• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Food & Drink at Stations or very Near By

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
as the thread about onboard catering is going down well how about pubs etc.either on or close to stations that are great to call into while travelling or on a pub crawl.

My first suggestion is a famous old Classic

Stalybridge buffet bar, great for real ale drinkers and the memorabilia inside is great!

whats the others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichW1

Easy one for me this....St Pancras! If it's about more 'local' stations then I always thought Hebden Bridge was pretty good.

premier01

Easy one for me this....St Pancras! If it's about more 'local' stations then I always thought Hebden Bridge was pretty good.

I agree that St Pancras has to be the best for bars-as I noted in the other catering post there is The Champagne Bar which is great for watching the Eurostars come in and out and there's the Sir John Betjeman is also cool bar.

The bars at Manchester Piccadilly are also good but not in the same league!

Perhaps renaming post Best pubs and bars at stations or very Near By would delineate between the 2 subjects!

When I have time I always like to try out the very local pubs near stations

scotsman

Established Member
Who needs anything when you've got £2.99 and a Boots card!...oh wait, 30p, that'd be handy

Welshman

Established Member

Sorry - and I may be wrong about this - but I don't recall a pub on Hebden Bridge station. Do you mean Sowerby Bridge?

[I know, when you've had a few there it's quite easy to forget just where you are! :)

Anvil1984

Established Member
Sowerby Brudge has the Jubilee Rooms (never had a chance to pop in) but Hebden Bridge Cafe do a lovely Bacon, Sausage and Cheese sarnie to collect if your heading towards Leeds and order about 10 minutes before your due to depart or if you have the time whenever you want (in my case usually order at Rochdale when coming from Man Vic)

cuccir

Established Member
Prince of Wales, Foxfield. It's not an exaggeration to say that a good third or more of travellers to this station are heading to this station pub only.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What I would like to find would be a place like the one that used to be at Paddington up until about 15 years ago. These was a very large hot food place in the middle of the concourse just where the road access ramp comes down ( the building is still there; it's a shop now! ) which had things arranged pretty much like a "help yourself and pay according to which items you have chosen" hotel breakfast. Sausages, chips, beans, eggs, bacon and all sorts of other things.

Can't remember the name of the place now, but it was a very good place to call in at the end of a day's bashing. Very popular as well - always quite full. Never understood why it was closed down.

There was a similar place at King's Cross until about 5 years ago, although that one, while very nice, was nowhere near as good.

Do any stations still have such eateries?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
think sadly this low cost cantene type outlet has göe for good on the rail network but does in some places exist at some bus and coach stations although again sadly disappearing in favour of brands such as upper crust as buildings are moved or refurbished. Remember the place at Birmingham Digbeth Coach station prior to rebuilding with födnep - best sausage roj and chi7 ever, eaten many times during the first few years after I left school and my only affordable holiday was to grandparents in Leicester.
What I would like to find would be a place like the one that used to be at Paddington up until about 15 years ago. These was a very large hot food place in the middle of the concourse just where the road access ramp comes down ( the building is still there; it's a shop now! ) which had things arranged pretty much like a "help yourself and pay according to which items you have chosen" hotel breakfast. Sausages, chips, beans, eggs, bacon and all sorts of other things.

Can't remember the name of the place now, but it was a very good place to call in at the end of a day's bashing. Very popular as well - always quite full. Never understood why it was closed down.

There was a similar place at King's Cross until about 5 years ago, although that one, while very nice, was nowhere near as good.

