of arms of the Oxford colleges. However, both these stated explanations appear in a rather battered copy of Today's Railways Review of the Year 1989 I picked up from a charity shop a few years ago. So the minor mystery at issue, is the question of whether the NSE book parroting from Today's Railways or a similar source, did a press release at the time get wrong what the logos were supposed to represent, or did NSE simply create incorrect logos?

Possibly all three, to be honest. Today's Railways Review of the Year 1989 isn't listed in the extensive bibliography, but a lot of similar sources from a similar era are given.

Helvellyn

Established Member

John Webb

Established Member
Re the "Thames" logo - the wavy water is harking back to the old LCC which had a similar wavy section on its coat of arms, and "Old Father Thames", like Neptune, is sometime depicted with a trident.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's a lot of Harlequin branding in Watford too, which the North London Lines serve. Not sure why though.

Isn't Harlequin also the name of a big shopping centre in the area? So maybe there is some historical association between the area and harlequins?

Helvellyn

Established Member
Isn't Harlequin also the name of a big shopping centre in the area? So maybe there is some historical association between the area and harlequins?
Harlequinns Football Club started off as Hampstead Football Club, and changed the name as more players from outside Hampstead started playing. According to Wiki Harlequinns was chosen from the dictionary, and it avoided the club monogram having to be changed! Also according to Wiki Harlequinns used to have a lot of players who worked in the City. Given that the North London Line used to run to Broad Street in the heart of the City, maybe this is why it was considered an appropriate logo?

John Webb

Established Member
The shopping centre was indeed 'Harlequin', but was dropped a year or two ago for something so mundane I can't remember what it is now!

davetheguard

Established Member
With regard to the "Thames" logo, I wonder if the Trident is something to do with "Old Father Thames" a sort of mythical river god. There's a statue of him beside the river in Lechlade (but without Trident) that used to be located beside the river's source; which is a shortish walk from Kemble station, by the way. And I think he's also on a building in London (former Port of London Authority building???) this time complete with Trident.

And the wavy lines would just be the river itself, I suppose?

David Goddard

Established Member
That reminds me I must order Chris' new book! Love anything Network SouthEast.
Do the monitors at Margate station still carry NSE branding?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Now that would be a good idea !

After he's gone (a long way off, I hope) a statue of Chris Green should be commissioned and placed, I suggest but would welcome feedback, at the main entrance to London Bridge Station.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
After he's gone (a long way off, I hope) a statue of Chris Green should be commissioned and placed, I suggest but would welcome feedback, at the main entrance to London Bridge Station.

Berkhampstead station I reckon - where he still travels from. :D

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
So Berkhamsted not only had Graham Greene. my favourite novelist, but also my favourite railwayman of modern times. Berkhamsted it is then!

Could not agree more - a lovely little town , castle , plenty of WCML activity , canal , nice shops, good pubs (including a cider pub) .....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.