• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 Unused Platforms at Bournemouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
How about Wilmslow and Heald Green?

Aye, Bournemouth-Heald Green is a massive flow! :roll: Is that really a justification for service extensions or a new service from Bournemouth? A Scotland service wouldn't solve that, plus you have connections to both off the current hourly Manchester service!

VTPreston_Tez

You're explaining all the faults of the service I came up with nicely. I could see an extension to Preston as that serves Birmingham and would cover the LM service if the XC called at S&D and Hartford maybe once a day on parly.
Otherwise the bay shows no actual use because of Bournemouth's positioning.

ushawk

Established Member
If your going to call at a station once a day, then why bother calling at all ? Its almost teasing said place with a service.

A Parliamentary service is a service ran to prevent full closure of a line or station (E.G. Polesworth, Clapham High Street - Kensington Olympia via the Latchmere lines), so it wouldnt be a parly service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, more fantasy! The fact that So'ton gets two-hourly services to Newcastle surely removes a lot of need for this service, alongside the current MAN hourly trains. I wouldn't like a 170 or 185 for this service either!

Doesn't take much to set people off in fantasy mode does it. To save a whole new thread I though I'd point out that there's a bay platform at Fareham that sees no timetabled use in the recent or current timetables.

Give it a few hours and we'll see who can propose a suitable northern destination to run to from there. As it's a 7 car length I'm sure we'll get some really novel rolling stock proposals...

calc7

Established Member
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, more fantasy! The fact that So'ton gets two-hourly services to Newcastle surely removes a lot of need for this service, alongside the current MAN hourly trains. I wouldn't like a 170 or 185 for this service either!

Don't be silly, it would have to go via Preston, it's an obvious winner! :roll:

Eagle

Established Member
Where does Bournemouth not have connections to yet where it would benefit from?

Wimborne, Ferndown, Ringwood, Wallisdown, West Moors, Broadstone and Canford...

Am I the only one who thinks it's slightly ridiculous that a conurbation the size of Greater Edinburgh has only one railway line running through it, with many of the population centres having no railway at all?

(Also that said conurbation has no motorway, despite the nearest one starting only ten or fifteen miles away.)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This may be slightly off-topic, but IIRC there used to be a travel centre at Bournemouth. Does anyone know when this was scrapped? I think it was on the p2 side of the station, where the booking office is now.

wintonian

Established Member
This may be slightly off-topic, but IIRC there used to be a travel centre at Bournemouth. Does anyone know when this was scrapped? I think it was on the p2 side of the station, where the booking office is now.

2 or 3 years ago at the same time as all the other SWT travel centres got the chop, generally to make way for retail units.

wintonian

Established Member
Thanks both :)

wintonian - Which other ones were scrapped? Just out of curiousity.

All of them apart from Waterloo which was ment to go.

Can't remember where they all were, but off the top of my head:

Weymouth
Poole
Bournemouth
Southampton Central
Winchester
Woking (?)
Sailsbury
Portmouth & Southsea
Portsmouth Harbour (?)
Guildford

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Weymouth
Poole
Bournemouth
Southampton Central
Winchester
Woking (?)
Sailsbury
Portmouth & Southsea
Portsmouth Harbour (?)
Guildford

Cheers, I remember the one at So'ton Central now, forgotten on which side it was though. I also recall seeing a photo of Guildford's as being 'under refurbishment' - it turned into an M&S :|.

A lot more than I was expecting though!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Doesn't take much to set people off in fantasy mode does it. To save a whole new thread I though I'd point out that there's a bay platform at Fareham that sees no timetabled use in the recent or current timetables.

Give it a few hours and we'll see who can propose a suitable northern destination to run to from there. As it's a 7 car length I'm sure we'll get some really novel rolling stock proposals...
How about Fareham to Bournemouth? <D

(I know at least one person who'd benefit ;) )

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

The travel centre was at the Platform 3 side of the station, where the booking office and the ticket machines are now. ;)

How about Fareham to Bournemouth? <D

(I know at least one person who'd benefit ;) )

The link is actually rather poor between Bournemouth and other Hampshire coastal locations, especially since the ex-Connex services were cut back to Southampton Central.

One idea is that the hourly stopper between Portsmouth & Southsea and Southampton Central can be extended to Bournemouth, using the bay platform, meanwhile either speeding up the current stopper to Waterloo into a semi-fast, or keeping a half-hourly pattern serving the smaller stations.

There should be a departure slot available a few minutes before the XC departure, and XC should be able to overtake at Brockenhurst, although I'm not sure whether alterations will be needed to signalling equipment at Brockenhurst, nor am I certain whether there would be paths available. If one were available, this service (departing around xx35) should be able to fit in nicely with the current xx44 departure from Southampton Central as it currently stands.

Tom

The 1842 ex-Southampton Central and 1910 to Poole are the only ones I can see booked for this evening.

Edit - AFAICS those two are the only ones booked at any time Monday-Friday.

While some trains are booked to use platform 4 at Bournemouth, none do.

jamesr

Not wishing to play "fantasy train route" but while Cardiff - Bristol - Salisbury - Southampton - Portsmouth is an established route, surely there is some call to divert a few a day, or the Soton stoppers, of these trains to Bournemouth? Having lived near Salisbury for a while, Salisbury - Bournemouth is an attractive route, there's got to be a fair few Bristol to Bournemouth passengers, and a one change option from Devon or Cornwall to Bournemouth at Westbury would surely win some passengers who currently travel by bus?

I'm sure back in the late 80s / early 90s there used to be a very infrequent - possibly Summer SO / SuO service from Bristol to Bournemouth via So'ton - perhaps the stock and Southampton reversing opportunities make this impossible.