Do any stations still have such eateries?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
These recommendations are for the beer, although some of the places do reasonable food

Nottingham:
Vat & Fiddle
Newshouse
however, under no circumstances should you try the Bentinck opposite the station

Derby:
Brunswick
Alexandra Hotel

Sheffield:
Sheffield Tap on Platform 1

Leeds: (these are all a bit of a walk)
The Grove
The Adelphi
Whitelocks

Manchester Oxford Road:
the Temple (converted underground gents toilet, odd but woth the visit)
Peverill of the Peak
Rain Bar
Briton's Protection

manchester Victoria:
hare & Hounds
Marble Arch (bit of a trek)

Ravenglass:
Ratty Arms

Bradford Forster Square:
The New Beehive (bit of a walk)

Keighley:
Several Timothy Taylor's pubs

Saltaire:
Fanny's

trickyvegas

Manchester Piccadilly - Would recommend The Bulls Head, just across the road from the Fairfield Street entrance as quality alternative to the on-station bars.

Greenfield The Railway Inn - a favourite with those doing the train/pub crawl. Excellent range of ciders and real ales.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
its gotta be the griffin just across from Carlisle station. Great bar menu, nothing fancy but just good bar meals, good drinks, well priced and there's a pool table!

I've been in the Griffen a few times. OK for me as I'm not fussy - but would one take their mother there esp if she is posh?

Any other suggestions in Carlisle. I'm taking her shopping there next week.

TIA

WL113

The Great Western in Wolverhampton is superb. Its near the station, down the subway. Codsall Station building is actually a pub, as well as still being a Station and has some great Holdens beer on.

Aictos

Established Member
This is far too easy for me!

If its Edinburgh then the best station pub for Edinburgh Waverley although not exactly on the station like the Nor Loch is, just has to be the Halfway House.

Always make a effort of making that the first port of call upon arrival at Edinburgh or for a last minute pint before heading home.

rmt-driver

The best for me would be The Railway, at Kew Gardens Station.

The beer selection is pretty good and the food is also nice. The pub is actually located on platform 2 access is from the front of the booking hall, there was access directly to/from the platform but I think this is now restricted when the automatic gates are in operation.

See some pics here : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/The_Railway_pub_at_Kew_Gardens_station.JPG http://www.rhcamra.org.uk/branchpubs/photos/kew/the-railway00.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/17/01/1170165_b8807f1a.jpg

Also quite interesting that it is the only London Underground managed station that has a pub on the platform. (Although it is Network Rail owned and track is NR infrastructure rather than LO)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
no maybe not öe for your mum. maybe the lakes court hotel? Or not quite that fussy lol. My gf likes the griffin and infact one sunday when TPE broke down and the next EDB was a while away, she chose to go there rather than for a propper sunday rost some place.
I've been in the Griffen a few times. OK for me as I'm not fussy - but would one take their mother there esp if she is posh?

Any other suggestions in Carlisle. I'm taking her shopping there next week.

TIA

Zamracene749

Just been in the Euston Tap- excellent selection of well kept beers and a good cider too- a bit pricey but worth it for the quality :)

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Does anyone know any good Cider places in the northwest near Rail Stations? I know theres the Boulevard in Wigan near both Wigan stations but thats only a late opener...4pm or something silly...

Also for food my best mate swears by the cafe opposite Wallgate for a good brekkie in the morning. Shamefully i never see a morning in Wigan

EM2

Established Member
Not a pub, but a café. Jump In Jacks just by Acton Town tube (turn left as you come out).
Needing a coffee before I hit the LT Museum Open Day, I popped in here. £1.20 for big cup of good coffee. It was so good, I came back for lunch, and had an excellent double egg on toast for £2.20.
Very highly recommended.

Yew

Established Member
Worksop has a bar serving real ale (ony looked in, not been in) anda cafe, that does awesome bacon sarnies, fresh coffee, and lost of train pics on the wall.

Im sure some older folks just go and sit in the cafe all day, then the bar all night ^^

pendolino

There's a great little cafe outside London Bridge, by the footbridge that leads to Guys Hospital. Run by a very friendly Portuguese family, they do great tea and coffee, and loads of different sandwiches and paninis etc., freshly made while you wait, all pretty reasonably priced for central London.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Don't forget that it's 20% off with a Bite card at station pubs run by SSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.