34D

Established Member
Not wishing to play "fantasy train route" but while Cardiff - Bristol - Salisbury - Southampton - Portsmouth is an established route, surely there is some call to divert a few a day, or the Soton stoppers, of these trains to Bournemouth? Having lived near Salisbury for a while, Salisbury - Bournemouth is an attractive route, there's got to be a fair few Bristol to Bournemouth passengers, and a one change option from Devon or Cornwall to Bournemouth at Westbury would surely win some passengers who currently travel by bus?

I'm sure back in the late 80s / early 90s there used to be a very infrequent - possibly Summer SO / SuO service from Bristol to Bournemouth via So'ton - perhaps the stock and Southampton reversing opportunities make this impossible.

Tell Go-Op then. Wonder if they'd extend to Preston too?

Schnellzug

Established Member

Weymouth
Poole
Bournemouth
Southampton Central
Winchester
Woking (?)
Sailsbury
Portmouth & Southsea
Portsmouth Harbour (?)
Guildford

The Weymouth one is currently being converted to a sort of waiting and (probably) retail area, which I must say would seem to be a positive step, unusually.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Not wishing to play "fantasy train route" but while Cardiff - Bristol - Salisbury - Southampton - Portsmouth is an established route, surely there is some call to divert a few a day, or the Soton stoppers, of these trains to Bournemouth? Having lived near Salisbury for a while, Salisbury - Bournemouth is an attractive route, there's got to be a fair few Bristol to Bournemouth passengers, and a one change option from Devon or Cornwall to Bournemouth at Westbury would surely win some passengers who currently travel by bus?.
that is true; sadly, though, since the foolish closure of the S&D, they'd have to go via Southampton and either reverse & via Eastliegh and Chandlers Ford, so I doubt that it'd be quicker than the X3.
But what about Bournemough/Poole to Exeter and the West? That's even more roundabout, necessitating crossing between Stations at Dorchester onto the infrequent FGW service, and then either getting a Bus between Yeovil P.M. and Junction, (or rather two buses), or going to Castle Cary, or alternatively going all the way back to Southampton and then up to Salisbury; whichever way you look at it, it's hardly a routing on which Rail is exactly competitive.

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

Tell Go-Op then. Wonder if they'd extend to Preston too?

Here we go again. There's nothing after Cardiff that's viable to be extended and for Preston, alight at Bristol and then Wolves.
Also, I always dreamed of Bristol-Bournemouth and there may be viability here. I'll leave the debates to the others.

Lrd

Established Member

You wouldn't need to reverse at Southampton as you could go via Chandlers Ford and even serve Southampton Airport, shouldn't be too much of a time penalty.

Southern

Yes, they can. The evening-peak terminator from Southampton Central (split from a service ex-Waterloo possibly) a few years back used to use Platform 1. It was formed of a 450 and I have used it.

That was around 2006 iirc.

That probably would have been the 1844 arrival, looks to have stood at Bournemouth for almost 2 hours before returning ECS to Southampton to work a Waterloo stopper.

Funnily enough, Portsmouth & Southsea has just been mentioned and this is where the unit would have come from before working to Bournemouth. It arrived at 1737, departing 1756 but I don't know if it was ever advertised as a through service. Anyone wanting Brockenhurst and Bournemouth could have changed at Southampton as there were two services at 1742 (VT) and 1751 (SWT). I can also find reference to a 0503 departure from Portsmouth Harbour, which upon arrival at Southampton had a short wait before forming a service to Poole.

stu

A Bournemouth to Bristol service would have been great when I used to travel from Christchurch to Bath Spa alot (provided it stopped at both stations, of course!), but ultimately when you can make a 9 minute connection B'mouth-Bath and a 20 minute Bath-B'mouth, I'm not sure a direct service would actually save much time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A Bournemouth to Bristol service would have been great when I used to travel from Christchurch to Bath Spa alot (provided it stopped at both stations, of course!), but ultimately when you can make a 9 minute connection B'mouth-Bath and a 20 minute Bath-B'mouth, I'm not sure a direct service would actually save much time.

We're also told that people want/prefer hourly clock face services, so there's no likelihood of the Portsmouth services being diverted. The odd few FGW services on that axis that terminate at Southampton couldn't be diverted without impacting their current diagrams, ie they would spend an hour en route to Bournemouth and back when they could be spending an hour in the Bristol area. So any proposal requires more stock. If FGW ever got any extra DMU stock they'd have far more useful things to so with it in the Bristol area.

GarethW

The bay at Fareham gets quite regular use - the Cardiff - Pmths start/terminate there when there's trouble down in Pmth or the train is running very late due to issues further up the line. Happens quite a lot.

By the by I used to get the last Victoria train out of Bmth from the bay at 2150 quite regularly after footie back in the day. Never anyone much on it, bloomin useful though always a good rattlin' ride. :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The bay at Fareham gets quite regular use - the Cardiff - Pmths start/terminate there when there's trouble down in Pmth or the train is running very late due to issues further up the line. Happens quite a lot.

I know, and SN also layover there if they are too late to reach Southampton.

However, there is no 'timetabled' use of the platform currently.

Oracle

Established Member
I have often wondered whether Southampton's west side bay ('P5 as would be') will ever be used for passengers services. I know it's short and signalled only for ECS etc movements but it could surely be put to use other than for stock stabling?

Lrd

Established Member
I have often wondered whether Southampton's west side bay ('P5 as would be') will ever be used for passengers services. I know it's short and signalled only for ECS etc movements but it could surely be put to use other than for stock stabling?
How about when/if they open the Fawley branch? Would the service be a shuttle from Southampton or will they divert the Romsey '6' service?

Status
Not open for further replies.